Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nutritional "advice" entering the Twilight Zone?

Mrs Miggins

There's been a slight cheese accident
I have seen 2 things in the last 24 hours that have really started to make me wonder what the hell is going on with our relationship with food. Ms Gwyneth Paltrow and Mr Pete Evans are currently espousing the benefits of foods that I hardly even recognise as food. I used to consider these people harmless crackpots but I am starting to find their pronouncements more sinister as I feel it has a lot more to do with conspicuous displays of wealth and status than any kind of sound nutritional advice. And it is starting to make me angry.

Screenshot_20170821-114739.png FB_IMG_1503272822720.jpg

I think I am more angry with Pete Evans who is apparently a "Weight Watchers Ambassador". We can easily dismiss Gwyneth as a daft Hollywood loon but Pete Evans is actually putting this menu up as something to aspire to. Who has the time or money to faff about sourcing all that bollocks never mind making it all? And who in their right mind would actually want to eat like that? It feels like it is designed to make people feel even worse about themselves rather than better.

Seriously though, these people are profiteering from hypochondria and deception by placebo. They're con artists, no better than 411 scammers ripping off y'nan by email.
I agree and they need to be stopped. There are enough people who really need help with their health or with weight loss and putting this shit up as a "healthy diet" is just insanity.

"Place the nuts, water and salt in a bowl and leave to soak overnight. If you are using cashews or macadamias, you will only need to soak them for about 4-6 hours. Rinse off the nuts and spread out onto a baking tray and pop into the oven on the lowest possible temperature for 12-24 hours"

Activated almonds LOL

I want to know how you 'activate' an almond. Do you feed it some 'phet?

It's summat to do with soaking them in cold water then letting them dry, iirc. Supposedly it does ... things :hmm:

I usually see activated almonds recommended as a kind of running joke on r/fitness :D

one teaspoon macca?

paultea2.jpg

'no ta love I'm sweet enough'

I looked up Pete Evans because I didn't know who he was. He's an Australian chef. I wouldn't go to his restaurant.
He's pretty high profile in Australia and New Zealand and presents TV shows as well as being a chef. I don't think I will be able to watch the next series of the cooking show he is a judge on because I will keep wanting to punch the television.

He's pretty high profile in Australia and New Zealand and presents TV shows as well as being a chef. I don't think I will be able to watch the next series of the cooking show he is a judge on because I will keep wanting to punch the television.
I hear australia has mad beef with NZ now because of this dual citizenship furore fucking with australias government of the day lol and they have crap tv chefs, thats probably an underlying reasin

I hear australia has mad beef with NZ now because of this dual citizenship furore fucking with australias government of the day lol and they have crap tv chefs, thats probably an underlying reasin
Yeah that is quite the scandal at the moment and nobody really knows yet just who started asking questions or why. Fucking ludicrous if you ask me.

You should see Masterchef Australia. It's a mental shitstorm of overly dramatic music and overenthusiastic description of what you can already see happening. With your eyes.

All this 'wellness' stuff massively pissess me off, it's dangerous and silly. Ruby Tandoh has written some good articles about it and how the language used around wellness is similar to disordered eating.
I might look those up as I am starting to feel the same. My neice is now suffering with anorexia which I am sure has been caused, at least in part, by this kind of crazy food culture. She eats all this kind of nonsense.

Yeah that is quite the scandal at the moment and nobody really knows yet just who started asking questions or why. Fucking ludicrous if you ask me.

You should see Masterchef Australia. It's a mental shitstorm of overly dramatic music and overenthusiastic description of what you can already see happening. With your eyes.
they do seem an excitable lot. I read someone waxing wroth about how the ANZAC spirit forged in battle was being dishonored and etc etc. The best/worst bit is that when barnaby has entered pariliament the oppo are giving it 'baaa-narby'. Sheep shagger jokes? really. people in glass houses...

My sister knows some people who run a little wellness empire in Aussie and has started to call them out on some of their more outrageous health claims. I think I'm going to join her but it feels like a drop in the ocean.

I do like food and am a bit guilty of liking some of these new food trends, but I'd not even heard of alkalised water.

Im far from practising it, but heard recently about how the bulk of you kcals should come from plants, beans, wholegrains, nuts and seeds, which makes some kind of sense without having to source endless poncy ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom