Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

northumberland ?

Never that impressed with happy cow as they often list places with a single vegetarian or vegan option.
I find it really helpful. And I'd rather know about somewhere with one thing I can eat than end up with some crisps from the corner shop for dinner. 🤷‍♀️

I find it really helpful. And I'd rather know about somewhere with one thing I can eat than end up with some crisps from the corner shop for dinner. 🤷‍♀️
Yes, I agree, but I wouldn't normally consider anywhere without at least 2'veggie options. I'm very happy to search, online, every place in the area to keep Mrs tag fed n happy.

An excellent beach is Coldingham - 5 mile N of Berwick and in Scotlandshire - it's not the archetypal Northumbrian beach of miles of endless sand, but a small, sheltered, very gently shelving cove. It has free parking, a beach cafe, toilets and is next to St Abbs head, site of yet another of the 7th century monasteries that made Northumbria the powerhouse of learning and artistic craft in Britain.
Someone I know went there and enjoyed it. I’m probably taking a day trip to the Scottish museum of flight near Haddington so maybe I’ll pop in on my way back

Had a good reread of this thread :)

I’ve got a rough idea of what to do on each day of my holiday now though I’ll expect to juggle things around to fit the tides

Are there any particular beaches I should try to get to for a walk. I see Alnmouth to Warkworth was recommended earlier on
I was going to suggest Alnmouth, but also take a look at Druridge Bay.

Druridge Bay.
Thats an interesting place. I remember 30 or so years ago when there was still some coal mining going on and it wasnt that great, the countryside backing it had a rumble of opencast mining and the old pit villages werent bulldozed. Now a load of landscaping has transformed it and places that were just industrial wasteland are wild countryside and agricultural land.

To avoid using the car, this looks interesting.

To avoid using the car, this looks interesting.

It's well worth doing. Absolutely stunning, and it's wonderful being able to pay attention to the scenery, rather than the road.

Solid recommendation from me.

This is handy. Holy island crossing times, events etc. Illuminated sheep art installation to celebrate the Lindisfarne gospels.

Well I’ve enjoyed a week here.

Feel a bit castled out though. One of my highlights was the Woodhorn museum at Ashington, as recommended upthread by Smokeandsteam

Up here is a long way away from me, so it may be a while before my next visit, it would be good to visit the interior next time though, don’t think I really ventured west of the A1

Well I’ve enjoyed a week here.

Feel a bit castled out though. One of my highlights was the Woodhorn museum at Ashington, as recommended upthread by Smokeandsteam

Up here is a long way away from me, so it may be a while before my next visit, it would be good to visit the interior next time though, don’t think I really ventured west of the A1
That infers you didn't make it to Cragside 😔

Berwick on Tweed is a great place to visit for a day. Although very affordable, I'd not want to live there.

Can I ask why?

I love Berwick, but Mrs K doesn't - I'm interested to know why others share her view?

Am I missing something, or do I see something others don't?

Can I ask why?

I love Berwick, but Mrs K doesn't - I'm interested to know why others share her view?

Am I missing something, or do I see something others don't?

There was a lot to see and do there which caught the eye and were interesting. Some great bridges, battlements, views, beaches etc.
We saw some very nice and very affordable places to buy in agents windows but it felt a little depressed, run down and lacking in restaurants, pubs, culture and the like, but I'll be the first to admit I am spoilt for choice at home. I don't know what the health service is like there, it's quite hilly and I imagine it could get very cold and bleak. Transport links wouldn't be great and they haven't fallen out of love with the car yet...no pedestrian areas and free car parking in the centre, both long and short stay. Is the council looking after the town very well?

Ps. Mrs Tag said she likes the place but doesn't know if she would like to live there. Given her recent pronucements I would take that to mean no. Besides, I think she would have to travel a long way for work.

If anyone is anywhere near Morpeth this is definitely worth a visit cracking atmosphere, brilliant staff, a happy hour and the foods not bad. As good a place as anywhere I have been.
Home - Lollo Rosso

Thinking back, I was continually reminded of "When The Boat Comes In", the place names, the accents...I might have to sit down and watch it again.

Back
Top Bottom