Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

NUS national protest against the cuts 10.11.10 [London]

i thought it was traditional to have these on a wednesday afternoon to maximise turnout rather than in the morning which rather works against many from eg newcastle attending.

Im cant go to this unfortunately :( a lot of my mates who've never ever been on anything like that before will be going to it though.

Actually there wasn't one for the last 3 years of my 4 year uni course, which I started in 2003. The NUS was run by either Labour Students then or Broad left. Labour Students only wanted to offer token opposition to fees increases for obvious reasons, and Broad left seemed intent on cuting back on union democracy to plug a funding shortfall created by Labour Students bizarrely. This is the first big national student demo properly backed by NUS since that demo in 2003 if my memory serves me correctly.

Actually there wasn't one for the last 3 years of my 4 year uni course, which I started in 2003. The NUS was run by either Labour Students then or Broad left. Labour Students only wanted to offer token opposition to fees increases for obvious reasons, and Broad left seemed intent on cuting back on union democracy to plug a funding shortfall created by Labour Students bizarrely. This is the first big national student demo properly backed by NUS since that demo in 2003 if my memory serves me correctly.

Its also backed by the UCU

i never went to any student themed marches the whole time i was at uni, they never really did ayn good tho adn was sort of dominated by lib dems lol

I'm going! There are over 100 of us traipsing down from Oxford Brookes. The union are even paying for our travel

Yup good luck to all students and university employees involved in the protests. I travelled down to the protests in the late 80s and early 90s when grants were stopped and loans were brought in. As these were peacefuul, disciplined and respctful they did nothing to stop the introduction of loans and the move towards fees - though it did help build the careers of politicos who organised the safe, disciplined demonstrations (people like Baroness Sherlock, Steven twigg - and oh yes, disgraced racist liar Phil Woolas).

Sadly, history suggests the students and university workers are only likely to be successful if they are so disruptive that the costs of their rebellion is likely to be higher than the 'savings' to the teasury of placing more debt on students.

Some students from (I think) Edinburgh, carrying placards stating 'Gonnae no do that' on the front, and 'Just gonnae no' on the back.

The thread title should be the same as the Irish students one and have massive in the title, it is looking like that...

Another, much larger, lot just went by. Some had a giant carrot with them. One had a placard bearing the legend 'We're not Sam Cameron, you can't fuck us.'

'David Cameron admits tuition fees increase will keep cost to foreign students down
The Coalition’s decision to increase tuition fees by thousands of pounds will help keep down the cost to foreign students of studying in Britain, David Cameron has admitted.'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...-will-keep-cost-to-foreign-students-down.html

So UK students are going to subsidise students from rich backgrounds around the world, so 'Uk can be a market leader in education'

Back
Top Bottom