Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

new stuff in streatham

hektik

adhering to a paradigm
I haven't been down to streatham station in a while, having changed my route into work to streatham hill, and coming home from work has been a bit of a lottery for the past month or so because of late nights/snow. but things are afoot: there is a new morrisons opening right next door to the train station (which has been an empty shop since I have been here) - does anyone know if it is already open/when it is opening?

Also walked past this: http://www.hideawaylive.co.uk/ which looks like it could be pretty cool. Has anyone been?

there is a new morrisons opening right next door to the train station (which has been an empty shop since I have been here) - does anyone know if it is already open/when it is opening?

Is the Morrisons going to open on the site of the former Safeways?

Edited to add: Ah yes it is

Doing a bit of googling I see http://www.highson.net/2009/09/safeway-streatham-re-opens.html - there is also a twitter post that i found saying it will open on 25 Jan but cant find details on the actual Morrisons website.

Morrisons is a welcome addition can pop in from the station to pick up bits and pieces....they opened it up due to the Tescos delay...god knows why they didn't do it anyway.

not exactly an addition... it was a Morrisons for a while after they bought out Safeways. then it got closed and soon after became a psy-trance rave venue, which was nice.

Morrisons is a welcome addition can pop in from the station to pick up bits and pieces....they opened it up due to the Tescos delay...god knows why they didn't do it anyway.

yep, that's exactly what I thought as well. It looked like a prime location for a supermarket, for convenience if nothing else.

Yeah, handy for me to - I've often wondered why the old safeways has been shiut up for so many years when its in a prime spot. Even if they do go ahead with it (and afaik they only have initial planning permission) it will be a few years before Tescos opens.

not exactly an addition... it was a Morrisons for a while after they bought out Safeways. then it got closed and soon after became a psy-trance rave venue, which was nice.

lol - i missed out! seems opposite to how I know the area!

it does have a car park...or at least a sign that says "car park, next left" on the sign outside.

It is also definitely opening on 25th January, at 9pm. Can you tell that i did a bit more investigating on my way home tonight?

NB: I am dispondent about what my life has turned out like -time was i spent my friday getting dribbling adn unresponsive. i now spend it standing at the windows of a newly-opening supermarket. how the mighty have fallen.

Thats what I thought as well - I think Morrisons got rid of a lot of shops like this one and the one in Camberwell as well because they thought they were too small, they have now had a change of heart and so are now going for smaller town centre sites probably helped by the fall in the cost of the land in the intervening few years

Yeah, handy for me to - I've often wondered why the old safeways has been shiut up for so many years when its in a prime spot. Even if they do go ahead with it (and afaik they only have initial planning permission) it will be a few years before Tescos opens.

If it ever does open. This Streatham Hub development is suppose to be a Tesco, new housing, new ice rink (to replace the current one) & new leisure centre.

AFAIK, aren't Tesco trying to wriggle their way out of paying for some of the works due on this project.

Basically, Tesco & Lambeth Council are blaming each other for the lack of progress....nothing has moved forward for years.

I hear Foxtons is opening up in September on the old Jack Stamps site on the High Road. :eek:

Deary me, whatever next? Starbucks? :D

Eh?!? Lord it's the beginning of the end. I thought Foxton's were financially buggered? Mind you even they would be an improvement on Jack Stamps

I remember a club there called The Studio. Back in the late 80s. We'd pop in for a pint in the Tudor Tavern and then to the club. It was well rubbish :)

Eh?!? Lord it's the beginning of the end. I thought Foxton's were financially buggered? Mind you even they would be an improvement on Jack Stamps

:D

I thought they were financially buggered too, obviously they see potential in our little cherished corner of Lambeth. ;)

P.S. I agree re: improvement on Jack Stamps.

foxtons in streatham? blimey! :eek:

To be fair, they already had properties in streatham, which were dealt with from their balham branch, i think. We certainly had a foxtons rep show us around when we were looking to buy in streatham...although all of their sales patter was how close and convenient streatham was for brixton/clapham/blahm/dulwich.

Shame it should have been "Streatham has none of those middle class media twunts you'll find in balham, clapham and dulwich...it is also severely lacking in annoying Saffers and Aussies."

Can confirm that Jack Stamps is indeed going to be yet another estate agents. I asked the builders when I was passing today.

That new Foxton's really is a shoddily bad piece of shop-fitting masquerading as "modern architecture"

It certainly looks out of place on Streatham High Road. :D

Edited to add: I hear Cafe Nero is opening up in the old Clarkes site which IIRC is next door to Sainsburys Local.

Edited to add: I hear Cafe Nero is opening up in the old Clarkes site which IIRC is next door to Sainsburys Local.

yep, had read somethign about that on the streatham pulse website a couple of days ago. Have also been into that new polish deli, krantzens (sp?) which is next door to kwik fit..the loaf of bread I got was pretty tasty, and they've got a few interesting bits in there. would definately recommend having a little look around.

yep, had read somethign about that on the streatham pulse website a couple of days ago. Have also been into that new polish deli, krantzens (sp?) which is next door to kwik fit..the loaf of bread I got was pretty tasty, and they've got a few interesting bits in there. would definately recommend having a little look around.

Yeah that Streatham Pulse website is always a good read. Oh and I agree re: Krantzens, I did briefly pop in a few weeks back, didn't buy anything but will go back soon to get some stuff.

Is this thread about drugs? It must be some kind of coded message... :hmm: What is this "stuff" of which you speak?

BTW The newest of the spate of Streatham Polish delis Kredens is very good - great bread to take away and I enjoyed cheesecake and some damn fine coffee inside.

Is this thread about drugs? It must be some kind of coded message... :hmm: What is this "stuff" of which you speak?

new 'anything'. we are so bereft of any diversions in streatham that a new shop opening, a man falling over, or a load of new items on the cat-welfare bric-a-brac stall on a saturday is cause for celebration. and mention on this thread.

That new Foxton's really is a shoddily bad piece of shop-fitting masquerading as "modern architecture"

Went past the Foxton's today. Jesus, it's so poncey. They even have a bar in the front with a coffee machine and a fridge selling bottles of something (the only one I recognised was coke)

I went looking for Clarkes last week and was most perturbed to discover a coffee shop there. I had to have a wander to make sure I wasn't imagining Clarkes used to be there. Was most pissed off.

I also noticed a few new chicken shops. As if there's not enough up there already. Oh, and MacDonald's is now Kenfucky

The new Deli with no name, the one opposite Streatham Hill Station seems to be doing a roaring trade.

I've been in there a few times myself and they have a nice selection of the usual Deli type fare. Prices are good too.

Back
Top Bottom