Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Negotiating when buying a car

tommers

Fuck it, it's fine.
I'm thinking about buying a car but I have no idea what to do. It will be second hand, from a dealer I imagine.

What kind of discount off the marked price do I go for? Do they normally chuck in a service? Or a warranty or something? Does it matter if I use finance or not? I've never bought a car before really, got this one off a neighbour and my previous one was off my dad. And they are expensive and I don't like buying expensive things, so it makes me nervous.

My car has minimal trade in value, it's a 14 year old Fabia with a big dent in the drivers side door.
:)

Not much discount to be had these days due to people being able to compare online. They typically have to price competitively in order to get a look in. Research the price by comparing cars of the same spec nationally, that’s what you should expect to pay.

You should expect a warranty of some sort, although this depends on the age/value of the car. You’re protected by consumer law to some extent anyway so at the bottom end of the market warranty is kindof irrelevant.

Last edited:
Look at the carburettor and slowly shake your head, look up at the salesman/woman and appear on the point of speech then look back at the engine and slowly shake your head, then ask to look at another car. Return to the car after and offer £250 off the asking price. Never fails

You'll be buying it with a new mot, one of my biggest tips is to check the authenticity of that mot.

My van had a mileage discrepancy of 118,000 miles. Turned out to be shit handwriting on the certificate but I had a massive fuck on with it that was all down to checking it in that free database thing against MOT records etc

Look at the carburettor and slowly shake your head, look up at the salesman/woman and appear on the point of speech then look back at the engine and slowly shake your head, then ask to look at another car. Return to the car after and offer £250 off the asking price. Never fails
You forgot about kicking the tyres.

How many modern cars have carburettors? Aren't they all injection these days?

ETA I'm also trying to buy a car. Because of the state of the current used car market there's very little discount to be had, even on very new/more expensive cars.

Say ‘discount for cash?’ and then give them a big wink and tap your nose. £75 saved.
I once went to buy a car from a dealership and asked for a discount for cash and the bloke said to me that he got a commission for selling finance. Weird little fella, said he used to work in a bank. I bought the car , drove to my sons to show him it and he asked how much, and then I remembered that the salesman had actually forgotten to take my debit card payment. I had to ring him to remind him and arrange to pay.

My van had a mileage discrepancy of 118,000 miles. Turned out to be shit handwriting on the certificate but I had a massive fuck on with it that was all down to checking it in that free database thing against MOT records etc
Well that sucks, must of been written by a doctor :D we call mots roadworthys here (rwc) and it's really not hard to get a phoneworthy :hmm: its got harder over the years cos digital, but its not about the system, people will always find a workaround

Reactions: bmd
This is sometimes when the car supermarkets are a plus because the price is the price. You just have to avoid being pressured to take the extras.

My car has minimal trade in value, it's a 14 year old Fabia with a big dent in the drivers side door.
:)

Here's your problem right here. You need to change this mindset. Your Fabia is the best Fabia in the UK and the dealer should be on his knees weeping with gratitude that he gets the chance to take it in trade in.

Be ambivalent about the car you want be deadly serious about walking away. Generally a punter will be doing well to get 10% off at retail so that's your goal. There's still plenty of profit in them at that level and if they say differently they are lying.

All of the bollocks about finance, etc. is irrelevant. All that matters is the number and you need to drive that down with a combination of indifference and obstinacy.

I’ve done ok in the past buying the various used cars I’ve had - I’m definitely better at buying them than selling privately. Basic technique is to be nice throughout, be interested in every detail about the car so they see you’re a genuine buyer, but when it comes to making an offer explain with reasons why the car is not worth their price to you and most importantly do walk away from it if they’re not budging on price.

Often the price doesn’t get dropped until you stand up to leave, but it’s important to do this in an agreeable way rather than storming out like a prima donna.

Bought my current car from Car Giant , seemed to take ages 🤣 (I think we were there 2 hours) they try and upsell extras which I declined . They generally have petrol/diesel for a few miles (but did tell me where the nearest petrol station was ) not sure what charge they would have on an electric . Post sale they were OK , I complained about a punctured tyre a few days afterwards, they agreed to refund the cost (it was £60) & they did pay up.

Tried to help a friend buying a used car. I looked it over and noticed among other things that the front brake disks were shot. Not just a bit worn but worn out. The seller brushed it off saying they were fine. No I said they are not and that should be £100 off.

Sadly my friend didn't push and ended up paying the asking price. At the first MOT guess what disks failed needed replacement and new pads, cost in excess of £100 :(

How many modern cars have carburettors? Aren't they all injection these days?

ETA I'm also trying to buy a car. Because of the state of the current used car market there's very little discount to be had, even on very new/more expensive cars.
The point remains the same whether buying vintage cars or not, look at the engine, shake your head etc. It's one weird trick the secondhand car salesman doesn't want you to know

that the easy part these days

can look up anyone mot history with the Gov website
Check the MOT history of a vehicle

study the Mot History and bring it up when buying it shows anything nasty
also if it failed almost every mot run away

I forgot you have to get a mot every 12 months there, sorry my bad. Here, you only need to have one when you officially change the owner :hmm: so it can go a long time in-between mots/road worthy certificates here, they aren't going to tell a tale :)

Thats crazy seeming as i'm guessing due to the size difference between Australia and the UK and ireland

your cars much have a hell of more harder a life than the uk, Just popping down the road 200 miles :D

In the days when I bought old bangers my then beau and I would just look all over the car, very worriedly, but without saying a thing - pretty soon the sellers would be pointing out the faults :D and from there negotiation was easy "So that's £50 off because ..."

I think you have to have an idea what you are prepared to pay for a motor.

If that is the asking price all the better.

Some sellers simply won't haggle and if the asking price is ok you have to respect that.

I know some buyers though that won't buy if they can't get any reductions at all which is plain stupid.

I once went to buy a car from a dealership and asked for a discount for cash and the bloke said to me that he got a commission for selling finance. Weird little fella, said he used to work in a bank. I bought the car , drove to my sons to show him it and he asked how much, and then I remembered that the salesman had actually forgotten to take my debit card payment. I had to ring him to remind him and arrange to pay.
That should have been worthy of a huge discount before coughing up.

It is always a good idea to check the oil for bits or metal / dirt etc

Do like I did when buying my first 21st century 2nd hard car (Merc E): ask to dip the oil as above, proud in the knowledge that I knew better than to kick the tyres.
Listen in alarm as the dealer explains there is no dipstick in that model and mentally write off that 10% discount you were confidently expecting to haggle

RE finance - I found that when recently buying a 19 plate from a dealer, that there was no discount for cash. In fact I needed to get the finance in order to to get a warranty and a couple of free services. So I had to go to the hassle of getting a nominal finance deal that I then paid off the day the papers came through and before any interest had accrued.

It is always a good idea to check the oil for bits or metal / dirt etc

Do like I did when buying my first 21st century 2nd hard car (Merc E): ask to dip the oil as above, proud in the knowledge that I knew better than to kick the tyres.
Listen in alarm as the dealer explains there is no dipstick in that model and mentally write off that 10% discount you were confidently expecting to haggle

RE finance - I found that when recently buying a 19 plate from a dealer, that there was no discount for cash. In fact I needed to get the finance in order to to get a warranty and a couple of free services. So I had to go to the hassle of getting a nominal finance deal that I then paid off the day the papers came through and before any interest had accrued.
Also discount accrued for the various insurances like gap insurance, redundancy protection and then there are the special paint treatments on offer, like diamond bright.

Also discount accrued for the various insurances like gap insurance, redundancy protection and then there are the special paint treatments on offer, like diamond bright.
Ignored all of them
Although briefly considered getting wheel insurance as we park on the road and have very high kerbs - completely destroyed the alloys on the previous car
Decided not to and of course it took a mere 5 days for Mrs nick to kerb It (admit the possibliity it could have been me. But it wasnt). Just accepting that all 4 wheels will be knackered by the end of our ownership .
In fact I may go out and take a chisel to the doors and sandpaper to the bumpers - just to get the inevitable out of the way. Serves me right for having a car in London

Back
Top Bottom