Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lonely post about music thread

My upstairs neighbour is playing Roy Orbison.

I‘m really enjoying it. I know and like the songs, it’s loud enough for me to hear it but not loud enough to intrude. I’m enjoying knowing that my neighbour likes Roy Orbison, and that they are enjoying listening to music. I can hear the rain, the traffic, my cat puttering about, and Roy Orbison singing upstairs. It feels a bit like a poem, all this.

I have found a kit/sounds in my drum module that really help with the beat I’m learning. I can play it ok but just not particularly fast and am still a bit clunky. Definitely improving though.
It’s the double sixteenth kick that I find most tricky.

My upstairs neighbour is playing Roy Orbison.

I‘m really enjoying it. I know and like the songs, it’s loud enough for me to hear it but not loud enough to intrude. I’m enjoying knowing that my neighbour likes Roy Orbison, and that they are enjoying listening to music. I can hear the rain, the traffic, my cat puttering about, and Roy Orbison singing upstairs. It feels a bit like a poem, all this.
A few times over the summer I was sat out in the back garden and really enjoyed my neighbour's choices of music, iirc Edge of Seventeen and the Cocteau Twins featured.

All my neighbours bar one play good music.

The one exception was a family on the estate who had a hooray for Brexit party with exactly the kind of shit music you would predict, and which I don’t care to recall for fear of earworms and worse. Thankfully they’ve not done it since.

Other than that, I live close to where Drill music is made, so there‘s some of that; there’s a couple of radio DJs who play out their bedroom windows from time to time; a regular block party that plays excellent R&B garage etc with more rootsy stuff later in the night; upstairs neighbour who plays C&W, Reggae, Dancehall, and everything that extends from that; nearby pub has the occasional karaoke (some good, some dreadful but yunnow it’s one song then on) , Black Elvis, a reggae night; Portuguese family on the estate has family dos with live and recorded Portuguese music of many kinda; other neighbours play decent 60s and 70s Americana…

I’m very lucky.

Had some folks back after a gig one night, we sat in the garden til dawn. A couple of them were much younger and they got a coke delivery then started coked-up-drunk- DJ-ing with my Spotify, playing half an eighties song then arguing to shove on the next one before it had finished. Bloody horrible. I tried to stop them but arguing with coked up drink youngsters….. Around breakfast time, after they’d gone, I shouted out a general apology to the neighbourhood and got a call back “that’s okay!”

Last edited:

Looking forward to hearing these, did love Velvet Underground and Nico: special album.
Opera Snapshot_2022-09-06_201707_www.theguardian.com.png

making cassette revival feel mainstream as seems theres stuff coming out on 8 track now ! 35$

so heres the opener
its a cool coutryfide version
but my god that is the worst harmonica playing i have ever heard
more terrible harmonica on track 2 too!

interesting listening though
once will be enough

Last edited:
I've seen the occasional 8-track release from time to time for years - the big (for certain values of big) format revival of the moment is minidisc...

Well anyway. I think Bobby McFerrin's Don't Worry Be Happy comes from a dark place. It perhaps has this reputation as a song that's relentlessly upbeat whatever you might be feeling. Enforced happiness. But I hear a lot of sadness in it. I think it's fantastic.

Also when people are angry (seems to happen wherever I go) it really tips them over the edge if you sing it to them. 👍
have you seen the video? enough to make anyone punchy

ive had a look online for what minidisc player i had a
was cool .... got it free as it was getting thrown out of a studio, probalby about 1999 I reckon.
it was a DENON DN-1100R "Professional" recorder
Long gone now - it broke and i chucked it- but heres a pic of the model
IMG_20200730_112915.jpg

I did record a few radio shows on it
but the best thing about this minidisc player are the big buttons on the front, 1 to 10.
What you could do is preload the first 10 tracks to the first 10 buttons.
What that meant was as soon as you pressed whatever button it would play that track immediately.
I think the designed use was for radio as they need their tracks to start bang on... I made up a minidisc with 10 samples and used it to trigger samples whilst DJing.

FASCINATING POST ;)

I've never seen an 8-track player outside of 70s/70s set US film & TV. They're so remote from me they might as well be fictional. Though I did see a pile of 8- track cartridges at a boot fair once, so I can reassure myself they are actually a thing.

A friend had a minidisc player in the early 00s. She swore it was the best thing ever. Then MP3s happened before they’d taken off and they went the way of Betamax.

Then MP3s happened before they’d taken off and they went the way of Betamax.
as with betamax they had a niche use for quite a few more years - journalists used portable md recorders to record interviews for ages after they'd stopped being used by the general public

I've never seen an 8-track player outside of 70s/70s set US film & TV. They're so remote from me they might as well be fictional. Though I did see a pile of 8- track cartridges at a boot fair once, so I can reassure myself they are actually a thing.
yeah i bought an 8 track and some carts at a bootsale for sod all money years ago
reader, it didnt work :D

A friend had a minidisc player in the early 00s. She swore it was the best thing ever. Then MP3s happened before they’d taken off and they went the way of Betamax.
They certainly existed over here. Vicky Richardson’s dad had one in his broken down Jag, on their driveway. We listened to it while I snogged Nicola Hoskins in the back.

My B-i-L has a minidisc player he still uses. I don't think he buys a lot of minidiscs now, but he has a good size collection.

I wish I’d been aware of the song “Nathan Jones” at school. I’d have loved singing it to a kid in my class called Nathan Holmes :D

We did however sing the only fools and horses theme tune to a lad called John Sullivan.

Started writing this on the "say you've been on the internet too long" thread but it might as well go here: When I was in sixth form and my family just had dial-up, I had one mate who had broadband and he had a thing going where if you paid him a quid he'd go on soulseek or napster or whatever and burn you a copy of an album. But he was quite opinionated so rather than it being the full album with the normal tracklist, he'd listen to it first and refuse to burn any songs he thought were too shit. There's quite a few albums I think of myself as having listened to loads as a teenager, but I never actually listened to the normal version, I only know my mate's CD-R version, so I sometimes get the experience of returning to old favourites of my youth, and get to learn the extra forbidden songs I never heard as a young'un.

With songs I often want to vibe to the tune and the realisation that the song is about something feels like an imposition. I remember hearing John Denver's Annie's Song as a child and I felt it expressed a certain sense of determination and it fascinated me. Now that I'm older and I listen to the words as well it seems particularly odd that it's a love song. The more I think about it the reverse problem where I wish the lyrics had found a different musical form is also a problem and I'm thinking about musicals.

Listening to Pierrot Lunaire right now and the thing that feels mature if difficult is that it's conversational. It directly expresses what it is saying. Unfiltered by anything that tries to catch your ear yet strangely musical at the same time. I'm not sure what Schoenberg was going for exactly but I like that it's a half-sung half-spoken almost cabaret style. I certainly don't hear it as "random" or anything like that, it feels like I'm being talked to directly and that's actually really intense.

Sometimes a song written in "normal" tonal language hits the spot and it feels like something magical. But even a great song like Annie's Song is off the mark for me. A vast quantity of music is chasing this tonally based song dream, but I wish the writers wouldn't keep trying. It's a musical form that's not likely to land properly, even if the vibe is there, the expressive qualities probably aren't.

I think this is why a lot of people dislike musicals, the expressive nature of theatre or cinema gets interrupted by a less expressive format. A musical that uses the songs from Pierrot Lunaire would be alienating for many but I submit that the songs would not feel like an interruption.

The other alternative to the usual range of song writing tactics is to go in the opposite direction are the folk traditions of singing over drones ie. hyper tonality. I find this very expressive as well, freed from the distraction of song form mechanics. But again this is not a direction most song writers go in (although some certainly do!). Too much sugar in the rise and fall and tension and release of chord progressions.

I did my usual waking up far too early act at 5AM today. Bored as fuck I put The Clash on full blast with my headphones on. After blasting out "know your rights" "The Clampdown" and 'The Guns of Brixton" I realised that I had forgotten to mute the speakers first. So all my neighbours got to hear that at 5AM lol

Quite ironic seeing as an undercover police flat is two flats away from me.

I hope that they got the message!

Right when I first getting into music as a young teen, I got a compilation that included Stranded in the Jungle by the Voodoo Glow Skulls. I always assumed the song was by them, and it was only this week that I learned what I always thought was a song by a ska-punk band from the late 90s was in fact actually a cover of a doo-wop hit from 1956:

lonely post....

I found strongboi a little while back (Alice Pheobe Lou on vocals) and was just blown away by the energy and the groove. And I can't for the life of me understand why they're so underexposed. And I just wanted to share that. The yamaha keyboard in this video was also the first one I ever owned as a child and I spent over 20 years using it, eventually through MIDI and Reason/Cubase so it holds a certain nostalgia for me...

I actually like jazz, hearing it live. Not enough to go and see often but I do. But yet things I listen to at home I can’t get away from the minor key go to the third of the fifth et cetera. Even when trying to make my own stuff. I feel melodically limited. The chaos of jazz the bubbliness, for want of a better word, is something I really lik. To use it as a counterpoint. I mean this song yeah is the most commercial album but this still gives me chills down the spine. in terms of the whole minor key thing though.

Also,

Blue (remember them?) recently played the London Palladium. I know this because I was on Argyll Street and Grt Marlborough Street at lunchtime and all the stage door jennies were there, taking photos of the photos of the band on the outside of the building and hanging around by the stage door.

I didn’t realise they were still playing. They did three nights at the Palladium. It’s a pretty big tour, you can still catch them through May.

I honestly can’t remember their hits but this is a greatest hits tour so I guess they had some.

Last edited:
have you seen the video? enough to make anyone punchy

A friend took me to see him play when that song first came out. So I had the unpleasant experience of hating it immediately, and also immediately recognising that it was going to be a huge fucking hit. We saw him in the States so I had a little while of hoping and hoping that the gap between it going big over there, and arriving over here, would extend to it not becoming a big hit here. So that kinda fearful worried anticipation is now all intrinsically tied up with the song for me, as well as the heartsink of it on the radio and realising I would be hearing it everywhere, for a really long time.

Thought about starting a thread for this, but it's probably a bit too flimsy for an actual thread, reckon a post on here will do fine: just saw something about popular experimental metallers The Body playing at a venue in San Francisco called Bottom of the Hill. Has anyone else ever seen a band/venue combo that looked like a horror film title, or indeed any other kind of noteworthy phrase, or is it just The Body at the Bottom of the Hill?

Thought about starting a thread for this, but it's probably a bit too flimsy for an actual thread, reckon a post on here will do fine: just saw something about popular experimental metallers The Body playing at a venue in San Francisco called Bottom of the Hill. Has anyone else ever seen a band/venue combo that looked like a horror film title, or indeed any other kind of noteworthy phrase, or is it just The Body at the Bottom of the Hill?
I once saw a metal band (during the NWOBHM) called Outrageous Haemorrhoids, at a venue called the Clansman (which I’ve mentioned on the boards before).

The venue was Jacobite Uprising themed and had crossed fake claymores and targes on the walls. The band had an exploding toilet on stage. (Well, a toilet rigged with flash pots and dry ice).

During the gig a fight broke out and a riot ensued. People were ripping the claymores off the walls. The gig venue was upstairs and people were stealing the swords and hiding them down their trousers, trying to get down the stairs straight-legged. It was a night to remember.

The venue is a Chinese restaurant now.

So yeah. Outrageous Haemorrhoids in the Clansman.

Back
Top Bottom