Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Olympic Scandals - list them here

I saw that. When I said 'last one I saw' I meant one earlier in the games.

I was wondering if the judging has been evenly misfiring being as both i've seen seem to be us losing to the hosts.

Judging scandal rocks Olympic boxing competition - BEIJING (AFP)

(Apols in advance for the C+P from AP).

Boxing officials were battling to contain major scandal on Saturday as serious claims of bribery and the manipulation of Olympic judging panels emerged after a series of disputed bouts.

The International Boxing Association (AIBA) suspended Romanian technical delegate Rudel Obreja after he held an impromptu and rowdy press conference and made lurid allegations against senior officials.

AIBA also revealed that it had been tracking "possible attempts of manipulation" for more than two months and had brought in an International Olympic Committee (IOC) observer "when the situation became more serious".

At a testy media conference late on Friday, AIBA technical delegate Terry Smith was grilled by journalists who questioned a series of Olympic results.

Smith insisted none of the fights was fixed although he said the scoring system, where three out of five judges need to press a button simultaneously for a point to be awarded, was under review.

"I'm quite confident that nothing has affected these bouts," Smith said.

Smith denied Obreja's suspension was a "tit-for-tat" move after the Romanian said a top official was involved in manipulating judging panels and claimed bribery was at work in AIBA presidential elections of 2006.

Obreja's unauthorised news conference earlier ended in chaos when it was interrupted by AIBA secretary-general Ho Kim and the two traded heated remarks.

Obreja had been about to be removed from the commission overseeing the computerised refereeing draw, according to disciplinary official Tom Virgets.

Friday's extraodinary developments accompany a series of ringside controversies which have incensed the boxers and coaches involved.

Frenchman Alexis Vastine screamed and wept after Dominican Felix Diaz was awarded a decisive two-point penalty for holding in the dying seconds of their light welterweight semi-final.

"I've been robbed," said Vastine. "I didn't know that could happen at the Olympics."

Irish light flyweight Paddy Barnes was staggered not to be awarded a single point against Zou Shiming in the Chinese world champion's 15-0 victory.

"The only way I could win here is if the judges got knocked out," he complained.

The Algerian camp had also claimed Ouatah Newfel was unfairly eliminated from the super heavyweight quarter-finals to smooth the path of China's Zhang Zhilei.

Ukrainian fighter Vyacheslav Glazkov, who beat Newfel and was due to face Zhang in the semis, withdrew at the last minute on Friday with an elbow injury.

AIBA's Smith said there had been no foul play, adding Obreja's allegations were "totally wrong".

"I will be the first to admit that not every point scored in boxing is recorded," he said.

"There will be points missed but we know most of the time that the right boxer wins the contest."

Smith added that Obreja's claims were under investigation and that AIBA hoped to settle the matter soon.

"We have got an ongoing investigation and we hope to secure the information we need to bring this to a conclusion," he said.

Disciplinary commission member Virgets also praised the reforms to the AIBA under Taiwanese president Wu Ching-Kuo.

"For 20 years this has been an organisation that has been under a cloud of suspicion but we have seen in the last year or so, under the new reforms, that that suspicion has been largely reduced," Virgets said.

Olympic boxing has a turbulent history including attacks on referees and sit-down protests. At Seoul 1988, Korean boxing officials attacked New Zealand referee Keith Walker, sparking a full-scale riot.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5i0J3PV86a7dw4ZTn7vPRG1NLLDAQ

Yeah, Chinese. She got in a head shot which is worth two points and would have won her the fight but it wasn't registered (I think it has to be registered by three of the four judges). There was a big discussion with the ref before he awarded the fight to the Chinese lass.
Did you just see the official maing the statement?!
:eek::cool:

Yeah well, that real life stuff is always overrated ;)

Im off to try it again though, Im being treated to breakfast at Wetherspoons :cool:

*two thumbs up*

Today I shall be mostly ignoring the sport on the tellybox and, erm, going to watch the Rovers v Hereford.

I do do things not involving spectator sport, honest

read from other site
Here Hacker 'proves' Olympic gymnasts underage

Seems obvious to me that it can only look as if Beijing has been well-and-truly nabbed on this.

Official records showing that 3 of the Chinese gymnasts are underage have been deleted by authorities from the official site, while Passports, birth certificates and other documents have been (quickly manufactured and?) presented to the FIG to "prove" they are 16.

The Chinese are calling this "an insult" and will certainly ratchett up the noise unless this goes away quickly.

It is politically impossible to say that "China" is lying about this. Nobody that matters wants to piss-off Beijing.

Meanwhile, another Chinese gymnast, Yang Yun, has admitted on state owned television that she was just 14 (and, hence, ineligible to compete,) when she won 2 medals in the Sydney 2000 games.

Will she now be stripped of these medals? And will the Chinese gymnastic team or international sports teams suffer any consequences for the cheating?

At the end of the day, I think that the cheating from Sydney 2000 will go without much comment and entirely unpunished and the debacle this year will also fade without repercussions.

In the final analysis, the FIG and the IOC accept passports and birth certificates as "proof" - so once the authorities in China verify that the passports/birth certificates are "genuine", what else is there to be said?

:rolleyes:

It really is a rum state of affairs.

:(

Woof

well...it's impossible to prove she's underage.

got put into consideration that all gymnasts physique are kinda stunted.
and that she's chinese...

angry americans won't let this go...:D

well...it's impossible to prove she's underage.

The evidence looks pretty complelling, frankly. Various different official documents from different official institutions - including the National Register of Gymnasts - all listing her birthday as 01/01/1994 - all suddenly disappearing from the web. Numerous reports from the State-owned press at different times, such as the one below from the People's Daily, published on 23rd May 2008 (translated/reprinted from the China Daily).

He (or it may have been one of the other two "suspects",) has been interviewed previously and last year gave her age as 13.

Olympic gymnastics title contenders suddenly have one more thing to worry about other than the eight gold medals China claimed at the Tianjin World Cup last week. Her name is He Kexin.

The 14-year-old newcomer to the national team, who was recruited last year, has raised a lot of eyebrows recently after she broke two world records on the uneven bars in as many months. She will be just one more weapon on an already star-studded Chinese Olympic squad.

The Wuhan native brought her dazzling show to Tianjin, scoring 17.200 points in her routine on May 14. That broke the previous record of 16.850, which she set a month ago at the Cottbus World Cup.

With less than 80 days until the Beijing Olympics, where Chinese gymnasts will be among the medal favorites, He hopes to win China its first uneven bars gold medal in 16 years.

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90779/90867/6416685.html

All of this stuff has been out there for many, many months uncorrected and suddenly it starts rapidly disappearing.

And, of course, China is doing its utmost to prevent any of its citizens get wind of this. There will be nothing about it in the Chinese media and don't bother trying to use the internet from within the mainland to find anything.

A email received by Stryde Hax, sent from within China:

While your blog has not been discovered by authorities yet, if I do a search for "NYTimes and underage gymnasts" on Google my internet connectivity at home is suspended for 15 minutes, and I am unable to establish any outside connections to ANY website from any computer in my home. In addition, while researching the gymnasts scandal, my internet searches routinely turned up blank pages for well known sites whose uptime is better than four 9s and my internet connection was suspended several times for 15 minutes each

But, of course, you are right. It's impossible to prove, because Beijing has come up with "passports" and "ID Cards".

Woof

Aug. 24 (Bloomberg) -- A Chinese Olympic gymnastics champion whose age is under investigation had her date of birth incorrectly registered at a tournament last year, leading to inaccurate reports of her age, Chinese officials said today.

And, of course, this explanation is total and utter bollocks!

It doesn't explain why she has been officially registered with the General Administration of Sport of China, listing her D.O.B. as 01/01/1994, since AT LEAST 2005.

Or why she is also listed with the same D.O.B. with the Beijing Municipal Sports Bureau. And has been registered with the same D.O.B. at the Wuhan Sports Bureau since at least 2004/2005.

These and all other traces of documentation have been deleted/removed from the Chinese government server: www.sport.gov.cn, within the last few days - but are still available on mirrrors if you're willing to have a dig.

These "officials" are telling porkie pies. We are being treated to a classic example of government censorship and state sponsored fraud!

:rolleyes:

Woof

More........

China has a rich history of age falsification in Olympics competition, especially in gymnastics. At the 2000 Sydney Olympics, three years after the minimum age was raised to 16 in gymnastics, Chinese gymnast Yang Yun competed and won a bronze medal in the uneven bars (coincidentally this event is also He's specialty).

Yang's passport said she was born on December 24, 1984 and turning 16 in the year of the Games, making her eligible. She later confessed in a television interview that she was only 14 at the time of the competition and that she and her coaches had lied about her age.

As in the case of Yang Yun, the existing records [on He,] prior to the Olympics -- local registries, athletic records and news articles -- were all correct, whereas the documentation she showed Olympic officials to confirm her eligibility proved to be false. It is no coincidence that He Kexin's passport was issued on February 14, 2008, a mere 6 months before the Olympics.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-flumenbaum/scandal-of-the-ages-docum_b_118842.html

Are we going to see Yang Yun's medals rescinded by the IOC?

:hmm:

Woof

well...it'd be a shame cos she deserved those medals...great winner...great champ...humble as hell too. the american coach was harsh as fuck to all of the chinese competitors - it was as if they wanted to win by default...and i'm glad they did so poorly...

how come china have a rich history of age falsication?
there was only one other story...
and they're pretty new to the games...

The worst scandal is that David Beckham and Boris Johnson are going to be representing Britain in the closing ceremony.

well...it'd be a shame cos she deserved those medals...great winner...great champ...humble as hell too.

She didn't "deserve those medals".

She was ineligible to compete.

China cheated.

Do you think that drug-cheats should get to keep their medals too?

:confused:

how come china have a rich history of age falsication?
there was only one other story...
and they're pretty new to the games...

There are plenty of stories - most of them involving intra-China competitions where competitors lie to enter age-limit competitions.

Within China's domestic sports scene there has been age-fixing as well. Young athletes can be designated as younger than they are so they can dominate in age-based competitions, as was the case with Chinese basketball star Wang Zhizhi, whose age was listed in inter-club competitions as two years younger than he actually was.

Earlier this year, a 14-year-old table-tennis prodigy in eastern Shandong province told me quite cheerfully that she competes as an 11-year-old in provincial and regional age-ranked competitions. Her national identity card, she said, had been changed to reflect the false birth-date. "It's no big deal," she insisted. "Most of my friends do it, too." Her coach, who hadn't been present when I interviewed the girl, denied any age-fixing at the school, although he said he was quite sure it happened at other academies.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1832312,00.html?imw=Y

Woof

Chinese gymnast Yang Yilin, Beijing 2008.

200706150007_76958.jpg

Registration lists from 2003 to 2006, previously posted on the Web site of the General Administration of Sport of China, said Yang was born on Aug. 26, 1993, which means she will turn 15 later this month. Gymnasts must turn 16 during the year of the Olympics to be eligible to compete in the Games.

On the 2007 registration list, Yang's birthday changed to Aug. 26, 1992, suddenly making her old enough for the Olympics

http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2008/08/busted-china-caught-cheating-female.html

Woof

well...it'd be a shame cos she deserved those medals...great winner...great champ...humble as hell too.
The problem is, she's a couple of years too young. And that's cheating in gymnastics. There's a reason why younger girls had to be banned from competing; countries were not voluntarily going to give up that advantage.

He Kexin's main advantage on the uneven bars is being able to swing between them at full stretch because she's so tiny. If she's underage, it is cheating.

I'll be heartbroken if she has to hand those medals back - she was wonderful. But China cheated, and that's not fair on the other competitors.

She didn't "deserve those medals".
She was ineligible to compete.
China cheated.
Do you think that drug-cheats should get to keep their medals too?

NO
rules are rules ;)

But China cheated, and that's not fair on the other competitors.
Dam right

Back
Top Bottom