Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Newbury/Thatcham - shit/not shit?

Artaxerxes

Look out, he's got a gnu!
Am looking to leave my one room paradise (amazing how motivational living in one room for a year is at making you want to move) and Newbury seems to be just about affordable to me while still being reasonably in range of London.

How crap is it?

only ever visited for the day a couple of times, but it's all a bit old money / twee / tory with a few council estates that they would rather not think about

thatcham is neither quite one thing or another - smallish town / large village that's had a lot of commuterland housing built, north side is quite a trek to the railway station

bus services in both finish early evening and on Sundays it's just the Reading - Thatcham - Newbury route daytimes, and traffic tends to be bloody awful.

if you're still going to need to get to london for work, national rail enquiries website has got a season ticket price calculator thing, and it may cost more than you'd think.

and bear in mind there will be days in winter when there's snow and all the trains stop, and weekends when there's engineering work on the line.

not sure i could face living in either, to be honest, and thought newbury was pretty damn expensive.

depends really what you want out of it all. different places suit different people.

i'm the wokingham side of reading which is meh, but a bit closer to london...

I like the centre of Newbury more than Reading - nice market, butchers etc plenty of green space and the canal too.

Don’t know the outer estates really but I doubt there’s much going on.

Trains can get you into Paddington in approx 45 minutes but inevitably at least one tube is needed to get anywhere else as Paddington is not well situated. If commuting in morning the season ticket will be over £600 pcm and previous to covid little chance of a seat if getting into Paddington for 8:30am

Thatcham will probably not have many fast trains to London and is one large housing development. I have worked with a few people from there are they were all very nice. The Kennet school is quite well regarded I think.

I’ve also found that Thatcham is also a good place to encounter the now seldom heard “Berkshire burr” accent which is being eroded by Estuary English / MLE. Not a reason to live there though.

Totally agree with Puddy_Tat about the twee old Tory side of Newbury. Lots of barber jackets and ruddy faces about. The surrounding towns and villages are very rural.

Cheers guys, Thatcham sounds a lot like where I am currently so I'm a bit waves hand

Place I had my eye on is also ludicrously in need of modernisation so it might not be ideal for us.

Back
Top Bottom