Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Olympic Footie

Diamond

The Red Baron
Great game just finished between Nigeria and USA. For some reason this footie tournament always seems to come good, probably something to do with the inexperience of the competitors. Some interesting games coming up in just under an hour. Ivory Coast - Australia will be pretty tasty, Argentina - Serbia could be a reprise of the Argies' World Cup 2006 masterclass, and China might well be taught a lesson by Brazil who have a ridiculously impressive squad.

Olympic footie - as it stands:-

Great game just finished between Nigeria and USA. For some reason this footie tournament always seems to come good, probably something to do with the inexperience of the competitors. Some interesting games coming up in just under an hour. Ivory Coast - Australia will be pretty tasty, Argentina - Serbia could be a reprise of the Argies' World Cup 2006 masterclass, and China might well be taught a lesson by Brazil who have a ridiculously impressive squad.

Wednesday 13 August - (final group stage matches):

Men's group A:

Argentina 2-0 Serbia

Ivory Coast 1-0 Australia

Group A winners: Argentina
Runners up: Ivory Coast

Men's group B:

Netherlands 1-0 Japan

Nigeria 2-1 United States

Group B winners: Nigeria
Runners up: Netherlands - USA missed out on qualifying by 1 goal i.e. a 2-2 draw would have been good enough to get into to the last eight.

Men's group C:

China 0-3 Brazil

New Zealand 0-1 Belgium

Group winner C winners: Brazil
Runners up: Belgium

Men's group D:

South Korea 1-0 Honduras

Cameroon 0-0 Italy

Group D winners: Italy
Runners up: Cameroon

Olympic Football Tournament - Quarter Final Draw (Saturday 16th August):-

Brazil vs Cameroon
Belgium vs Italy
Argentina vs Netherlands
Nigeria vs Cote D'Ivoire (Ivory Coast)

There are some interesting ties e.g. The West African Derby - Nigeria vs Ivory Coast & Argentina vs The Dutch. I haven't watched the footie as much as i would have liked. But Diamond - which teams do you reckon will make it to the semi-finals? **reminds myself to watch the USA vs Nigeria match on the Beeb Sports website**

Potentially the defending champs Argentina could meet their arch rivals Brazil in the semi's. Italy will more than likely to beat Belgium with the players that they've got and i'm not too sure on who win between the West African duo.

Brazil, Italy and the Ivory Coast were very, very impressive in the preliminaries. You should be able to find highlights of the olympic goals from each round of the preliminaries on iplayer.

I always miss this, i have seen a couple and was pretty unimpressed to be honest, after the Euro2008 being so good, and the premier league starting i found the standard really low, I think it's cos they are in south china in august

Back
Top Bottom