Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mac laptop ethernet adaptor works...but not with a usbc cable?

Piers Gibbon

I am using my old apple Ethernet to USB adaptor with my new apple laptop (which only has USBc)...it works great!

So I use an ethernet cable to connect to the router, plug that in to the apple adaptor...and then into my new apple laptop (using yet another convertor to change it to USBc!). That all works perfectly!

Sooooo for travelling.... I thought I could save the hassle of taking a super long Ethernet to Ethernet cable....and use a USBc female to USBc female adaptor...which means I could then use the super long USBc cable that I already have with me anyway

And everything does work....until I use the extra adaptor and my extra long USBc cable. Then I get the message on System Preferences that my cable is probably unplugged. I have tried a few different cables and adaptors, same result.

Soooo any ideas why a long USBc to USBc cable doesn't er carry the ethernet signal? I thought that it would work because the adaptor kinda already "steps it down" to USBc in order to plug it in to the new laptop, no?

I was hoping not to buy any more cables and adaptors....but if they sell this Ethernet to USBc female...then presumably my original idea was workable?

Short story is that "USB C" is a massive tangle of standards. Just because a cable has the right size sockets/plugs and says "USB C" on the box doesn't mean it will do everything.

Could also be something as simple as the adapter not working over long cable lengths.

A new USB C adapter is probably the best way to fix this.

Many thanks Crispy!

So yeah that does make sense....I guess I try that new Ethernet to USBc female adaptor.....and hopefully my existing high quality long usbc cable will do the trick (no guarantees obvs)...thank you for helping my sanity

ahhh thanks Pseudo....and that does look like you have a loooooong usbc cable attached to it as well which makes me optimistic..cheers

Ahhh...yeah ok usbc does seem to be a hot mess...I bought this ethernet to usb c female adaptor...it doesn't work with my looooong expensive usbc cable into my mac...but it DOES work with a shorter cheaper usbc cable that came with something else!

So...maybe it is the length of the loooong cable....

Anyway thanks everyone....hey pseudonarcissus do you have a really impressive long one?

And I can confirm that the length of the ethernet cable is immaterial...it still works with a 15 metre ethernet cable!

It would be nice if I could get it working with a short ethernet and a looooong usbc...that's my aim

I can also confirm that the fault definitely lies with the expensive long usb c cable....I have now got it working using a short ethernet cable...the adaptor from amazon....and an absurd collection of looong usb old style cables and extenders cobbled together with er four adaptors...so it was not the length but the quality of the orginal long cable

And I can confirm that the length of the ethernet cable is immaterial...it still works with a 15 metre ethernet cable!

It would be nice if I could get it working with a short ethernet and a looooong usbc...that's my aim
I use a 30m ethernet cable from the computer room to the garden. Works well.

I can also confirm that the fault definitely lies with the expensive long usb c cable....I have now got it working using a short ethernet cable...the adaptor from amazon....and an absurd collection of looong usb old style cables and extenders cobbled together with er four adaptors...so it was not the length but the quality of the orginal long cable

I'm surprised that you have got to the age you are without a. realising that everything associated with computers is sentient, and b. this sentience is malevolent.

Amazing how often things start working as you are aiming them towards the bin. :D

I'm surprised that you have got to the age you are without a. realising that everything associated with computers is sentient, and b. this sentience is malevolent.

Amazing how often things start working as you are aiming them towards the bin. :D
TBF, I think that is only an age thing inasmuch as our earlier experiences of computers LOOKED like that. Now that they are so much more complex, they're less sentient :D

Back
Top Bottom