Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New(ish) Shoegaze(ish)

chilango

Hypothetical Wanker
Been enjoying "The Great Dismal" by Nothing for a while. It's one of my most streamed albums these days.

Idle surfing via them led me to a whole bunch of bands who I'm keen to dig into: Deafhaven, Blue Smiley, Wednesday etc.

Anybody got any recommendations?

Slowdive have a new one out next month.

And Parannoul has been pretty good so far, even if no one knows who he or she is, other than they're from Korea:

Seen Black Doldrums a few times over the past few years and they've blown me away.

This is awesome.

Also reminds me a little of Cranes. But more Slowdivey
It made me think they'd just melted down Kevin Shields and mass reproduced him. As far as I know they only released one studio album, and one collection of other stuff, and haven't been seen again for nearly ten years.

In terms of really recent, Flyying Colours aren't bad, and had a new one out this year.

Excellent thread Chilango!

Here are 3 from me:

Deserta: American dream pop/shoe gazers

Wozniak: Fuzzy Scottish noise

Also, BDRMM from Hull, as mentioned, are absolutely brilliant;

Gave 'The Great Dismal' a go, but it didn't do much for me.

Just stuck that Vanera 4 album on, and liking it so far, one tune in. ;)

Really been enjoying this album. It's all simple melodies and a pretty limited palette of sounds but the gets so much richness from them.

Also I'm pretty sure she's managed to use the 'cocteaus guitar' sampler patch from Reason and make it not sound shit, which is something I've often tried to do and failed.

Must admit I'm not a fan of the term 'shoegaze' it conjures up visions of teenage angst, but it appears an awful lot of stuff I really like comes under that label. :D

Probably my favourite album of 2019 which still sounds brilliant:

Probably my favourite tune of last year:

Loving Black Paws btw! :)

Back in the 90’s Slowdive were one of the music press's most reviled bands and their work was constantly (and ridiculously) attacked. I can’t think of a band who’ve come back, and come back so triumphantly, in such a way. It’s not just their old fans either, they’ve got a relevance now and an audience that is getting younger. Fair play to them. They are brilliant and always have been.

Last edited:
I'm digging Taleen Kali's album of something called Riotgaze

Which has a fun video on YT featuring Neil out of the Young Ones on guitar :cool:

Back
Top Bottom