Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

NASA helical engine5

Conservation of momentum is absolutely fundamental to the laws of the universe, so if you get a mathematical result that seems to defy it, then your maths is wrong somewhere. This guy's been peddling his idea for over two years now, and every time knowledgeable people discuss it, they poke obvious holes in it immediately. eg: Helical Engine

There are no loopholes in relativity. It is the most watertight theory in the history of physics.

Best bet for a reactionless space drive is if it's possible to create negative matter. Robert L Forward argues that negative matter propulsion systems would not violate Newtonian conservation of momentum.

it seems that DARPA researchers working on something else have created a - tiny - warp bubble. This could be the most profound moment in history, or another cold fusion. I just don't remember enough physics to judge.

Last edited:
Conservation of momentum is absolutely fundamental to the laws of the universe, so if you get a mathematical result that seems to defy it, then your maths is wrong somewhere. This guy's been peddling his idea for over two years now, and every time knowledgeable people discuss it, they poke obvious holes in it immediately. eg: Helical Engine

There are no loopholes in relativity. It is the most watertight theory in the history of physics.
I can see one loophole in E=mc^2. But I don't think its useable. Coulomb's law fucks it I think.
(different propulsion idea anyway)

If you are going to fuck with E=mc^2. Its the c you would look at. Not just because its a ^2 but because of the relatative nature of vacuums....Neat things vaccuums, they are in part why an America's Cup yacht will out run the wind to a fair degree

it seems that DARPA researchers working on something else have created a - tiny - warp bubble. This could be the most profound moment in history, or another cold fusion. I just don't know enough physics to judge.

It's tiny, and without exotic/negative mass-energy, it will never travel at superluminal speeds. But it's more of a start than I could have hoped for, and I guess it would still count as a reactionless drive, assuming it leads anywhere.

I know that a fair amount of physicists are a rather sneery about the prospect of negative/exotic mass-energy actually being physical, and to be honest that's not an unreasonable position to have. Which is why so much hard work has been done to formulate warp metrics that don't require it. But personally I remain hopeful that the existence of the Casimir effect is the loophole required for such a substance to be allowable by physics.

Back
Top Bottom