Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Official Dorset Thread

Worry not, he spent 6 months in the UK in his 20s and used to work as a tour guide across the Middle East & Turkey. He is smart, speaks good English and is generally sociable and very good company. That said, he has had a pretty tough time here and really does need a bit of warmth & kindness.
Will be good to meet him :)

I'm sick! I'm so sorry, was really looking forward to this but I've woken up with Mr Looby's cold.

I could probably come out and try to kill it with tequila but I've got a heavy uni week next week so can't risk it.
[emoji20]

I grew up in Weymouth, having not been back for 20 years, what a dump! It was never perfect, but it looks so neglected now - nobody seems to give a toss and everywhere is just wasteland and junk. I really don't know what the council tax is being spent on, but sure as hell isn't anything the residents are benefitting from!
Used to be jeckyl and hyde town back then. Old people and pleasentries during the day and when nght fell we all came out and started getting drunk and and trying to kill each other - it was ok!
Shame to see it all going down hill.

I grew up in Weymouth, having not been back for 20 years, what a dump! It was never perfect, but it looks so neglected now - nobody seems to give a toss and everywhere is just wasteland and junk. I really don't know what the council tax is being spent on, but sure as hell isn't anything the residents are benefitting from!
Used to be jeckyl and hyde town back then. Old people and pleasentries during the day and when nght fell we all came out and started getting drunk and and trying to kill each other - it was ok!
Shame to see it all going down hill.
Neglected how / where exactly? Everywhere isn't wasteland and junk IMO/IME - bloody fantastic place, but I'm a recent incomer from That There London so probably know fuck all tbf :)

Oh, it's not too bad. Quite a few closed down shops though. Closing down the (purpose built) tourist office was a massive mistake. What, in particular, didn't you like on your visit?

When I used to live there things were .....cared for more....can't put my finger on it really. Just seemed unkempt - don't mind it being rough, thats the homely part but fields that were once used now wasteland, Everything just seems to be closed up, screwed up and looking sad. Maybe its just the passage of time?

Neglected how / where exactly? Everywhere isn't wasteland and junk IMO/IME - bloody fantastic place, but I'm a recent incomer from That There London so probably know fuck all tbf :)

I guess if you have seen what is there now, you may not have seen the small amount of pride it had before, the rest is really mentioned above.

I'm surprised Bournemouth is there (which many consider to be Hampshire) and not sandbanks. St Brelades Bay in Jersey is an amazing beach. My friend got married there, I kind of hate jersey but I loved that beach.

Just regarding Weymouth beach - they lost it decades ago. Let me briedly explain......Preston sea wall used to be breached every winter. Cars and lorries would be buried in pebbles and the road closed for weeks. So they built sea defences you see today (the previous 'beach' of shingle along there was half the width it is now - just a strip really. In building this defence, the sea attacked further down the seafront and all the sand was washed away save for a few metres near the pavilion where it got stuck. The previously deep and golden sands of Weymouth were lost for good and replaced with shingle.

So now, every season the lorries arrive.....carrying sand and the winter shingle is replaced with sand from the local builders yard, and every morning drivers with dozers push and rake it all up the other end......So!......want to see the sands of Weymouth? Jewsons is the place to go!:thumbs:

It DID get second place in this farcical 'most violent seaside town in the uk' once I seem to recall. On the basis you could buy a gun in under 3 minutes, Brighton achieved it in 2. They obviously didnt ask the right people! It was always a Jekyl and hyde town- Ice cream and Hankies by day, knives and Guns by night but that is what we grew up with so never really noticed. But for all that it was cleaner than now.

Oh! And who the F~~~ moved Ridgeway Hill? Where did the bend go? How do you get to Beirut now?

Sounds like I've turned up from London just in time to gentrify the fuck out of the place :thumbs:

My impression differs from yours - the council are really on it keeping the place clean ime

There are loads of sketchy people but seaside towns always attract all the nutters and criminals.

Re the sand, I walk my dog on the beach every day, you're wrong about the council bringing it in cos just last week they finished seasonal preparations - by digging sand up from just beyond the low water line and dumping it in huge piles just above the highest water line then bulldozing it all from there to the rest of the beach to make it all flat, clean, lovely and beach like :) I witnessed it from start to finish, took over a week in total. They did a really good job, it looks great. I'll get a picture tomorrow.

The sand is natural, and the council do in fact occasionally sell some of it - because it has long been known to be some of the very finest and cleanest sand in the UK Thus we are the home of sandsculpting, and there's this brilliant place too -

Literally-Sand-Sandworld-Weymouth-2014.jpg

IT'S LITERALLY SAND :D

:cool:

Last edited:
They may have changed their systems over the years, but I used to watch the lorries dumping the sand ready for summer, and it didn't come from further up.....supplied by a mates' father. He used to make a packet out of that and it was a bonus point in the year as he bought a new toy ...sunseeker yacht was the last one i knew of. He'd take it to Alderney on auto pilot to go fishing. lol! He is probably passed on now, not seen them for many years.

As for the council, you can only go by the results you see - and currently it looks neglected and downtrodden. No arguments, its' shabby! Had friends in the council so I know what goes on at council meetings.....lol....to be fair, it is the same in Westminster, only they put it in cakes.

Like I say, I no longer recognise the town. Things may have changed, I may see more than you are it is gradual to a resident - to me its' a shock! I liked its' Jeckyl and Hyde character, it was home. Now, to me, it looks tired and done. It says 'Nobody Cares' It is a shame!

I'm free weekends after 15th may apart from weekends of 3/4 and 10/11 of June.

I will do my absolute best to come to this one but I totally appreciate that you should not plan a date around me because I'm so unreliable. [emoji1]

Just seen your tagline twentythreedom. I had a less than successful weekend on Portland... vomiting toddler, a fireplace that smoked out the whole house, and grim weather. Interesting place though, felt quite northern with the spoil heaps and terraced houses, iirc.

Just seen your tagline twentythreedom. I had a less than successful weekend on Portland... vomiting toddler, a fireplace that smoked out the whole house, and grim weather. Interesting place though, felt quite northern with the spoil heaps and terraced houses, iirc.
Sorry to hear about your weekend. Portland is amazing, really very odd, quirky but also beautiful and stunning :) Some very strange people there too. Did you go to the Bill?

Sorry to hear about your weekend. Portland is amazing, really very odd, quirky but also beautiful and stunning :) Some very strange people there too. Did you go to the Bill?
I didn't see it in the best light on that occasion really (February :rolleyes: ) :D Yes, went to the Bill, and I remember a little cove that was nice that we walked down to, plus the end of Chesil Beach. And finding the prison (looks like a castle?) imposing. This was 10+ years ago though. Also watched some sailing there since.

I didn't see it in the best light on that occasion really (February :rolleyes: ) :D Yes, went to the Bill, and I remember a little cove that was nice that we walked down to, plus the end of Chesil Beach. And finding the prison (looks like a castle?) imposing. This was 10+ years ago though. Also watched some sailing there since.
Church Ope Cove? (SSSSSHH!! Don't tell anyone!)

What sailing?

Back
Top Bottom