Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Michael Owen signs for Stoke

I think the way the transfer unfolded says it all. Stoke approached him in may, he said no, he sat and waited for a better offer, & sat & sat & sat, the transfer window closed, he still sat & now it appears that Stokes the best he'll get hes signed.

Doesnt sound like a man who wants to be there, nor a man that others want.

I think Owens career pretty much ended when he chose a wage packet & the bench at Old Trafford, rather than playing football week in, week out, to try and re-establish himeslf.

That to me told the story of a guy whose passion for football had waned and whose passion for money was greater.

The man was born with a talent, so he will still score goals, if hes motivated, but his injury record & his loss of passion means he'll never be the player he was.

I suspect this will be his last proper club & no matter what performances he puts in it will in football terms (so forgetting merch & ticket sales) be bad value for money, with his high wages.

Im guessing though that Stoke are more interested in the extra revenue they hope they can generate from the signing to off set that.

If he had an ounce of passion he'd offer his services to Everton, his boyhood club, for next to nought.

I think he was desperate when he went to Man Utd, noone wanted him then either, there wasn't any scrap to sign Michael Owen it was the same thing where he had to go and pimp himself out and accept a special contract because he can only play about 15 games a season.

It's really easy to hate him but he was one of the best players in the world until he broke his leg in 2005. I bet he's more pissed off than you that he has a crocked leg

here are MOs brand values from his infamous 2009 "get me out of here" escape Brochure:

• - Fit and healthy
  • - Clean and fresh
  • - Charismatic
  • - First Class
  • - Good looking
  • - Articulate
  • - Successful
  • - Global
  • - Technical
  • - Young
  • - Enthusiastic
  • - Instinctive
  • - Dynamic
  • - Stylish
  • - Aspirational
  • - Committed
  • - Respected
  • - Cool
  • - Sincere
  • - Devoted
  • - Resilient
They missed off " lazy greedy fuck who cried when 'Pool refused to take him back from Real Madrid"

Thing is - he's actually quite good when given a start. Presumably something he'll be doing at Stoke. His start/goal ratio is excellent, and always has been. A good signing methinks.

QPR and Stoke ought to be ashamed of themselves signing these players like Peter Crouch and Joey Barton and Michael Owen

Imagine you were an 18 year old in their youth team and you thought you might get a chance to break into the first team but you have no chance because they get the 'opportunity' to sign all of these Liverpool rejects

QPR and Stoke ought to be ashamed of themselves signing these players like Peter Crouch and Joey Barton and Michael Owen

Imagine you were an 18 year old in their youth team and you thought you might get a chance to break into the first team but you have no chance because they get the 'opportunity' to sign all of these Liverpool rejects
18 year olds will be an old 'reject' at some point in their lives too.

Could be an interesting acquistion for Stoke are they attempting to change their playing style with Charlie Adam signed? He can feed off the Peter Crouch knockdowns and poach a few if he remains fit. Still a little mercenary fuck though.

"Delighted to have signed for Stoke subject to Premier League approval. We have been in talks for a while and it was a club I was always keen to join" Of course little Mickie....very keen :D

I remember when ickle mick was nailed-on to break all sorts of goalscoring records for England.

Seems a lifetime ago.

Maybe they will if they are/were good enough, such are the joys of modern football.

Michael Owen is pretty exceptional for how brazenly he has sabotaged his own football career for the sake of his golf/racehorse interests

There have been a lot of players who seemed destined for greatness who didn't really make it because of injuries but not many who took it to that level.

He scored a goal a game for United when he started, altho granted not many of those were Prem starts. Not a bad record. Just too much competition for a starting place. I'm actually surprised more sides weren't in for him.

Back
Top Bottom