Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Muller Rice release a toe-curlingly bad 'diverse' advert

I hadn't seen the advert before, but on viewing it here find nothing remarkable about it. It seems like any other advert to me. Not funny, engaging, interesting or anything. Exactly the sort of thing I put on mute while I make a cup of tea.

It is funny as fuck. How is giving the characters a race offensive?
It isn't, automatically. I've just seen so much that is that it just makes me recoil in horror and this is teetering. Less horrific to me on watching again, tbf.

On watching it again (now that I'm not at the office) I think it's about as racist as Goldie-Looking Chain to be honest... that is to say that it's the hip-hop style (or the style of hip-hop) rather than "black people" that's the butt of the joke here. I've seen how easily some people don't make that distinction though, I know I've been uncomfortable where I know what's really in the mind of the er... 'joker'.

I can only speak for myself of course but sometimes it strikes me that the racism can sometimes be more in the accusation of racism in reaction to a thing rather than the thing being reacted to as racist. On more than one occasion it's almost as if the mere reference to 'black culture' by someone who isn't black is verboten... like we're not supposed to be referenced or looked at or considered as part of the general culture, black as untouchable if you see what I mean... probably not because I'm probably describing what I mean wrong. "Don't look at them, don't use their music, they are over there and not part of the general body of work called human life". Perhaps when the concept of cultural-appropriation effectively becomes a form of cultural segregation, or racism in negative space ("if you're born a white man then you have won in the lottery of life", which is somehow mysteriously different from Kiplins thoughts on being born English, but said as if guilty rather than proud- it's the same essential bullshit world view surely?

Anyway not to drift off into wherever I'll just say that if none of that makes any sense at all then I blame the after-work red.
No, that makes sense. It's just so easy to get it wrong and those arguments so often get used when it /is/ wrong.

It's brilliant. Look how many people are talking about it. Whether it's bad or good artistically etc doesn't matter. People are talking about the ad and the product. That's the point of advertising. The one thing you don't want is an ad that people don't remember, whatever the reasons they recall it.
Not sure that it's always such a good thing, you know:

Muller Rice accused of racism over 'black stereotypes' bear advert | Metro News

Lots Of People Are Unhappy With Müller Rice's 'Racist' New Advert thehooknew

Watch: This advertisement with bears emulating African-American stereotypes is being called racist

Back
Top Bottom