Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mercury Prize 2024

PR1Berske

Alligator in chains by the park gates.
Shortlist to be announced on Thursday (on 6Music obviously, the spiritual conduit of the Mercurys)

Link to info: 2024 Mercury Prize 'Albums of the Year' to be announced Thursday 25 July

The 2024 Mercury Prize judges are:

Danielle Perry – Broadcaster & Writer;
Jamie Cullum – Musician & Broadcaster;
Jamz Supernova – Broadcaster & DJ;
Jeff Smith – Head of Music, 6 Music & Radio 2;
Lea Stonhill – Music Programming Consultant;
Mistajam – Songwriter, DJ & Broadcaster;
Phil Alexander – Creative Director, Kerrang!/Contributing Editor, Mojo; Sian Eleri – Broadcaster & DJ;
Will Hodgkinson – Chief Rock & Pop Critic, The Times; and
Sophie Williams – Music Writer & Broadcaster.
The Chair of the judging team is Jeff Smith.

Shortlist:

Barry Can't Swim for ‘When Will We Land?’
BERWYN for ‘Who Am I’
Beth Gibbons for ‘Lives Outgrown’
Cat Burns for ‘early twenties’
Charli xcx for ‘BRAT’
CMAT for ‘Crazymad, for Me’
Corinne Bailey Rae for ‘Black Rainbows’
corto.alto for 'Bad with Names’
English Teacher for ‘This Could Be Texas’
Ghetts for ‘On Purpose, With Purpose’
Nia Archives for 'Silence Is Loud’
The Last Dinner Party for ‘Prelude to Ecstasy’

theres always/usuallly one jazz album on the mercury list, this year its this

its very impressive tbf
" brain-child of award-winning multi-instrumentalist, composer & producer Liam Shortall. Hailing from Glasgow, Scotland, this genre-defying producer brings together influences from Hip-Hop, Broken Beat, Electronica, Dub and Punk with an informed Jazz sensibility.
Liam Shortall is a seasoned instrumentalist and composer in his own write. Having worked as a trombonist in the Scottish National Jazz Orchestra, Tom McGuire & The Brassholes, AKU Trio as well as many other projects. He has also composed, produced and recorded on tracks for Joesef, PYJAEN, The Sound of AJA, Raelle, Cara Rose, Jack Richardson, Fat-Suit and many others. He is the younger ever graduate of the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland's undergraduate Jazz programme, having being enrolled at the age of 16."

the problem with it for me is whats wrong with so much nu-skool GB jazz, is it feels like its come out of a university rather than an alley. but beside that its very original...that bit too studied for me to really connect with.

I've had my eye on English Teacher for a while and am pleased for them :) I assumed Last Dinner Party or Charlie XCX would get it.

Back
Top Bottom