Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Northern Ireland Sectarianism Questions

[62]

This week the score draws are plentiful
Hope this is the right bit of the forum.

Having a very nice holiday in NI right now thank you very much. Never been here before and a couple of things have sort of startled and intrigued us, which I'm hoping Urban can help with.

I obviously expected to see some evidence of sectarianism (a mate had pre-warned me of the UVF mural next to Sydenham station where you catch the train from the airport into town). What's surprised me is the all-pervasive Union Jacks and Ulster flags hanging from lampposts in so many towns, including the one we're staying in (Carrickfergus).

Is this more than usual because of the Northern Irish centenary (also celebrated on a lot of the flags) or is it always like this?

Who puts them up? Is it the council or the local Orange Order with the blessing of the council or something else?

Just seen in Coleraine and elsewhere another more explicitly political poster accusing the NI police force of being in the pocket of Sinn Féin and victimising loyalists for the last 20 years. Again, are these officially sanctioned in some way?

I realise it's a fairly emotive subject, but any insight appreciated.

Never been to NI but I've always wanted to visit. My parents dragged us all over the rest of the UK on holidays as kids, but for understandable reasons NI wasn't on the agenda at the time. :(

They are put up by locals, not officially sanctioned in any way. I am from not a million miles from Coleraine, can't say i miss it! if you are eating out in the area the Ramore wine bar in Portrush used to be the place to go.

They are put up by locals, not officially sanctioned in any way. I am from not a million miles from Coleraine, can't say i miss it! if you are eating out in the area the Ramore wine bar in Portrush used to be the place to go.

Cheers. That's even weirder. The ones in people's gardens, painted kerbs etc. I sort of expected, but if anyone started decking out the length of my road and putting up unofficial political banners in the main shopping area where I live the council would be tearing them down the next day.

That aside, we're having a great time. Had a Mauds ice cream in Portrush yesterday, walked around the Causeway coast, did a day trip on the Enterprise to Dublin on Wednesday (interesting compare and contrast NI to the Republic, especially as I haven't been to Dublin for 20 years, but seven fucking euros for a toastie! :eek:). Really enjoyed the Linen Hall Library in Belfast, where there's a good exhibition of political posters, and the Titanic museum is one of the best I've visited.

Weather has beaten my already low expectations, though. It's like fast-forwarding to October.

Back
Top Bottom