Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

most influential books

Hangover Square by Patrick Hamilton

Excellent book. Very dark but excellent. For anyone from West london it'll hold added pleasure.

Basically shows the power a girls beauty can hold over a fella but how a man's infatuation can turn very evil

there is much more to the book than that though.

Got get.

The Bible - grew up in a christian household - and have sifted the bits out that I like such as - everything is permissable but not everything is beneficial - makes sense to me.

the Women's Room - made me a feminist.

Shakespeare, where language truly can be beautiful and inspiring, and after which I feel very human. I still return to the plays for comfort when I'm feeling a bit 'down'.

BB :)

Does 'Kay's Catalogue 1984 Spring/Summer' (section next to the shoes) count as a 'book' - it certainly influenced me.

oddly nothing i read before the age of thirty has left any sort of lasting impression,apart from a vague fuzzy cultral awareness...most odd,I read all the classics,Hassel,Herbert,Price... ;)

"one flew over the cookoos nest",Ken Kessy and "heaven and hell" by Aldous Huxley.

more recently mainly "letter to daniel" by Fergal Keane "football factory" by Jon King. "The Lion and The Unicorn" by George Orwell."about a boy" by nick hornby.

Maddalene said:
He he I did something similar.

Right I'm off (I think today or tomorrow) to get summat to read - any suggestions please.

Authors I like... Flann O brien, George Orwell...Magaret Attwood...

Any advice please???

If you like Flann O'Brien, you might like J.P.Donleavy. Try "The Saddest Summer of Samuel S" or maybe "The Onion Eaters".

Most influential books - that's a hard one. I guess the books that influenced me most were the ones that I read as a kid, probably because I was more open to influence then. One that really sticks out in my memory was "A Wrinkle In Time" by Madelene L'Engle.

belboid said:
Our Flag Stays Red - Phil Piratin

Bought that the other week in the excellent oxfam bookshop in Chester. Looks like a good read.

I was v.influenced by a couple of books of Orwells essays and Animal Farm. Not a big fan of 1984 though.

Slogging through Ragged Trousered Philanphropists having heard so many people say how it influenced their politics. Pretty good read but I'm surprised so many people stuck it out to the end.

these books influenced me a lot in my late teens...

comte de lautremont..maldoror
jan kerouac..baby driver
herbert selby jr...last exit to brooklyn
richard cavendish..the black arts
anything by flannery o'connor

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich - cold hard and moving
Crime and Punishment - pretty much my favourate book ever so far
Wuthering Heights / Little Women - read at 8 ... gave me a stupid view of romance

Another book which also opened my mind was The Death of Ivan Ilyich - helped me understand dying from the dyings point of view. I think everyone should read it.

The War Lord of the Air - Michael Moorcock
Post-Scarcity Anarchism - Murray Bookchin
Growing Up Absurd - Paul Goodman
Running Linux - Matt Welsh et al

The Social Contract - Jean Jacques Rousseau
Profession of Violence: Rise and Fall of the Kray Twins - John Pearson
Letters To A Young Contratrian - Christopher Hitchens

And 'London Fields' by Martin Amis. Was a Duranie and read a Simon LeBon interview where he said he'd enjoyed 'Money' by Amis so, being the devotee I was, off I trotted to the bookshop to get a copy but 'London Fields' caught my eye instead. And that was the book that got me into reading. Still play darts to this day.

anfield said:
Bought that the other week in the excellent oxfam bookshop in Chester. Looks like a good read.
if you enjoy it you really should read the Jacobs, a superb compliment!

Two books influenced me,Prince Caspian by C.S.Lewis and Watership Down by Richard thingy,bugger I've lost his name :eek: anyway you know who I mean :rolleyes:
these two book got me into books big time as a child

Donna Ferentes said:
The Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin.

Ooo, damn good book that.

An addition to my list; Asimov, namely his books the Caves of Steel and The Naked Sun and the twoo others following that in the series. Not quite in such an overt way as others but certain things within the book got under my skin.

belboid said:

I've heard it's supposed to be good...
_889201_adamsbook150.jpg

George Orwell - Nineteen Eighty Four

William Morris - News From Nowhere

John Steinbeck - The Grapes of Wrath

Dee Brown - Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee

Joseph Heller - Catch 22

All been influential at times

:cool:

Jeremy Clarkson: The World According To Clarkson.

It is a really comforting read; it will confirm how you already perceive yourself and the world. There's less to him than Top Gear you know.

Back
Top Bottom