Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

National League 2024-2025

JimW

支那暗杀团
Back where we came from! Fixtures out today; we'll be away first month as we're laying a new hybrid pitch and in keeping with our organisational shambles it won't be ready. Southend look like they'll finally be free of martin any day now so will be contenders, Maidenhead had a windfall from a sell-on clause from some lad just flogged by Wolves (who screwed maidenhead out of part of the fee I read), Oldham not sure how together they are, all in all not so many obvious champions elect as in recent seasons. We also get to reunite with Cooper who's brought Yeovil up.
Opening day just a month away:
1720617913520.png

Last edited:
I've got no idea about any of the NL teams so should be an enlightening season. Looking forward to August bank holiday and the long cycle to Nailsworth from Bristol, or Cam and Dursley train station if I'm being more realistic.

They're also introducing something with Prem B teams like the dismal EFL Trophy in the league. It involves the top sixteen sides which means some will have a fixture pile-up and others not, which seems barmy and unfair. Expect rules will want us to play mostly first team as well.

Preseason continues tonight with the massive Nailsworth derby away at Shortwood (you can see Meadowbank from The New Lawn) in front of a sell-out crowd of 500. Think last time I was there was when Wood drew Port Vale in the cup but been for other preseason games. Lovely ground.
Signed a promising young keeper from the Gas on season-long loan, looking increasingly well set. Even the pitch works seem to be going OK and it might be ready on schedule.

Great for morale. Hope they're able to keep this up into the season. And a fantastic signing with Jed Ward. I'm feeling hopeful...

And we know what they say about hope.

Great for morale. Hope they're able to keep this up into the season. And a fantastic signing with Jed Ward. I'm feeling hopeful...

And we know what they say about hope.
Ward does sound like an excellent addition, England u-20s too. Did smile on a National League forum when asking Stones fans how he did for them last season's loan, and they said great bar two early clangers, one of which was away to Aldershot. Ruh-roh.

Right old ding-song at Shots, started even then we made a horrible error, let their lad in and were two down in short order when the same bloke finished a beauty. Woke up and pulled one back, came out after the half on fire and went three-two up, but Shots kept plugging away and levelled. Frenetic end might have gone either way but we were more likely to concede than score so I'll take the three points and the big wake-up call.

Perfect away day in Lincolnshire but scoreline a touch flattering. First came from an early Pilgrim's defensive mix-up (how nice for it to be the oppo doing that), then second was an absolute worldie from centre circle when Sercombe spotted their keeper only just off his line. In between Boston had a lot of good play without ever really threatening. Then work a good third just before the half to really take the wind out of their sails. That did seem case second half as they were much less lively, we weren't pulling up trees either but eventually worked a simple classic from a cutback for Didge to head in. Time folate drama as they got a soft-looking pen, but Ward just stood up and it was smacked straight at him so clean sheet too.
Still lots for us to work on cutting out some of the unforced errors, but obviously season off to a great start.

Perfect away day in Lincolnshire but scoreline a touch flattering. First came from an early Pilgrim's defensive mix-up (how nice for it to be the oppo doing that), then second was an absolute worldie from centre circle when Sercombe spotted their keeper only just off his line. In between Boston had a lot of good play without ever really threatening. Then work a good third just before the half to really take the wind out of their sails. That did seem case second half as they were much less lively, we weren't pulling up trees either but eventually worked a simple classic from a cutback for Didge to head in. Time folate drama as they got a soft-looking pen, but Ward just stood up and it was smacked straight at him so clean sheet too.
Still lots for us to work on cutting out some of the unforced errors, but obviously season off to a great start.
Just back from a camping trip and this was a real treat. Much better than last week, a much needed boost for a team who seem pretty fragile and easily shaken. I need to find the highlights now...

Just back from a camping trip and this was a real treat. Much better than last week, a much needed boost for a team who seem pretty fragile and easily shaken. I need to find the highlights now...
Can't link from phone as blocked here but all up on National League's YouTube channel. Barnet Tuesday night, that'll be a good test of progress.
ETA

What a peach from Sercombe, and his second is quality too. Bit of a cheat code at this level.

Last edited:
Went to The Hive and seemingly set up to defend, which was going OK albeit leaving Barnet to dominate possession, then a second yellow for Long late on and all the hard work went to waste as they finally got their goal, having been restricted to the single shot previously. Odd moment on the counter while we had the full complement but did seem a pretty negative approach, tough one to lose but didn't deserve to win.

Even first half at Dale with them shading it; don't panic! Bring Osadebe on late and we'll nick it.

Brought Osadebe on very late and failed to nick it. Fairly solid at the back but not stringing many passes together.

Well, home game at last, against Alty, hybrid pitch apparently ready when it looked touch and go preseason. A win would do wonders of course, we're tight but a bit negative,

Winner at the death for a change. Led early, Alty decent first half but lacked an end product, then we managed to concede late having just made subs to shore things up, doh. But one last push in final minute of injury time and McCann cracked a belter in. Splendid. Still a bit lacking going forwards, Doidge, who got the opener, needs someone else with him.

I managed to get down for today's game. being in the stand for McCann's goal was fantastic. It felt like it was ours to lose and then we managed to snatch it. A great way to spend the bank holiday Monday.

Two proven if not prolific strikers in on the same day, Cardwell from Southend and Quigley who helped Chesterfield to promotion; feels like the missing pieces falling into place. If we hang on to McAllister until the League window shuts we've done very well.

Happy to go in ahead, Sutton were getting through a bit too easily for my liking early doors, but for about the first time this season we've been using Tozer's long throws and in the end a simple goal thanks to a good run by Inniss making space for a Doidge bullet. That and an enforced sub thrown Sutton off a bit and we finished stronger. Sure they'll regroup so lots left to do.

Sutton eventually got the goal they deserved, bit disappointing from our POV as of course there's always stuff you could have done better, but another late winner from McCann, great vision from Ward to send one up the line and fine running and cross from McAllister to make it.

Solid if scrappy away win at Moors, more possession than has been our wont this term but not really threatening with it first half, then come out and score almost straight off with a neat move. Solihull neat if niggly and won a pen after we failed to clear, but Jed Ward saved another and really did everything right to do it, superstar. Rest went fairly smoothly and we looked more likely to extend our lead than lose it. Quigley came on and looked handy, bench got some quality on it too now.

Back
Top Bottom