Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

northumberland ?

Are you looking for any specific recommendations?

If you’re staying in Sunderland then the area around Seaburn and Roker is good for beaches and food. If you’re going into Newcastle then it’ll probably be easier on the Metro. Also if you get an all zone day tickets that’s also valid on the Shields ferry, if you fancy the scenic route :D

I've not been to Beamish for years, but that’ll probably take a full day to do properly.

You can’t really go wrong in that part of Northumberland. Pick a village on the coast and it’ll probably be nice :thumbs:
Thanks that’s very helpful particularly for the tips around Sunderland / Newcastle for my pre Northumbria part of the holiday.

My plan in Northumbria is to get in some walking along the coast, visit the castles, and the mining museum mentioned above sounds fantastic.

I think there have been so many great suggestions already that I have plenty of options :)

My turn for Northumberland. Thinking of heading up mid October for a few nights and am considering staying in Blyth or Beal. Top of my list is Cragside. Lindisfarne and Bamburgh up there with the NE coast and maybe Berwick. I would love to nip across to Coldstream for an hour or two........

My turn for Northumberland. Thinking of heading up mid October for a few nights and am considering staying in Blyth or Beal. Top of my list is Cragside. Lindisfarne and Bamburgh up there with the NE coast and maybe Berwick. I would love to nip across to Coldstream for an hour or two........
Id miss Blyth altogether, anywhere north of there is ok though

I had a lovely couple of days in Alnwick and Alnmouth last August. But everywhere in Alnmouth stops serving food at 8.30/9. There was a parade of us trying to find somewhere that would serve food at 8.55. The place I was staying said no until one of them realised I was a guest there. Best butter chicken ever. Possibly because I was starving.

I wasn't massively impressed by Alnwick Gardens.

Same chain; the Amble Inn.
Does the harbour fish bar do anything vegetarian? A beach is not a deal breaker but looking forward to some coastal walks.

Same chain; the Amble Inn.
Does the harbour fish bar do anything vegetarian? A beach is not a deal breaker but looking forward to some coastal walks.
Amble inn I have been past but never visited, it is out of the town center. Dont know about vegetarian options and harbour fish bar unlikely to cater . Must warn you that Amble is a town that was once a highly industrialised area (not anymore) and is only recently taking on a more modern feel. If you like ice cream Spirellis is worth a visit. Cragside you know about and I really like. Also inland and a good walk is Simonside, no facilities, good walk though. The coast from Amble harbour south along the beach is an interesting walk too, a bit tide dependant but worth it.
I know you like driving and the roads there I find great as they are so quiet compared to the south and you can park anywhere for nothing, like back to the 70s.
Hope you have a wonderful time

We like a bit of industry/engineering especially Victorian stuff. Also like places with an edgelands feel. It is because of the "driving" that I've a mind to visit coldstream.

Oh sorry, its not for a while yet. We are off down South to sunny Poole next week. It will be a few weeks before heading up there.
I have been trying to make a list of places to stay but my heads in a mess at the moment and will book when I am recovered from my nights.

Had a good reread of this thread :)

I’ve got a rough idea of what to do on each day of my holiday now though I’ll expect to juggle things around to fit the tides

Are there any particular beaches I should try to get to for a walk. I see Alnmouth to Warkworth was recommended earlier on

We've just booked for January next year. Cottage by the beach: cold, dark, wet/snow. Cannot wait.
Mrs tag won't do self catering. She hates the idea that she or even I might have to cook while we are on holiday. She loves the treat of a hotel breakfast.

We had excellent Northumberland sausages from the Butcher in Wooler - a bit like Cumberland sausage, but a bit different.

Personally I'd just go for local produce rather than local food - fantastic seafood, great lamb from Cheviot...

Back
Top Bottom