Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Maoists in Brixton

On the Chinese/Commune theme and co-incidentally with our beloved leader’s visit to Bejing, I noticed this page on the newsletter of the Mosaic Clubhouse 65 Effra Road SW2. Seems there is a branch in Chengdu, PRC. Mental health sans frontières!
Hope Clubhouse.jpg

so what happened to comrade bala? are we still waiting to hear if there was actually any offense committed, or have i missed something?

so what happened to comrade bala? are we still waiting to hear if there was actually any offense committed, or have i missed something?

Good point. Cops did promise us a long and complex investigation, they might even get a trip to Beijing out of it

Apologies for the Torygraph link - I read the comments section for the lols:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11117996/Suspect-in-Marxist-slave-case-released-without-charge.html

A woman arrested last year on suspicion of holding three people as “slaves” within a Marxist cult for more than 30 years, has been released without charge, Scotland Yard have said.

Chanda Pattni, 67, who was detained along with her husband Aravindan Balakrishnan, had been questioned in connection with allegations that the couple held three women in domestic servitude at a house in south London.

Mr Balakrishnan, 73, who was further arrested on suspicion of serious sexual offences, has been re-bailed to a date in mid-December,

Reactions: CH1
Apologies for the Torygraph link - I read the comments section for the lols:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11117996/Suspect-in-Marxist-slave-case-released-without-charge.html

A woman arrested last year on suspicion of holding three people as “slaves” within a Marxist cult for more than 30 years, has been released without charge, Scotland Yard have said.

Chanda Pattni, 67, who was detained along with her husband Aravindan Balakrishnan, had been questioned in connection with allegations that the couple held three women in domestic servitude at a house in south London.

Mr Balakrishnan, 73, who was further arrested on suspicion of serious sexual offences, has been re-bailed to a date in mid-December,

I like theTelegraph

Fuckwits.

And this at end of article:

It subsequently emerged that the couple had run an extreme Maoist collective at their south London home, but there was no suggestion the members were physically held against their will.

So it was hyped up media news reporting. And the police getting over excited.

Now its sexual offences they are trying to pin on one of them.

And this at end of article:
So it was hyped up media news reporting. And the police getting over excited.
Now its sexual offences they are trying to pin on one of them.
I'm sure the media hyped it up - particularly Channel 4 News (it was very much one of their type of stories) and the Daily Mail.

However I think the police do have a duty to investigate situations of apparent domestic coercion, if a compliant is made.

There are parallels with domestic violence and there have also been cases over recent years of forced labour using people with learning difficulties for farm/building work.

Of course if it turned out that a complainant had been forced unwillingly into a sexual situation it would be on a par with the current run of highly publicised sex abuse cases - or worse, in that the complainant might have been trapped in the abusive situation.

The collective's address is still Sitexed after 10 months.

Does this reflect their "right to return" or is it sheer bloody inefficiency on behalf of Metropolitan Housing Trust - whose property it is?

nice place.jpg collective.jpg

the former. if MHT get rid of their property without good reason (and being held in prison isn't necessarily enough) they can be sued for lots and lots of money. the property may have been sitexed by agreement with the tenant as well, expecially if there is no issue about rent payment because it comes out of a bank account or the HB is being paid.

Has Khamsa closed down then? Haven't been past there in a while

I don't think so. I've certainly seen that the owners around while the work is being carried out.

Unfortunately the nice old signage in the Editor's article was covered up again today. Don't know if this is permanent.

Wasn't there some sort of Che Guevara mural on the (rounded) corner of the building. Seem to distantly recall. Surely there must be a pic somewhere?

From what I can recall it was a beautifully painted portrait of Mao with sun rays behind him, all in red, black and white. It stood out to say the least. When the Maoists moved out, Mao's face was painted over but it was still there for some years after that.

The last sentence of the report in the Standard online is a masterpiece:

"He denied ever being cruel to his daughter and claimed that, like her, he had not been to a doctor or a dentist in the last 50 years and had removed his own teeth."

The upside: 'The Workers’ Institute of Marxism–Leninism–Mao Zedong Thought' would never be able to afford the rent here now.

Guilty. 23 years.
Do you think Metropolitan will save his Peckford Place flat for him?
It has been boarded up with Sitex ever since the case started, and the court give his address as Enfield these days.

This charming programme on Radio 4 about "The Little Red Book" fascinated me - not least because it featured Linda Bellos (leader of Lambeth Council immediately following "Red Ted" Knight).

Red Linda confessed that she had been the proud owner of the Little Red Book as a fashion accessory - but felt its contents were less than memorable (she did know some extracts of Karl Marx by heart she said).
Mao's Little Red Book Goes West - BBC Radio 4

What sealed her fate as a woman much to be admired (by me) was when she confessed to having given up Maoism for the seductive music of Richard Wagner.
little red book.jpg.jpeg

What sealed her fate as a woman much to be admired (by me) was when she confessed to having given up Maoism for the seductive music of Richard Wagner.

The 40 years of sleeper activity by the Lambeth Wagner Appreciation Circle to infiltrate all the major political parties of the Borough is far more insidious than any Maoist, CPGB, Militant, Compass, Progress, Momentum or Liberal Democrat Friends of Cake networks that have been exposed.

Reactions: CH1
Got the most barking leaflet about this on palestine march today. Apparently British state had it in for him since 1976 as he said UK fascist, imperialist and integral part of NATO. Will post pics later

Possibly the same one I saw in draft form last year, written by one of his followers. Was it also full of stuff about how The Comrade was innocent, and those that accused him were bribed by...well, just about anyone who had it in for The Comrade?

Back
Top Bottom