Joy Crookes, "Skin"
Kojey Radical, "Reason to Smile"
Little Simz, "Sometimes I Might Be Introvert"
Nova Twins, "Supernova"
Self Esteem, "Prioritise Pleasure"
Sam Fender, "Seventeen Going Under"
Wet Leg, "Wet Leg"
Yard Act, " The Overload"

I've only heard Wet Leg, and whilst alright it's kind of overshadowed by the lead single.

The Nova Twins sound like they might be worth a try.

I’ve not heard anything by any of them, although I know who Harry Styles is.

It’s not like the 90s - who are the sort of people that know who all these artists are? Are they young people? 50-year old hi-fi geeks?

The Fergus McCreadie album is red hot. Not really fussed about anything else I've heard on the list, but Little Simz will surely win.

Not got the Little Simz record yet but I have her first two which are pretty great. I expect thus is her fifth or something, I really don't keep up.

I’ve not heard anything by any of them, although I know who Harry Styles is.

It’s not like the 90s - who are the sort of people that know who all these artists are? Are they young people? 50-year old hi-fi geeks?
Most of them are MOR radio six acts, with a smattering of stuff for the kids, and a token jazz act.

Other than M People, Primal Scream, Badly Drawn Boy, PJ Harvey and Roni Size I've no idea who the past winners are

Just looking through past winners, I've got Primal Scream, Portishead, Pulp, Gomez, Badly Drawn Boy, both PJ winners, Ms Dynamite and Dizzee, but my interest seemed to halt nearly 2 years ago.

Ms Dynamite was fucking awesome when she was just a garage MC, although that obviously didn't sell much:

I wanted to like Jessie Buckley and Bernard Butler's stuff, but I don't. The singing is overblown and the songs are pretty ordinary.

Out of those, I have heard and enjoyed:
Self-Esteem (my AOTY last year)
Wet Leg
Joy Crookes
Little Simz
Kojey Radical

Haven't heard Gwenno's album yet but I loved her last two. Interested in Buckley/Butler and Nova Twins.

Seems a reasonable list IMO.

Self Esteem had better win! She's ace and amazing live, first saw her at the Electric Brixton ( former Fridge). I doubt she'll be playing there again 😅

I've only heard Wet Leg, and whilst alright it's kind of overshadowed by the lead single.

The Nova Twins sound like they might be worth a try.
I feel I should like the nova twins (on paper) Hell, the bassist even looks like a very young version of me to some extent.....but I've heard it all before and they seem very processed and clean. Plastic punks. As opposed to Bob Vylan who imo are the real deal- DIY and more organic and interesting but sadly not on the short list.

I didn't mind:
Joy Crookes
Gwenno
Kojey Radical

None of it really piqued my interest.
Hated that the Nova Twins wore matching outfits.

I didn't mind:
Joy Crookes
Gwenno
Kojey Radical

None of it really piqued my interest.
Hated that the Nova Twins wore matching outfits.

Yes that's about where i am at. Agree on Nova Twins as well, there's something too surgical about them. Bit by the numbers.

Yard Act were boooooring.

I love Little Simz. Grey Area was a fantastic album.

Also a fan of the control she has over her career, releasing 4 albums on her own label. With her coming from a background of MCing over fairly basic production, I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall in meetings before recording Sometimes I Might Be Introvert.

"Right Simz, same formula as before - stripped back, all about the vocals yeah?"

"Not quite. For the lead single, I want a 36 piece orchestra doing the backings."

"Ummm, wtf? Anything else?"

"Spoken word section to finish. By Lady Di."

Back
Top Bottom