Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Microsoft Office banned in German Schools

savoloysam

Pigman's pigman's ha ha charade you are..
Banned over GDPR privacy concerns. Now that Google and Facebook seem to be getting all the stick over data harvesting and selling it's easy to forget that Microsoft have been secretly spying on its users long before those companies were in the game. None of these tech giants are to be trusted. None of them.

Link

Banned over GDPR privacy concerns. Now that Google and Facebook seem to be getting all the stick over data harvesting and selling it's easy to forget that Microsoft have been secretly spying on its users long before those companies were in the game. None of these tech giants are to be trusted. None of them.

Link

365 is a little bit more then office.

Problem is a lot of pseudo AI services just won’t work without collecting user data. you can use Lennox for all your office knees if you want but good luck with that. The bigger problem is the far reaching powers of the cloud act.

Link
Where I work they've all the ms things and have recently abandoned other suppliers for a closer relationship with microsoft

We had this issue with 365, teams and a few other applications at work - particularly Teams. It all came down to the GPDR and where the various servers handling our data were located. Assurances were sought and given and it seems to have blown-over for now.

I didn't realize OpenOffice was still going - how does it compare do you know?
Libre Office is really good, I find it a lot easier to use than I did a decade or so ago. Probably two or three times a year I do have to switch back into Microsoft Office for something, but I'm a very heavy user and I know there's other alternatives I could use to fill the gaps, I've just not got around to learning them yet.

Might give it a try - I do really like LibreOffice, the only complaint I've got is that when you're searching for something in a document they don't really highlight the words your search has found so I have to read the whole fucking page to find them. I keep meaning to ask them about that - whether there's a box I could tick for "don't make search results invisible"

I am happy using MS Office. If you're really worried about the FBI accessing your files you don't have to use the cloud features, and you can change all the data sharing options in the settings.

I am happy using MS Office. If you're really worried about the FBI accessing your files you don't have to use the cloud features, and you can change all the data sharing options in the settings.
you should remove the letter from your avatar then everyone will know you're taking the p

Never been a big fan of Microsoft products and when working for myself over the last decade have generally gone down a linux / open source route when possible. But now I'm back working in an organisational environment using Office 365 and the change in corporate systems in a decade is enormous - no doubt massively accelerated by the pandemic. The cloud stuff is the product now - I think I'd struggle to return to a mostly offline way of doing things, especially for anything involving collaboration.

I didn't realize OpenOffice was still going - how does it compare do you know?
It's been a while but I preferred it on MacOs to Office 2019, though it (and LibreOffice) would sometimes mangle formatting on some docs/spreadsheets produced in Office. Probably me doing something wrong.

I now mostly use Office (cracked) on a Windows machine for Officey stuff. Except editing .csv files which Excel always fucks up. I don't think any of them are perfect.

As I say I'm impressed with LibreOffice. My experience is that it handles Office documents really well, even complicated documents with a lot of formatting and a lot of Track Changes, which I often need.

Back
Top Bottom