Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Am I just an Old Tight Wanker? Local Cinema

I saw a genuinely mental Bollywood movie about the Mogul-Maratha war on someone's huge fukc-off telly a few weeks ago. I think it counts as a genuinely cinematic experience, but with one difference, now I think about it - more ambient light from the living room windows.

It's all in your head.
Tango has always been below the sugar tax threshold.
They always used a combo of sugar and sweetener.
One of the few drinks that didn't change a single thing when the sugar tax came in and didn't have to charge extra.
That's not what it says on the Britvic website, and they make the stuff

The recipe was changed in 2019

You can eat your own food on a comfortable sofa at home and watch any film you want on a very large television. Cinema was a communal experience, once, but then so were baths. Time moves on.
True, but I can’t watch films at home - too many distractions (or potential ones). Also I just like to go out rather than stay at home. So I’ll always prefer the cinema experience - although I only ever go in the daytime so I avoid packed screenings.

Cinemas are always far too loud for me, not to mention the rip-off admissions / snacks n drinks.

tbh, I have only been to the real cinema on a few occasions since I left my student days behind me.

However, the Tyneside Cinema [Newcastle/Tyne] has a very good cafe attached - but since I don't work in the area anymore, I don't know how prices compare ...

For the odeons you can take your own stuff in and (I think) most have a cheap day of the week. Odeon West End is £8 on a monday. Streatham Odeon saver tickets are a fiver.
If you have Sky Cinema you get two free Vue tickets every month, but not for Friday and Saturday. I used one to see the Bikeriders on Sunday afternoon.
You can take your own snacks in.

Cinemas are always far too loud for me,
Depends on the cinema/film.
not to mention the rip-off admissions
As mentioned, depends on the cinema/when you go.
/ snacks n drinks.
Not obligatory. I normally don't buy either.

tbh, I have only been to the real cinema on a few occasions since I left my student days behind me.
Guess it's quite a while since you were a student so could be you're not that clued up on cinema going.

I love the idea of indie cinemas showing poncey films in a nice setting but have to be honest and say my attendance has fallen off a cliff since Covid, kids and streaming. And expensive like everything else now.

I love the idea of indie cinemas showing poncey films in a nice setting but have to be honest and say my attendance has fallen off a cliff since Covid, kids and streaming. And expensive like everything else now.
I’d say it isn’t necessarily expensive, I reckon my average ticket price is approx £5 which I think is good value as it’s hard to get a pint for that.

My local cinema has gone up lately. £6.75 for adults on a weekday and a tenner at the weekends. £6 all the time for kids.

For an extra £3 you can sit in the smaller rooms which have sofas, footstools and blankets. Plus you can get pie and mash at your seat, and wine or cocktails if you choose.

This was a peak cost of living/inflation moment for me.

was at my local cinema yesterday which is attached to a library. me and the kids go to the library every fortnight. last night they were thirsty so went into the cinema cafe and ordered two of this.

View attachment 430573

for two: £6.20.

can i just do a sense check here...is that disgusting? two cans of fizzy apple.

i just walked away, said sorry i am not paying that.

and then i felt mental, that it's all in my head, and people would pay that without a single care.
Not tight but I am surprised that you are surprised. I've pretty much always sneaked my own refreshments in because of the elevated prices (now insane).

Last time we went to the cinema I left N unsupervised for 5 minutes while I went to the loo and when I came out found he'd spent £14 on cocktails from the bar. :mad:

This in a cinema that lets you take in your own drinks and sweets/cold snacks - we could have made cocktails at home and put them in plastic bottles for a fraction of the price!

This was a peak cost of living/inflation moment for me.

was at my local cinema yesterday which is attached to a library. me and the kids go to the library every fortnight. last night they were thirsty so went into the cinema cafe and ordered two of this.

View attachment 430573

for two: £6.20.

can i just do a sense check here...is that disgusting? two cans of fizzy apple.

i just walked away, said sorry i am not paying that.

and then i felt mental, that it's all in my head, and people would pay that without a single care.
assume this is my local too. we usually stock up on snacks from the lidl or a lock offie and take em in. no one checks and the tickets are expensive enough. shame as its a lovely little cinema.

Back
Top Bottom