Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Microsoft office

My first accounts program used Dbase II so a spreadsheet was a dreeeeeam.
Did you know that there was never a Dbase 1? The inventors called it II so people would think it was second generation, so the bugs would have been fixed.

Back in the day, a functional DBII, you had to leave out the help files, could be be run from a 256k floppy, with room for data files. Ditto Lotus 123.

Yep just read that, also that the eventual Dbase IV (which may have been the version I used, can't remember now) was so crap and buggy that it killed off the product/company.

Office 2010 will still be perfectly decent, I'd install that for the moment. I have a newer version I torrented and it isnt much different tbh.

Yep just read that, also that the eventual Dbase IV (which may have been the version I used, can't remember now) was so crap and buggy that it killed off the product/company.
Yeah, everyone was going a bit mad by then. And, meanwhile, Nantucket's Clipper was filling in the gaps dBase IV left, albeit using the same file format. Although they also jumped the shark with a very ambitious late-compilation object-based front end for the whole thing which I think scared the shit out of the dBase programming community (not me, I was on the beta team).

And then I went all Big Iron, and spent my time showing people how to make Oracle work, which was harder than it looks.

Download the iso.

Install a local kms activator.

Job done.

Download the iso.

Install a local kms activator.

Job done.
Cheers. Going to try the blag disc and key off my mate tomorrow as Riklet recommended. If no joy with that can I pick your brains as that Kms stuff has just bent my tiny mind. Remember when cash machines came out and elderly people looked at them like they were operating the starship enterprise? Well that's me now with this ^^^^:hmm:

Cheers. Going to try the blag disc and key off my mate tomorrow as Riklet recommended. If no joy with that can I pick your brains as that Kms stuff has just bent my tiny mind. Remember when cash machines came out and elderly people looked at them like they were operating the starship enterprise? Well that's me now with this ^^^^:hmm:
Tell me about it - I was like that when they started needing pound coins in supermarket trolleys :mad:

The ISOs from that tool come direct from Microsoft, so all good there, it's the easiest way of getting for example just Word or just Excel (or both) without the bloat of everything else.

KMS stands for key management server. It's what businesses use to activate their corporate versions of Office and Windows.

The 'hack' turns your device into a 'local KMS server', converts Office (and Windows if not licensed) into a corporate license version and activates it against the corporate keys (which Microsoft publish publicly) on the local device every 180 days. I've done this for multiple people in the past and it works like a charm. I beleive it even activates Server editions too. The only thing you need to do if you use an AntiVirus other than the Microsoft provided one is add the path of the file to your AV exceptions. If you use the built Microsoft AV, the script does it all for you. Run once and forget about it.

Appreciate these posts probably break the rules of the forum so if an admin needs to edit them )or at least the one with links to the tools) feel free, but all this stuff is easily found on the Internet if you google key words from the paragraph above! ;)

The ISOs from that tool come direct from Microsoft, so all good there, it's the easiest way of getting for example just Word or just Excel (or both) without the bloat of everything else.

KMS stands for key management server. It's what businesses use to activate their corporate versions of Office and Windows.

The 'hack' turns your device into a 'local KMS server', converts Office (and Windows if not licensed) into a corporate license version and activates it against the corporate keys (which Microsoft publish publicly) on the local device every 180 days. I've done this for multiple people in the past and it works like a charm. I beleive it even activates Server editions too. The only thing you need to do if you use an AntiVirus other than the Microsoft provided one is add the path of the file to your AV exceptions. If you use the built Microsoft AV, the script does it all for you. Run once and forget about it.

Appreciate these posts probably break the rules of the forum so if an admin needs to edit them )or at least the one with links to the tools) feel free, but all this stuff is easily found on the Internet if you google key words from the paragraph above! ;)

It certainly does work a charm. :)

That ^^ doesn't sound legit cybershot :hmm:
I know but there seems to be an office thread every other month moaning about monthly subs (you can still get perpetual licenses for 2016, 2019, you’re not limited to 365) and I couldn’t be arsed to dm this time.

not that I condone it but Microsoft reall aren’t arsed about consumer piracy. He’ll you can install windows 10 and never activate it and it works perfectly apart from a few customisation options and a watermark. They would prefer people using their stuff than a competitors at the end of the day.

Cheers cyber. Installed :thumbs:

I know but there seems to be an office thread every other month moaning about monthly subs (you can still get perpetual licenses for 2016, 2019, you’re not limited to 365) and I couldn’t be arsed to dm this time.

not that I condone it but Microsoft reall aren’t arsed about consumer piracy. He’ll you can install windows 10 and never activate it and it works perfectly apart from a few customisation options and a watermark. They would prefer people using their stuff than a competitors at the end of the day.
Really the only ethical issue around pirating MS software is that by doing so you perpetuate their market position. That's the reason that I don't personally but I'm not going to judge anyone else. Same with Adobe.

Ey02iVVXEAEeyFk.jpg

Speaking of Adobe. They’ve been getting some bad press themselves today on their pay monthly subscription platform after someone’s tweet blew up that if you try to cancel you’re even charged a cancellation fee. I think it’s basically because he got into a 12 month contract (which wasn’t clear) and if you cancel you STILL have to pay for the unused time even though you won’t be licensed. Fucking hell! No wonder they want kids learning their software in schools.

That was where I've seen the meme popping up. They do share a historical strategy with MS that both have been very happy with piracy, as well as lobbying governments for educational use, to make sure their products get market dominance. MS got hit with a lot of antitrust for this (was reading a piece saying that this was why Bill left MS in favour of maintaining IP on pharmaceuticals) and Google ate their lunch in schools, but it's all very familiar practice in general.

Back
Top Bottom