Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Martin Amis

oh shit. RIP. I have enjoyed a few of his novels. I think money might be due a re-read actually.

I thought Times Arrow was great, found Money good but annoying and don't remember much about London Fields.

That's all I've read of him. Still RIP.

I thought Times Arrow was great, found Money good but annoying and don't remember much about London Fields.

That's all I've read of him. Still RIP.

I found London feels quite Waring and depressing. Which I guess was part of the intent. Money is loathsome but again that’s the point I guess. Dead babies and the other one about two brothers, I forget the name, are the others I’ve read.

Completely passed me by despite obviously being aware, was a sort of England that just didn't interest me at all, though of course may have been unfair judged second hand.

I found London feels quite Waring and depressing. Which I guess was part of the intent. Money is loathsome but again that’s the point I guess. Dead babies and the other one about two brothers, I forget the name, are the others I’ve read.
Success.

Time’s Arrow the most successful novel imo. His journalism better.

NB there’s an RIP thread.

Rip, thought his books were excellent and hilarious. Shame about all thr enlightened centrist (i.e. right wing) shit towards the end

Actually this made me a bit sad today. Very important part of my twenties cultural life. Used to love his constantly surprising style. The Amis family make me think of England, too. Not sure why. Felt so uniquely English. One that is long gone, probably for the best. But I felt close to them, they felt familiar, all that shared cultural baggage and mannerisms. RIP Martin Amis

Loved the non fiction one Experience, really humane and funny. Saw him at a reading in the LRB bookshop once, he was small and cool, smoking roll ups as he chatted in the non smoking bookshop.

When I was young I liked the way he took writing seriously and the way he talked about writing and literature, made it glamourous. He mentioned Saul Bellow a lot and was a big fan of his. Prompted me to read ‘Augie March’ years later which I enjoyed hugely. RIP.

Back
Top Bottom