Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

northumberland ?

We're off to Northumberland for a week tomorrow :cool:
Staying near Rock, about 3 miles inland from Craster.

It's not our first visit, so we've got a good idea of what we want to while we're there (lighthouses might be involved :hmm:), but always happy to have some recommendations - especially for good, dog-friendly pubs!

We're off to Northumberland for a week tomorrow :cool:
Staying near Rock, about 3 miles inland from Craster.

It's not our first visit, so we've got a good idea of what we want to while we're there (lighthouses might be involved :hmm:), but always happy to have some recommendations - especially for good, dog-friendly pubs!
Puffin Cruises from Amble

Any Amble pub recommendations Chilli.s?
Its full of pubs is Amble, Wellwood Arms for a sunday roast, The Dock for pool and local feel, Harbour Inn for more expensive but pleasant, The Lounge Bar for just drinks, Bar 1902 at the Ambe Club for footie on the big telly. Harbour Fish Bar, great takeaway chippy. Spurellis ice cream shop

Nearer Craster is The Fishing Boat Inn at Boulmer does food, nice view if you get the window tables. Great walk north from there along the coast

Alnwick has loads too, and good charity shops and Barter Books (possibly the best second hand bookshop in the world)

Craster is nice too, the only place Iv had to pay to park though, get kippers. Pub is so so but great views and very busy.

Alnmouth has always disappointed me with its pubs, but not been in all of them

When I visited I didn’t really do any pubs but I enjoyed the ice cream at spurellis and rated the Alnwick charity shops but not Barter books, may have had enough by then. Think I went to the pub at Craster for a pint and agree it was so-so

I really rated the Woodhorn museum which covers the coal mining industry and the lives of miners, depending on your route you may well drive right past it on your way there or back. dogs are ok in the grounds (a lot is outside and there’s also a country park adjacent which is good for a walk)

These were all recommendations from on here some from Chilli.s i think :)

I can spend hours and many £££ in Barter Books.
Definitely the best secondhand bookshop in the North East.

Woodhorn's very good, there's a nice maritime museum at Newbiggin, boats out to the Farnes from Seahouses [although as it is peak nesting season I wouldn't land with a dog, also bird flu]

As for dog-friendly watering holes / eateries ... lots about [I must start keeping a list / reviews]

[edit was to correct some bad typing / spelling]

Last edited:

Back to work today after a wonderful week in Northumberland, we even had sunshine and blue skies for the second half of the week.

Highlights for me were - a walk along the coat from Low Newton to Embleton, then back to Low Newton for lunch at The Ship Inn and Billy Sheils boat trip around the Farne Islands.
The Brewis taproom in Amble is worth a visit.

Photo from the Low Newton/Embleton walk
20240619_121350.jpg

Back
Top Bottom