Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Oasis at Knebworth - 20 years ago today!

I nearly went. Was 15 years old and my mate had scored tickets and asked if I wanted to go.. for free too! Couldn't go as I'd already booked a flight to Ireland. Sigh.

I still rate be here now. Robbie Williams outsold the size of their gig when he played the same space if you remember. And gloated about it

Went without a ticket to see the Prodigy. Didn't manage to blag my way in until Oasis came on. They were embarrassing.

All that pretentious imagery, what was it? Conflating Lennon, Gandhi, Marley. Really shit.

Went without a ticket to see the Prodigy. Didn't manage to blag my way in until Oasis came on. They were embarrassing.

All that pretentious imagery, what was it? Conflating Lennon, Gandhi, Marley. Really shit.

"Pretentious imagery" suggests some level of intelligent thought went into them. They're just mindless garbage pronounced in an overemphatic way to make them sound less nonsensical.

Here are some words
I don't know if they're verbs
I could check if they rhyme
But I don't have the tiiiiiimmmme

I saw them at the old Wembley Stadium 4 years later which was good cos they had Doves and Happy Mondays supporting.

Oasis were alright up until Standing On The Shoulder of Giants. I generally consider everything after that point to be utter shiiiiiite so that was their watershed for me.

they were great at the time, the early stuff felt great. but it hasn't aged well and now just sounds dirge. but i was young at the time and i thought there was something captivating about them. i remember all my mates buying their first guitar album after years of listening to garage, jungle etc.

I think I got bored of them after the first two albums.

The gig itself was a total rip off, they wouldn't let us take in any food or drink so we had to abandon all our stuff outside, then queue for half an hour to get a cup of water for £1.

Can't remember much about the bands, apart from the Manics, who were ace.

I actually saw quite a lot of them in their early days and for the time they were pretty decent. When Liam and Noel's heads got as big as the big stadiums they started playing in they lost it for me.

Saw them at the Apollo in Manchester with the kids mum when she was 8 months preggers and the nipper used to love cigarettes and alcohol. Got a bit of video footage of her singing it in her nappy somewhere :D

I thought Oasis were only about 5 years ago. Time plays tricks with the mind. They were crap though, I couldn't imagine anyone queueing up to see them.

I recall there were issues with the audio/video sync too. The crowd went so far back that many ended up watching the band via the video screens (oh the irony) and ended up hearing what they were viewing about 1 or 2 seconds after they'd seen it.

Crap then, still crap, forever crap
Dependable as Herpes
Never to be got rid of and with vile reminders form time to time.......

cocaine is a hell of a drug
especially when fans donated your own body weight in same via inflated price ticket sales every gig.......
Saw Ella Fitzgerald and Oscar Peterson Quintet at a free gig same venue round 5 years before........
oooooooooh AAAAAA cyst (Is causing me ear agony, etc) played:- Could the standards have slipped any lower I thought at the time?
Well, obviously no
That tatted no voice talentless ego seepage know as Robbie WillyWonky went on to lower the tone still further....

I recall there were issues with the audio/video sync too. The crowd went so far back that many ended up watching the band via the video screens (oh the irony) and ended up hearing what they were viewing about 1 or 2 seconds after they'd seen it.

Yes, we did. We were nowhere near the stage!

they were great at the time, the early stuff felt great. but it hasn't aged well and now just sounds dirge. but i was young at the time and i thought there was something captivating about them. i remember all my mates buying their first guitar album after years of listening to garage, jungle etc.
dirge is harsh but fair. I still love the lines here

Take the time to make some sense
Of what you want to say
And cast your words away upon the waves

And sail them home with acquiesce
On a ship of hope today
And as they land upon the shore
Tell them not to fear no more
Say it loud, and sing it proud today

no idea what its meant to mean but I just enjoyed it for the aural shape of the words. And noel is always the better vocalist

I went on the Saturday. Really liked them at the time. First time they played Earls Court was the best gig I saw them do. Morning Glory was just out iirc.

dirge is harsh but fair. I still love the lines here

Take the time to make some sense
Of what you want to say
And cast your words away upon the waves

And sail them home with acquiesce
On a ship of hope today
And as they land upon the shore
Tell them not to fear no more
Say it loud, and sing it proud today

no idea what its meant to mean but I just enjoyed it for the aural shape of the words. And noel is always the better vocalist

It's almost worthy of the greatest lyricist of the 90s, Des'ree.

This is their best song:

Some day you will find me
And so Sally can wait,
she knows it's too late
In a champagne supernova in the sky
There are many things that I would
Like to say to you
But I don't know how

Not sure they did any other songs.

This is their best song:

Some day you will find me
And so Sally can wait,
she knows it's too late
In a champagne supernova in the sky
There are many things that I would
Like to say to you
But I don't know how

Not sure they did any other songs.

Nah, that's the prime example of why they're shit. Everyone goes 'ooh, champagne supernova, what can it mean, it's really enigmatic.' No it's not. It's two random words stuck together that don't mean anything, pretending to be deep.

Back
Top Bottom