Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New driver car suggestions?

sim667

All aboard the 303 bus.
I’m starting to look around for a car for my fiance, after struggling to learn to drive she’s decided to learn automatic and finds it much much easier.

She did have a Ford focus we bought for £150, miraculously passed two MOT’s and we sold for £395……. But I’ve told her she’s not going to find a car that cheap again.

So we’re looking for suggestions of a small hatchback, which is automatic and will be low insurance for a first time driver.

Any suggestions?

The small and cheap market isn't flush with autoboxes except for ex-motability cars. That's something I'd look into. I know our car, 13 year old Nissan Note, was a very popular buy for its mini-MPV shape thtat was taller and easy to get in/out of so there's tons out there with automatic. Never had a problem with it.

I’m trying to sell my car and would have just given it to her but it’s massive and manual 😭

Hadn’t thought about motability cars.

The Yaris was top of our list at the moment

Mrs Q has a Yaris automatic hybrid and it is a fantastic car, It's a 70 plate and the comphrensive insurance on it for her a 61 year old school teacher and our 21 year old student daughter (passed her test May 2022) is a tad under £950
It does 65+ mpg as well, that said it wasn't cheap to buy but there are loads of older Yaris out there. Based on personal experience I would also recommend Micra's and Polo's and I suspect automatic Fiesta's are probably fairly common as well.

The small and cheap market isn't flush with autoboxes except for ex-motability cars. That's something I'd look into. I know our car, 13 year old Nissan Note, was a very popular buy for its mini-MPV shape thtat was taller and easy to get in/out of so there's tons out there with automatic. Never had a problem with it.

I had a Note (Manual), yes, they are nice cars.

Why are ex-motability cars cheap?
It's a good question. Some will have had modifications made that aren't of use to an able driver, but really most are pretty stock. They also tend to be too low mileage. A car needs a certain amount of use to stay in top condition, including the odd long run on the motorway. So they have a reputation (undeserved) based on that for being flaky. But if you do some research you'll find it's recommended as one of the best ways to get a discount on the used car you want. In this case, the main benefit is that the vast majority are automatics.

Automatic Focus? Can be nice to have a slightly larger car for longer journeys.

It's a good question. Some will have had modifications made that aren't of use to an able driver, but really most are pretty stock. They also tend to be too low mileage. A car needs a certain amount of use to stay in top condition, including the odd long run on the motorway. So they have a reputation (undeserved) based on that for being flaky. But if you do some research you'll find it's recommended as one of the best ways to get a discount on the used car you want. In this case, the main benefit is that the vast majority are automatics.

Thanks. Do you know if a small van or MPV with ramps and missing seats for powerchair access would be cheaper or more expensive than a stock model? Generally speaking.

Thanks. Do you know if a small van or MPV with ramps and missing seats for powerchair access would be cheaper or more expensive than a stock model? Generally speaking.
Proper motorised ramp is going to cost you extra for sure. It's the things like knobs on the steering wheel and extra large mirrors and such that detract from the value. Wheelchair lifts are expensive and rare enough that there's a demand for it. You do tend to get very low mileage for the extra, at least.

Eg: Less than 30k miles on a 15 year old vehicle - 2008 Renault Kangoo AUTHENTIQUE 16V petrol auto WAV

Is Ulez an issue now or will it be so in the future. I have a colleague with an old Micra which is automatic. Cheap as cheap to buy and run. Or a honda Jazz.

Is Ulez an issue now or will it be so in the future. I have a colleague with an old Micra which is automatic. Cheap as cheap to buy and run. Or a honda Jazz.
It is at the "cheap" end of the market, but the solution is just to buy petrol and not diesel. A petrol powered car has to be 20+ years old to not be ULEZ compliant.

It is at the "cheap" end of the market, but the solution is just to buy petrol and not diesel. A petrol powered car has to be 20+ years old to not be ULEZ compliant.
I asked as ulez might or might not be an issue

Reactions: Chz
Back
Top Bottom