Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Olympics Countdown starts now

I am going to be at a wedding getting pissed up and having a jolly time, screw the opening ceremony :)

Highly priced tickets, costing either £2012 or £1600 each, are still available for Danny Boyle’s £27 million opening ceremony at the Olympic Stadium.
Closing ceremony seats on August 12, costing between £655 and £1500, are also still available, according to the London 2012 website.

they'd better be a lot cheaper than these prices to tempt me

Saw the flame chugging down Charring X road earlier, got me all a bit excited.

Events always start before the opening ceremony, they'd never fit all the footie in otherwise.

Saw the flame chugging down Charring X road earlier, got me all a bit excited.

Events always start before the opening ceremony, they'd never fit all the footie in otherwise.
there was a fuck load of people out in north finchley for the torch yesterday. The elephant was heaving: not seen it so busy in the day since the 90s

there was a fuck load of people out in north finchley for the torch yesterday. The elephant was heaving: not seen it so busy in the day since the 90s

You should have seen Trafalgar Square, fucking stoked it was. Decent weather and office kicking out time combined to swell the crowds.

This is pretty cool...

306628-united-nations-secretary-general-ban-ki-moon-with-torch.jpg

307045-olympic-torch-in-london.jpg

120724b_patrick_stewart.jpg

lumley-torch_2289448a.jpg

628x471.jpg

You know, I was a little surprised by all this. I've only really been reading about the London Olympics on Urban75, not elsewhere. And based on what I'd read here, I'd formed the unconscious belief that most people in London hated the Games. :(

120724b_patrick_stewart.jpg

lumley-torch_2289448a.jpg

628x471.jpg

You know, I was a little surprised by all this. I've only really been reading about the London Olympics on Urban75, not elsewhere. And based on what I'd read here, I'd formed the unconscious belief that most people in London hated the Games. :(

I think it's still the case that most people don't like it, TBH. I do talk to non-urbanites sometimes too. :D But we've paid for it and it's here so we're going to make the best of it. The better weather helps a hell of a lot.

If you'd had daily emails from TFL telling you you'd have to wait an hour just to get to the platform of your local station, so please avoid that station (where you live), then it'd be hard to get all geed up about it. It's like TFL are actively advertising against the games.

My GF and I are trying to work out how the hell she's going to get from SW London to East London in a car on Friday evening when the tunnels are partially closed for Olympic traffic - I'm hopeful that it won't be as bad as they say, but what TFL are saying is 'sit in traffic forever, basically, or give up and walk, loser!'

I think it's still the case that most people don't like it, TBH. I do talk to non-urbanites sometimes too. :D But we've paid for it and it's here so we're going to make the best of it. The better weather helps a hell of a lot.

If you'd had daily emails from TFL telling you you'd have to wait an hour just to get to the platform of your local station, so please avoid that station (where you live), then it'd be hard to get all geed up about it. It's like TFL are actively advertising against the games.

My GF and I are trying to work out how the hell she's going to get from SW London to East London in a car on Friday evening when the tunnels are partially closed for Olympic traffic - I'm hopeful that it won't be as bad as they say, but what TFL are saying is 'sit in traffic forever, basically, or give up and walk, loser!'

Sounds like somebody's messing up. During the Olympics here, the subway trains ran so frequently [something like every minute], that it was actually easier to get a train than usual.

p.s. I think there are a lot of negative grumps here at U75. I don't believe that most Londoners hate the games. The photos say different.

Olympic-torch-relay-final-008.jpg

BuckinghamPalacePA_2247992b.jpg

It'll be the biggest party the city's seen in decades. All you have to do is let yourself enjoy it. :)

Sounds like somebody's messing up. During the Olympics here, the subway trains ran so frequently [something like every minute], that it was actually easier to get a train than usual.

They are going to run more often, and later, than usual but the sheer numbers of people moving about today is bound to cause problems.

The station I usually alight at for work is a... what are they called? Junction for a couple of venues and I *appreciate* being warned off it. It's bad enough on an ordinary day.

They are going to run more often, and later, than usual but the sheer numbers of people moving about today is bound to cause problems.

The station I usually alight at for work is a... what are they called? Junction for a couple of venues and I *appreciate* being warned off it. It's bad enough on an ordinary day.

London is of course bigger, and with more people and larger excess crowds; but your subway infrastructure is that much larger as well. If they increase frequency to the max, it should be able to handle a hell of a lot of people.

Our trains usually run every four minutes. By increasing it to every one minute, capacity was increased fourfold.

The other thing they did here was for about two years in advance, they encouraged people to take vacation during the Games. A lot did, and that helped ease congestion. Although I suppose a lot of those same people used transit to attend events etc, but it was more spread out through the day.

You know, JC, something you said ages ago about the grumps realising they'd 'missed the biggest party ever thrown' really spoke to me. It supported my saguinity and now I'm excited :cool:

Lots of TFL announcements telling everyone not to travel from where they live to where they work :D

Talking to my friend downunder last week, telling her that we keep being told how much Sydney loved it and embraced the Games. Her: "I bet they didn't ask any bloody Australians, mate".

I bet we do love it, a bit, though. All that infectious enthusiasm generated by the Boris Boombox on the Tube, innit.

Back
Top Bottom