Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Oil rig type thing in the thames and old bridge spans?

Etymologist

λάθε βιώσας
whatisthis-1.jpg

Just east of Blackfriars bridge.

What on earth is this thing in the centre of the picture? Anyone?

And does anyone know the story behind these old red bridge spans in the background?

it's a cute little Lift Boat.

They are used as handy work platforms so they have a little crane and stuff so you could use them as a stable platform for repairing bridges (they get used a lot in the shallow water oil-field here for maintaining oil rigs).

When they want to move it they will jack the hull into the water and the legs up into the air. I'd guess the legs will rotoate horizontally to get under the bridges. It looks like it has a little outboard on the back to allow it to move around but i'm sure they use a tug with the currents in the river.

from wiki..

Blackfriars Bridge

The current bridge was completed in 1869 and consists of five wrought iron arches built to a design by Joseph Cubitt. Cubitt also designed the adjacent rail bridge (now demolished) and it was a condition that the spans of the two bridges be aligned.

The editor of the SE1 community website has done some research - it is for a structural survey of the railway bridge in advance of the Thameslink project for a new Blackfriars station built straddling the St Pauls railway bridge of 1886 still in use and the piers of the demolished Alexandra Railway Bridge of 1865. (The massive London Chatham & Dover Railway shields have only been paired on the south bank for about fifteen years, IIRC - one was previously on the City side)

(ETA I'm pretty sure that this was formerly the Alexandra Bridge, and Victorian London agrees, but both Chris Roberts' Cross River Traffic and Googling several otherwise reliable sites reckon that the even uglier railway bridge into Cannon Street was Alexandra Bridge :confused:)

Who built it? Once I watched a film of a dutch floating/boat crane ....so I'm wondering if it was Dutch or built in UK?

I think it is a ruse.

About four years ago there was a very similar rig on Westminster Bridge drilling and looking for unexploded ordinances.

From a company called FoodGrow

old WW2 bombs

IIRC they had to completely redesign the new Hungerford footbridges when they realised there were probably a couple lying somewhere in the riverbed between near where they wanted to pile and a few yards away from the southbound tunnel of the Northern Line :eek:

Just to clarify to all this modualar jack up rig was built in CORNWALL in 2000 and she has many sister ships. and at present is current performing drilling operations.:):)

One for the many anoraks here .......

Locomotives are normally banned from Blackfriars Bridge apart from the class 73 locomotives (and then with special working arrangements)

Just as well its being checked over - we wouldent want a big splash would we when they build the new station over the bridge ....!!!

Just to clarify to all this modualar jack up rig was built in CORNWALL in 2000 and she has many sister ships. and at present is current performing drilling operations.:):)

So its a modular jack up rig. What exactly is that?

It has sister ships. What does that mean? There are others like it I'm guessing.

It is currently performing drilling operations to what purpose?

So its a modular jack up rig. What exactly is that?

It has sister ships. What does that mean? There are others like it I'm guessing.

It is currently performing drilling operations to what purpose?
1. modu·lar (mäjə lər) adjective designating or of units of standardized size, design, construction, etc. that can be arranged or fitted together in a variety of ways

jack-up (plural jack-ups) or jack-up rig (plural jack-up rigs) noun oil rig with retractable legs: an offshore oil rig with a floating hull and retractable legs that can be lowered to the seabed for support

2. No flies on you

3. See post #6 above

Again, quoting from the invaluable team at London-SE1, but this time from their "dead tree" monthly newsletter in SE1

inSE1 September edition said:
Blackfriars Railway Bridge to be 'recreated' in light

DRIFT 08, a major riverbased contemporary art
exhibition, begins on Friday 26 September.

The exhibition – organised by Southwark-based Illuminate
Productions - i s a series of strategically-placed artworks in
and alongside the Thames between Blackfriars Bridge and Tower Bridge.

The installations include the recreation of the old Blackfriars
Railway Bridge through laser light, mythical creatures swimming in the
river at twilight at London Bridge and the sounds of a phantom beach
echoing around the Millennium Bridge.

Audiences will have the chance to become part of a painting at an
installation in the middle of the river across from Tate Modern.
A yacht caught for posterity in the sinking position will also be featured
and installed for the exhibition’s duration at Canary Wharf.

The installation at Blackfriars Railway Bridge by Keith Bowler
coincides with the start of work on the new Blackfriars Station which will
span the width of the river as part of the Thameslink programme.

A series of free public boat tours will be run in conjunction with
the exhibition where people will be brought along the route of the show
to enjoy the installations close up.

• DRIFT continues until Sunday 19
October.

www.drift.org.uk

Back
Top Bottom