Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Norway. In October. Suggestions...

Throbbing Angel

Well-Known Membrane
Hiya.
Norway, tomorrow, for a week, cruise, fjords, Stavanger, some other places I can't recall.

5 stops on land I think.

Any suggestions. Places. Things to do, eat, drink etc...?

If you like booze buy duty free as you leave the UK, as much as you can, booze is frighteningly expensive in Norway, so pre-loading before going out is essential.

Stavenger is nice especially a cruise up the Fjords, Olden is absolutely gorgeous if you're into nature. If you're on a cruise it is probably the next stop after Stavanger. The cable car gets booked very quickly though so if want that book on the ship and book early.

If you like booze buy duty free as you leave the UK, as much as you can, booze is frighteningly expensive in Norway, so pre-loading before going out is essential.

This.

I was aware that booze was expensive there but didn't pay that much heed, thinking 'how expensive can it be?' and prepared to pay a few quid extra for drinks whilst we were there.

That was before I got charged the equivalent of seventeen quid for a beer in Oslo! :D

Don’t cruise companies scan luggage to check you’re not bringing your own booze on? Or am I making that up.

Bergen I spent a day or so in on a family
holiday as a kid and remember there being lots of interesting stuff relating to the Hanseatic league

I remember hardangerfjord being beautiful when I visited during a very warm summer (1997 I think). Beautiful scenery and I did a chilly swim in the fjord!

Definitely went to Ulvik too. Cant remember much more.

Cheers everyone.
We've just set sail.

Don't really drink so that's not an issue for me.

The itinerary is
Olden on the 5th
Nordfjord
Innvikfjorfd
Hornelen
Haugesund
Ulvik
Hardangerfjord
Stavanger
Then back home on the 10th.
What's the boat like; big, little, how many passengers. Is it very formal or very casual?

That looks like ours, aye.
Only 1500 guests which seems manageable rather than one of those cruises where there's 6000 guests, 2000 staff and a midnight drum and bass jacuzzi fest.

All very easy. It didn't occur to me that when we got to that port that was it. I was at my 'hotel' rather than having to get on a plane for 4 hours then take a taxi to a hotel. Cases turned up in our room. What's not to like? Might just do this again.

Last edited:
How was the boat for vegetarians?
Just been to one of the table service restaurants and there were 3 of 6 starters, one of the two soups, two of the 5 mains that were vegetarian from the a la carte menu, plus more on the 'always available' menus which is self service at lunch.

Had a leek and cucumber terrine with panko and flavoured aioli for starters. Had a big V or Ve next to it. It was gorgeous.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom