Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mexico City for elderly in-laws...

Sweet FA

✪ Three rounds Lord, in my .44 ✪
Wondering if anyone can help me out... My ma & pa in law (both late 70s but pretty perky) are realising a long held dream and are planning a couple of weeks in Mexico next year for their 50th (!) anniversary. My experience of DF is 12 years out of date and basically consisted of a tequila/cocaine bender with a side trip to Teotihuacan, a brief mugging and a bus to Oaxaca :facepalm:

Any suggestions for hotels/areas to stay in/current safety situation/whether it's a good idea at all?

Thanks for any help :)

Coyaocan and San Angel are pretty mellow and picturesque areas that offer some respite from the traffic.

The City centre is pretty much done up now and is much safer/cleaner/easier than it was.

Teotihuacan and the Anthropology Musuems are probably must does.

Disclaimer: I haven't been back in four years mind...

Coyaocan and San Angel are pretty mellow and picturesque areas that offer some respite from the traffic.

The City centre is pretty much done up now and is much safer/cleaner/easier than it was.

Teotihuacan and the Anthropology Musuems are probably must does.

Disclaimer: I haven't been back in four years mind...
i've been recently and what you say is still true by all accounts ie the city is one of the safer bits of the country and shouldn't be a problem for elderly tourists seeing stuff in the day etc.

We stayed in some anodyne travelodge (with added Tequila) style hotel in the business district for a friend's wedding a few years back and it was clean, comfortable and a welcoming area to get around. Surprisingly friendly people and excellent, ease to use buses providing cheap access across the city. Can probably dig up some details if you're vaguely interested

Not exactly the most character-filled experience admittedly, but it was a good base in the middle of working Mexico city. There's plenty elsewhere in Mexico to venture after all.

i reckon if you were a bit elderly and just there for a few days you probably need to be staying right in the centre rather than in a business district... walking distance from stuff you want to see anyway. the transport system is all a bit hectic. taxis are cheap tho i guess.

If I was elderly and in Mexico City I'd use the metrobus and walk the rest. Taxis are notorious in DF for dodginess (I used them at least twice a day for 4 years though...) and the buses are mental. Think gladiatorial chariot racing and you get the idea... The tube is good, if you avoid peak times.

thinking about it, if it was my mum and dad i would get them to get the hotel (or ideally a local friend) to arrange a single trustworthy private taxi driver to do all the dropoffs and pickups etc, so they'd always have the same driver for the whole stay. because i know my parents wouldn't get on with any of the public transport at all, as they don't even like it in london. it would cost a lot more, but it's only for a few days and i reckon they'd have a much better time than spending 4 days trying to work out how to get around, getting tired etc! depends what they're like tho.

Yeah. I used the same taxi driver everyday for my work commute and random ones off the street for other trips. But I dunno if hotels would be great for that kinda connection. They'd probably call you a sitio (more expensive private hire, but also safer) which would probably be a good solution.

Thanks for the replies :)

Getting a cab for their whole time there sounds like a good plan and I think I might suggest a couple of days will do it. They live in very rural Spain so I can see them being a bit overwhelmed by DF tbh.

Got this from a friend who's spent a fair time there which chimes with the advice on this thread :

A good place to stay in Mexico DF, which is very reasonably priced and very central, is Hotel Gillow http://www.hotelgillow.com

If they want to go a bit more upmarket the Holiday Inn in the Zocolo is nice. It also has a wicked roof terrace restaurant looking out over the Zoloco, which I would recommend going to regardless of whether they stay at the hotel.

Best places to go:

1. Anthropological museum in Chapultepec Park

2. Teotihuacan

3. El Palacio de Bellas Artes - for amazing murals and an incredible building.

4. El Palacio Nacional in the Zocolo for impressive Diego Rivera murals.

5. Balderas - a massive Mexican crafts and silver market and a nice park where they have outdoor latin dancing and often live latin music at the weekends.

Places to avoid, be careful if they go and see the Mariachis in Garibaldi because it is near to Tepito and la Merced, two very dodgy areas. You can go there but don't wander off the main roads and think about how to get there and back because, although the danger of taxis is exaggerated, if you don't know the city and don't speak Spanish it is best to get the hotel to order you a taxi that they trust rather than get them on the street. I don't think they are likely to go to other dodgy areas if they are just visitng touristy and cultural things and are sensible.

Other than that advise then to avoid large tattooed men carrying guns, anyone who asks them to swallow condoms full of white powder in return for a free ticket to los estados unidos and drunk policemen.

I used to go to the mariachi bars in garibaldi quite often, if I was them I wouldn't bother. It's not that good (there are better places to see mariachis in all honesty). It's a bit sleazy and a a bit of a rip-off.

Tepito is ace, but they really shouldn't go there.

I wouldn't go to Balderas for the market, but rather down to the weekend markets in Coyocan and San Angel. better lunch options, a bit more picturesque and chilled. Also can see Trotsky and Frida Kahlo houses down there. In Coyoacan the museum of poular culture is really good. Small, but always really, really interesting and only 5 minutes walk from the craft market. There are a couple of cantinas there too that give you a good taste of the tradition, whilst being safe and easy going.

If they ever need a safe haven to rest, get a drink, go to the bathroom the Sanborns chain is a good refuge. They have comfy bars, clean bathrooms and sell a bit of everything.

If I was elderly and in Mexico City I'd use the metrobus and walk the rest. Taxis are notorious in DF for dodginess (I used them at least twice a day for 4 years though...) and the buses are mental. Think gladiatorial chariot racing and you get the idea... The tube is good, if you avoid peak times.

I've got to say that the Metrobus service was pretty impressive. Admittedly I come from South London, where buses aren't the classiest or most sedate, but the Metrobuses were clean, modern and even boasted a dedicated lane in the middle of the road. And for some reason people were absurdly helpful to us - a faltering question in Spanish was invariably answered by half the bus, who seemed to take pride in making sure you got off at the right place. They get a little crowded at peak times admittedly,but nothing too unusual ime

Despite my best efforts at solo wandering and rubbish spanish I failed to get mugged, ripped off or shot at any time.

Back
Top Bottom