Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Marine vs Dulwich Hamlet, pre-season friendly 13th July 2019

Kit was introduced as an away kit for the Women's team, who did't want to play in all pink. Good idea to use it as Men's 3rd choice, it looks brilliant!

Usually I'd agree, but I actually like the design, so I'll let it slide.. It's a;sp the new away design for the second strip of the Women's side, so we may as well adopt it as a third strip as well. I think the powers that be thought this is a good kit, rather than 'a good opportunity to fleece the fans'...
I wasn't thinking in terms of anyone fleecing our fans. We generally seem to sell our replica shirts at or close to cost price anyway, it's not like a top 6 Premier League club trying to shift hundreds of thousands of them worldwide. If people are gullible enough to buy that purple and orange Manchester City third kit that's basically their problem; my beef it that it lumbers everyone else with seeing their club wearing the "wrong" colours when there's no need to! We already see some of our opponents turning up at Champion Hill in completely random colours when their usual colours don't clash with ours. But as I've already said, at least it's a change kit with pink & blue, and I like the clean and simple design of the new home and away kits too. If I had the spare cash right now I'd be tempted to buy all three.

As someone who spent three years in Liverpool supporting Prescot Cables I wish Marine well but... The late Dave Fry was also a Prescot fan. ( The Marine Chairman in the early 90's was a top bloke, I hope he's still around to enjoy today.)

As an aside I saw Maidstone win the conference at Runcorn. They got a standing ovation from the up platform to Liverpool. Good people at that (reformed) club too.

As someone who spent three years in Liverpool supporting Prescot Cables I wish Marine well but... The late Dave Fry was also a Prescot fan. ( The Marine Chairman in the early 90's was a top bloke, I hope he's still around to enjoy today.)

As an aside I saw Maidstone win the conference at Runcorn. They got a standing ovation from the up platform to Liverpool. Good people at that (reformed) club too.
I just remember growing up there in the 80s, Marine seemed to be always read out on Radio Merseyside on the Saturday. Like, there would be whatever commentary (whichever of Liverpool or the Ev was away) then all the scores across the main divisions, then they’d read out the local non league sides above a certain level. I’m sure others were read out too. But for some reason Marine were always the ones that I listened out for, and in my head their result kind of put the lid on the weekends footie. Though for all that, I’d never been to see them til the Hamlet game.

Marine just beat City of Liverpool 2-0 to win the Liverpool Senior Cup.

They are having another good season. Currently third and would take some serious wheel falling off action to not make the play offs. Likely to have to go through Macclesfield to go to National League North.

Unfortunately there is a strong suspicion any National League North stay will end with enforced relegation at the end of season one, for failing ground grading. It' seems unlikely Marine will be able to hit the minimum capacity required, never mind the clause about being able to show how you can expand substantially beyond the minimum to get to EFL capacity level.

Unfortunately there is a strong suspicion any National League North stay will end with enforced relegation at the end of season one, for failing ground grading. It' seems unlikely Marine will be able to hit the minimum capacity required, never mind the clause about being able to show how you can expand substantially beyond the minimum to get to EFL capacity level.
Ah I didn’t know that. Where will they be short? They seem to have spent the Spurs FA Cup tie run money with a good eye on the future - revenue from new 3G pitch, from upgrading bar/hospitality facilities etc. Maybe there’s more to come? Although I guess that ground is always going to be contained on one side isn’t it…

Ah I didn’t know that. Where will they be short? They seem to have spent the Spurs FA Cup tie run money with a good eye on the future - revenue from new 3G pitch, from upgrading bar/hospitality facilities etc. Maybe there’s more to come? Although I guess that ground is always going to be contained on one side isn’t it…
They would need a capacity of 3,000 by 31st March 2025 (minimum 500 seats) and to demonstrate that a further increase to 4,000 can be achieved in the event of being promoted to the next step. They won't need a capacity beyond 3,000, or to demonstrate an ability to reach minimum Football League requirements, unless they actually get promoted to the National Division.

The major concern is ground capacity. There's a wide variety of capacities listed online, I've seen from.sub 2k up to 2.5k. Obviously it's a tight footprint ground, increasing that to 3k may be challenging, especially if one of the lower capacities is the correct one. Even if they get to 3k, thie bit about a demonstrable ability to expand to 4k looks a big stretch tbh.

I believe they also need to increase the number of seats. Obviously doing so will reduce the current standing capacity.

Being three sided isn't an issue. Ground grading is based on being four sided but three sided grounds are accepted, including in the EFL.

Having lived in Liverpool and visited many times I wish Marine well. They were a very well run club back in my time up north and little appears to have changed. I"m sure they will be well aware of the issue and will have looked into what may be possible already. Still gutted they beat Prescot Cables in the semi final though...

As an aside, I'm hearing strong rumours the move to FA controlled ground grading has uncovered all sorts of issues which certain leagues turned a blind eye to. Some fairly minor but some clubs will be facing real challenges soon, pitches and changing rooms too small etc. Two southern based leagues are among those being widely whispered as on the naughty step right now.

Last edited:
The major concern is ground capacity. There's a wide variety of capacities listed online, I've seen from.sub 2k up to 2.5k. Obviously it's a tight footprint ground, increasing that to 3k may be challenging, especially if one of the lower capacities is the correct one. Even if they get to 3k, thie bit about a demonstrable ability to expand to 4k looks a big stretch tbh.

I believe they also need to increase the number of seats. Obviously doing so will reduce the current standing capacity.
Minimum capacity for their current level is 1,950 so they must have at least that figure. Presumably there's a logical reason it's not a round 2,000.

I remember going to the old Grays Athletic ground for a National Division match shortly before they vacated it and being amazed at what they'd managed to shoehorn into it since my previous visit. This was an old amateur ground where bits had been sold off for redevelopment, resulting in a block of flats along one side with just a pathway in front (dressing rooms and tea bar in the ground floor) and an indoor ball court behind one goal, meaning half of that end also had just a pathway between a building and the pitch. Lowestoft is another very tight ground with just a narrow pathway around the whole of one side and most of one end, and they managed to tick the boxes for 3 seasons in National North.

Marine were NPL champions at least once in the days when promotion from that league (and the Isthmian and Southern Leagues) was directly into what is now the National Division, but they were refused admission due to the ground, although the criteria and timescales for meeting them were different in those days.

Marine paying transfer fees now…!
He joined Rylands last summer and turned 24 in February, so he must have already been under contract for next season. I'd say it's equally notable that a club like Rylands is offering players multi-year contracts. Of course Marine beat Rylands in this year's play-offs.

Back
Top Bottom