Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New claim for UC

cozmikbrew

Bass case
Right, I've been a carer for my mum for 7 years, I buried her in June, so now I've had to make a claim for UC, the Citizens Advice bureau helped me make the initial claim, with a 3 way phone call, before caring for my mum I was on ESA, but the work related activity group, so every 3 months or so I had to go in but my, what are they called?? The person who I spoke to was sound, understood my depression and anxiety issues and my Sciatica symptoms, anyway I went in one day and my usual person wasn't there, I always went in with a friend due to feeling really anxious in those kind of situations, just as more background, so this guy walks over, says "How can you care for anyone if you're depressed??" and said no you can't no longer claim ESA as if you're a full time carer for your mum you can't fulfil the contract, being in the work related activity group and that I'd have to claim Income Support, he then said in a really sneering way " Oh don't worry, you won't have to see us again unless ya mum dies "!! He was a right peice of shit, so I had to claim Income Support via phone, I got £42 a week, on top of £65 carers allowance, how I've managed for the last 7 years is a mystery, anyway, I've now had to claim UC, I was under the impression that it was all done online now but I've had to go in and show them a Tenency Agreement, Council tax bill and proof of address. I've got a sick note but I've got that feeling of persecution again, my head was fucked before putting my needs, both mental and physical, emotional, basically I put my life on hold to care for my mum, increasingly more intense as Alzhiemers and lack of mobility took their toll, I feel scooped out, mentally frazzled, jump when the phone rings due to my mum having a series of falls which I had to attend to immediately via a falls alarm system, think I'm suffering from a form of ptsd due to a thousand horrible situations I had to deal with, and on top of that, I have recently had a sort of break through concerning situations in my childhood that I have only just recognised as trauma and that have been the cause of my addiction issues, I'm just scared, they really chucked everything at me before, one wanker even saying my sick notes were forgeries, sorry I'm rambling, fuck it @x

:mad:

have you got someone who can go to appointment with you?

i don't know enough about the current benefits system to say so with any certainty or authority, but wonder if you should be claiming ESA again rather than UC?

and i'd be aware of the dwp complaints procedure in case. probably too late to do anything about this twat if it was a few years ago.

don't let the bastards grind you down.

Right, I've been a carer for my mum for 7 years, I buried her in June, so now I've had to make a claim for UC, the Citizens Advice bureau helped me make the initial claim, with a 3 way phone call, before caring for my mum I was on ESA, but the work related activity group, so every 3 months or so I had to go in but my, what are they called?? The person who I spoke to was sound, understood my depression and anxiety issues and my Sciatica symptoms, anyway I went in one day and my usual person wasn't there, I always went in with a friend due to feeling really anxious in those kind of situations, just as more background, so this guy walks over, says "How can you care for anyone if you're depressed??" and said no you can't no longer claim ESA as if you're a full time carer for your mum you can't fulfil the contract, being in the work related activity group and that I'd have to claim Income Support, he then said in a really sneering way " Oh don't worry, you won't have to see us again unless ya mum dies "!! He was a right peice of shit, so I had to claim Income Support via phone, I got £42 a week, on top of £65 carers allowance, how I've managed for the last 7 years is a mystery, anyway, I've now had to claim UC, I was under the impression that it was all done online now but I've had to go in and show them a Tenency Agreement, Council tax bill and proof of address. I've got a sick note but I've got that feeling of persecution again, my head was fucked before putting my needs, both mental and physical, emotional, basically I put my life on hold to care for my mum, increasingly more intense as Alzhiemers and lack of mobility took their toll, I feel scooped out, mentally frazzled, jump when the phone rings due to my mum having a series of falls which I had to attend to immediately via a falls alarm system, think I'm suffering from a form of ptsd due to a thousand horrible situations I had to deal with, and on top of that, I have recently had a sort of break through concerning situations in my childhood that I have only just recognised as trauma and that have been the cause of my addiction issues, I'm just scared, they really chucked everything at me before, one wanker even saying my sick notes were forgeries, sorry I'm rambling, fuck it @x
Sorry for your troubles. Losing a mother is never easy and it sounds like you have really been through it and I'm not surprised you are scared, having to deal with shitty officials as well as grief. Hope you are getting help with your health. trauma and anxiety.

Are CA still helping you? or are there any other groups, organisations or friends who can help you with your benefits now. Take any help you can find The DWP . Always take someone with you to assessments and appointments if you can.

Not sure I have anything useful to say beyond what Puddy_Tat has already said.

Wishing you strength to cope with it all.

Did someone from CAB check which benefit you should be applying for? Unfortunately DWP have some utte cnuts working for them as well as some nice people. Does your local council have a Welfare right s office? Might be worth checking because they can be great for getting things sorted for you.
I really hope you get a decent person this time.

Not been paid because UC said I've been paid £300 Carers Allowance but I've not been paid Carers allowance since May when my mum passed, I've rang Carers Allowance and they said yes, we can see you've not had any further payments since May, took me 20 minutes to varify that but it seems UC have to investigate it for nearly two weeks @x

Fucking unbelievable. Sorry this is happening mate. Must be through the roof kind of stressful.

I just made a claim due to my DBS taking 7 weeks so far. Anyway, they ask if you'd take minimum wage, yes or no? The next question is, would you travel for 90 minutes, yes or no? If I travel for 90 minutes in my car that's £30 per day before tax or insurance or the upkeep of the car. Minimum wage, 36 hours a week would take me just into the lower tax bracket meaning I'd come out with around £1200. £600 a month for fuel leaves me £600 to play with. Well, not play with, sit under a bridge with. I asked the job coach cunt about this and he said that of course I didn't have to say yes. When I said, in that case why not ask me a question about my preferred wage and distance rather than giving me an answer he pretended that he didn't understand what I meant, the cunt.

He's correct. They have changed. They'll now sanction you for saying yes or no

He said "you haven't been on UC before, right?" Like, they were all lovely now. Then he told me that the checks and balances weren't for people like me who have a job offer, they're for people who pretend they want to work when they don't. By that time I felt completely drained so I didn't scream in his face. Plus the security guard had wandered over and I'd already asked him what he thought he was doing, which is a red flag for me to get that I need to chill.

He said "you haven't been on UC before, right?" Like, they were all lovely now. Then he told me that the checks and balances weren't for people like me who have a job offer, they're for people who pretend they want to work when they don't. By that time I felt completely drained so I didn't scream in his face. Plus the security guard had wandered over and I'd already asked him what he thought he was doing, which is a red flag for me to get that I need to chill.
So I forgot my job coach appointment. I was coming off Sertraline and it knocked me at times. That time, of course. Add to that a meeting with my daughter in the town centre who was having a meltdown due to money and her having a brain injury that broke the brakes off her anxiety and I scurried home after our meeting. Got home, 5 miles away from the interview and realised my mistake immediately. Cracked open my journal, told them and half an hour later my claim had been cancelled.

The reason given for cancelling my claim was that I hadn't kept my appointment within the allotted time. What was the allotted time that I hadn't stuck to? I made an FOI request which did not answer my question because I had not seen my job coach and the answer was "you'll be told your rights and responsibilities by your job coach."

I rang the helpline. It is funny that they call it that. It is. The woman I spoke to, well, I'm sorry to say that she shook my faith in Scousers. I asked her how I speak to anyone if the only way to speak to them is via my journal which is now closed? She told me to go back to my journal, scroll to the bottom and press the green button to enter an appeal and that would restart my claim. I mean, she was kind of right but not really. I clicked on the green button and it started a new claim. Wiping my journal clear of all previous information.

I have an appeal which needs information from my doctor but that would cost money and I don't have any. It's up tomorrow. I'm pretty sanguine about the whole thing but when they reject it I'm taking it further. If there is such a place?

see my post above, CAB, Welfare Rights or a local advocacy, surely there must be one of those 3 available to you?

see my post above, CAB, Welfare Rights or a local advocacy, surely there must be one of those 3 available to you?

Thanks for your response. I awaited my decision date with baited breath and, if I'm honest, a fairly cynical view of the proceedings. It would not go my way, was my belief. Why sanction me to save money and then give me it back? No, definitely not. Anyway, it never happened, which even my cynical view didn't take account of. Still hasn't. However, I have spoken to them and I got someone who asked me the question "how do you know what your commitments are when it's the job coach (still makes me laugh, that job title) who gives you them and you hadn't seen them by the time they sanctioned you for not abiding by them? Fortunately that was my whole deal and so we wrote a pleading letter to m'luds asking them if, in fact, I could have some more? Well, some. They have 3 days to respond. Today is the third day. I'm not holding my breath.

Also, they kept asking me questions and I kept replying honestly. Like, where do you live? In a van. So you're homeless then? I mean, not really but is there a box for that? Would you speak to the housing options team in your area? What for? Do you honestly think they've got a house for me and even if they did, how do I afford to rent it because housing benefit won't cover it and how would I heat it? I also said a few other suggestions were pointless and gave them good reasons why. Anyway, half an hour later they gave me a call to ask if I was going to harm myself. Pen poised over a box, I imagine. I replied that no, I was not going to harm myself.

In other news, the job I was waiting for the DBS to come through finally made a decision after a 7 month wait. It was a no.

Last edited:
It was a yes! As in, yes your claim from the 4th October is back on and yes we will give you some money. Probably in the new year but still, I'll chalk it up in the win column.

I also spoke to the Housing Options team yesterday and they sent me a huge thing about where I've been living and a declaration that I won't lie to them about anything. I'm worried that they will check out the addresses to see if I've been paying council tax. I have been officially homeless for around 5 years but lived in various places during that time. I don't want to make any trouble for the people who have been so kind to me. Does anyone know what their process involves?

Up here I know you're allowed to have someone stay for a couple/few weeks without having to tell them but not sure if it's the same down south, glad you will get some money in the new year but what are you managing on til then?

Reactions: bmd
glad you will get some money in the new year but what are you managing on til then?

I'm a northerner! In the north, being northern.

The response to this question

Hi there, as my sanction has been overturned my claim has been reinstated. I didn't receive my initial UC payment before my claim dated 4/10/22 was sanctioned. Can you please tell me when I can expect to receive the money owed to me?

Is this

The technical team are working on aligning your claims. As soon as this is done we can work out any underpayment you may be due. You will be advised via the journal as soon as we have an update for you.

Not sure what to say about that other than

Thanks for your response but that doesn't help. How long does it take to align a claim? A week? Two? A month? Ballpark is fine.

Bah, humbug.

bmd - that's a 5h1t place to be in, my sympathy.

Do "they" still do hardship loans / grants for this type of situation ?

bmd - that's a 5h1t place to be in, my sympathy.

Do "they" still do hardship loans / grants for this type of situation ?

Thanks! It's mad how much these comments help. Seriously. I don't want to borrow money off them. I want them to give me my money. If I borrow money off a future payment then the future is also fucked. Also, at the risk of sounding like a massive bellend, I try to stick to my principles, which are to never borrow money. I believe that principles are easy when life is easy and keep shit tight when it's not.

Anyway, here's their response. I like how they always sign off with 'kind regards'. It's like "fuck off, peasant" but in code.

I'm afraid I cannot give you a timescale for this, but you will be advised via the journal as soon as we have an update for you.

Kind regards,

My response

My claim was stopped due to an error on the part of the UC system. Some over-zealous person decided that I shouldn't have any money from October and I still don't have any. Now you're telling me that the system has no idea when I'll get the money I am owed. Does that seem fair to you, UC person? It definitely does not seem fair to me. I would still feel like that even if it wasn't happening to me.

They always respond, apparently, so I'm going to reply to their reply every day and see if they actually do.

Last edited:
It was a yes! As in, yes your claim from the 4th October is back on and yes we will give you some money. Probably in the new year but still, I'll chalk it up in the win column.

I also spoke to the Housing Options team yesterday and they sent me a huge thing about where I've been living and a declaration that I won't lie to them about anything. I'm worried that they will check out the addresses to see if I've been paying council tax. I have been officially homeless for around 5 years but lived in various places during that time. I don't want to make any trouble for the people who have been so kind to me. Does anyone know what their process involves?
I don't get involved in homelessness applications, but council tax is applied to the flat/house whatever , so you staying somewhere for a few weeks, etc doesn't mean you have to be registered to pay it. What's probably happening is they need to establish that you've lived in the area for 5 of the last 7 years , if you haven't, or can't prove you have, then you don't qualify to be rehoused by the local authority. If you have been the council tax payer , that would count as proof , but other stuff will also count as proof (I work in Housing for a Local Authority)

I don't get involved in homelessness applications, but council tax is applied to the flat/house whatever , so you staying somewhere for a few weeks, etc doesn't mean you have to be registered to pay it. What's probably happening is they need to establish that you've lived in the area for 5 of the last 7 years , if you haven't, or can't prove you have, then you don't qualify to be rehoused by the local authority. If you have been the council tax payer , that would count as proof , but other stuff will also count as proof (I work in Housing for a Local Authority)

Exactly this. I am now being taken on for 56 days to see if they can find me a landlord. Not interested in a HMO and they were quite clear about being happy to stop helping me the moment I don't want what they were offering but I think I'll also be in a band that gives me an outside chance of social housing. It will be in the arse end of nowhere out in the sticks, but still, housing for less than the cost of 4 days work a week is an amazing thought.

Kind regards x

Here's today's journal update

We do have to wait for the technical team to complete the actions required and for the system to update. As soon as this has been completed, you will be notified.

Kind regards,
Universal Credit.

Kind regards, Universal Credit! Stroll on.

Here's my response

Do you understand that your response telling me about the internal workings of the system hasn't answered my question? I would like some money for Christmas, money I should have received on 7th November. The money that was kept from me through no fault of mine and you're telling me how the claim is being resolved. No time-frame, not even a clue. How would you feel about that?

Exactly this. I am now being taken on for 56 days to see if they can find me a landlord. Not interested in a HMO and they were quite clear about being happy to stop helping me the moment I don't want what they were offering but I think I'll also be in a band that gives me an outside chance of social housing. It will be in the arse end of nowhere out in the sticks, but still, housing for less than the cost of 4 days work a week is an amazing thought.

Kind regards x

Here's today's journal update

We do have to wait for the technical team to complete the actions required and for the system to update. As soon as this has been completed, you will be notified.

Kind regards,
Universal Credit.

Kind regards, Universal Credit! Stroll on.

Here's my response

Do you understand that your response telling me about the internal workings of the system hasn't answered my question? I would like some money for Christmas, money I should have received on 7th November. The money that was kept from me through no fault of mine and you're telling me how the claim is being resolved. No time-frame, not even a clue. How would you feel about that?
good luck - one of the best things about my job is when I sign someone up for a council flat and they were previously homeless :thumbs:

I got my money at 4ishpm on 24th. Thanks for the help people, means a lot.
Pleased that you finally got your money, but significantly annoyed - on your behalf - about their cock-ups / bad attitude.
Hopefully [finger n toes crossed] that you can get settled somewhere.

Reactions: bmd
Ok,I always thought I was quite savvy when it came to claiming what I was entitled to and the system used to be a lot better.Back in November I claimed for PIP and waited and waited,not even acknowledgment that I had sent it,Which took me ages to fill in,Tried phoning them but never getting through ,Glad it was a freephone number otherwise I would have been fucked with a massive phone bill.Got in touch with a welfare rights worker at my local council and he got through to them[perhaps they have a magic number that we lesser mortals don't know about] He said they have received my claim but will take around 11 weeks to process.When the bastards do reply it will be negative and have to start all over again.

Just got a reply from DWP about my PIP claim and have an appointment,So keeping my fingers crossed for that.

Back
Top Bottom