Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Man’s house sold without his knowledge by ID theft fraudsters

Solicitors, as I understand it, are professionally liable in a way that their minions will not be. It will be the practice that pays out, though I imagine there may be implications for the hypothetical minion's future career...
My sister is a non-practicing solicitor but previously worked in private practice. I asked her if she'd be doing her own conveyancing when she bought a place and she said there's no way she'd touch it as she didn't have insurance. (And her sale was really straightforward too as she'd been renting the place for a few years.)

My sister is a non-practicing solicitor but previously worked in private practice. I asked her if she'd be doing her own conveyancing when she bought a place and she said there's no way she'd touch it as she didn't have insurance. (And her sale was really straightforward too as she'd been renting the place for a few years.)
She's right. They always used to say that a solicitor who acts for him/herself has a fool for a client.

Reactions: Sue
doesn't necessarily have someone who charges £125/hour for access to Great British Justice though :)

Potentially the solicitor in on it too?

Doubtful.

It's certainly possible, I knew a process server that once had to serve papers on a [former] solicitor, locked up in Bristol prison after his criminal conviction for mortgage fraud, the papers were concerning the civil case.

They may be in on it or may just have been duped. It's doubtful they were in on it as the people involved are unlikely to agree to throw away their careers and livelihood for a share of £130k.

It certainly would be odd for an actual solicitor to get involved with that amount, the case I mentioned above was certainly for over £500k and 20 years ago too, but I guess it could be a member of staff in the solicitors' office, i.e. paid or blackmailed to do something like this on purpose -

accepted a photocopy/faxed copy of a passport/driving licence without insisting on seeing the original. The SRA will rightly be hard on them

Yeah, the mortgage fraudsters tended to be serial offenders that take a huge sum and can take years to be found out, whereas this is small potatoes and high risk, not worth losing one's practising certificate for.

A friend's solicitor got done for fraud for not paying his stamp duty to HMRC. The first he knew about it was when he got a stern letter from HMRC saying he hadn't paid it and that he owed them money with a fine on top. He could prove he'd paid it to the solicitor -- who it turned out had done the same to various other clients too -- but he was a bit 😱 for a while. (No idea what the story was with the solicitor as they were obviously going to get caught.)

A friend's solicitor got done for fraud for not paying his stamp duty to HMRC. The first he knew about it was when he got a stern letter from HMRC saying he hadn't paid it and that he owed them money with a fine on top. He could prove he'd paid it to the solicitor -- who it turned out had done the same to various other clients too -- but he was a bit 😱 for a while. (No idea what the story was with the solicitor as they were obviously going to get caught.)
That sounds like someone who'd been draining his client account for a long time until it caught up with him. :(

That sounds like someone who'd been draining his client account for a long time until it caught up with him. :(
Yeah, there was obviously whatever behind it as it was clear they'd get caught. My friend had HMRC on his back and it was all very stressful but then the police/Law Society whatever got involved and it got resolved (I'm guessing from the solicitor's insurance?)

In my f-i-l case the family has owned the house over 100 years, so I guess there'll need to be a bit of a work around, and it's in Scotland.

Gives me something to do today.
Check out the equivalent of the Land Registry in Scotland to see if they offer a similar service.

Back
Top Bottom