Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

'Magical' films for grown ups

Lord Camomile

Yipchaa!
This time of year if a film isn't outright about Christmas there's a good chance it'll have a magic/fantasy element. Case in point, I've just flicked from The Spiderwick Chronicles to (the fifth?) Harry Potter.

Obviously if a film is made well, adults can also enjoy a film that was primarily aimed at kids, but it got me thinking about what films there are that have the same 'magical' quality but are aimed at adults.

All my initial thoughts were of films that are probably more dark fantasy than magical.

Is magic and wonder just something you grow out of?

It's got magic in, but it's not really magical in the same way the kids films are, is it? I mean, I haven't actually seen it, but it's certainly not the impression I got.

Edward Scissorhands might be something approaching what I mean. It doesn't have magic in it and obviously has its dark moments, but there's also a certain sense of fantastical wonder to it. And snow.

The LotR/Hobbit films would be an obvious shout I guess. They're more family films than films for adults, but they're clearly not aimed solely at kids.

Aha, yes, that's more like it! That reminds me of a lot of other films that don't really match up to Amelie; I suppose there's a danger of it rapidly becoming twee.
Pan's Labyrinth.
Dark fantasy. Though does put me in a mind to watch it again :D
Spirited Away? or My Neighbour Totoro?
Yeah, Ghibli in general I think (not all of them, obviously, but a large portion).

Life of Pi?

White Christmas....packed with jazz standards, brilliant script. Yeh she gets the wrong end of the stick but its not schmaltzy. Amazing film

There should probably be a wink smiley there, but I frown on the wink smiley.

Back
Top Bottom