Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London: the unlockening/relockening

Thanks - that’s reassuring.

The end carriages are nearly always much quieter than the middle carriages so it usually pays to walk to one end of the platform (there are exceptions with certain stations) and they are frequent enough that if it looks too busy just wait for the next train.

This is what I did before covid anyway and certainly do now.

Don't forget the Tfl bike hire option as a genuinely covid-safe way to get around the parts of London that it covers. In central London often quicker than the tube anyway, and at the moment roads inside the congestion charge zone are mostly a lot quieter than usual.

Don't forget the Tfl bike hire option as a genuinely covid-safe way to get around the parts of London that it covers. In central London often quicker than the tube anyway, and at the moment roads inside the congestion charge zone are mostly a lot quieter than usual.
Not going to work for me given where I need to go. Good idea though.

Just booked a trip to London - train tickets were only an extra £9 for first class so have booked that on the hope of more space and less people close to me.

Will do a museum or two and see some friends. Not sure I can dodge the tube though.
Enjoy. I've found it pretty empty around the places I have been to.
As a local, I rarely ever use the tube. I would normally walk or use buses. You can use this and tell it avoid tube if you want to Keeping London moving

I was in Kings Cross this morning , apart from a few depressed England fans heading back up north , it was fairly quiet outside the station.

We walked right past where sports pages used to be and said how we missed it. The art shops are getting priced out of the area. All the tech shops in Tottenham Court Road where you negotiated your own price have all gone. Even the decent end of Oxford Street is being filled with shitty tourist shops now :(

All the tech shops in Tottenham Court Road where you negotiated your own price have all gone.
They've been on their way out for a while, there were only a couple left even pre-pandemic. The internet killed them. It's just like any other street now :(

The best place I know these days of is Queensway Market (Home) which is seriously like something out of a cyberpunk novel. The people on the stalls there know their shit.

We walked right past where sports pages used to be and said how we missed it. The art shops are getting priced out of the area. All the tech shops in Tottenham Court Road where you negotiated your own price have all gone. Even the decent end of Oxford Street is being filled with shitty tourist shops now :(
A friend of mine bought an expensive stereo from one of those shops about 20 odd years ago, he brought about a grand in cash in preparation for the #haggle - showed them his wad, bought the thing - took it home - and realised he still had the cash in his shirt pocket :D

Got a bus earlier for the first time in a while. Half the top deck was maskless -- apart from one woman, all men. Definitely much worse than the last time I was on a bus.

I was hoping to get a bus from Waterloo to Wood Green to avoid the tube next week but I’m not sure I feel comfortable now. Maybe an Uber is best but that’s so expensive

it's wicked. and so strange that it is where it is.
there used to be a Brazilian restaurant upstairs where you paid by weight.
"I would like to get the screen replaced on my Macbook, and while I wait I think I may get my nails done and also have tea from a samovar"

I was hoping to get a bus from Waterloo to Wood Green to avoid the tube next week but I’m not sure I feel comfortable now. Maybe an Uber is best but that’s so expensive
I don't think there's a reason to assume bus is better than tube. They possibly achieve similar rates of ventilation and tube is usually a lot faster which means you'll be sat on it for less time for a given length of journey.

The 243? The bus I was on is on part of that route. It may depend on the time of day (this was about 630).

tube is usually a lot faster which means you'll be sat on it for less time for a given length of journey
This is my general method of risk estimation off peak - ventilation is poor on both so spend the least time possible travelling.

Tube can be much more packed on-peak though.

:(
I may have to take the tube then. It may be normal for Londoners now due to taking it every day but it fills me with apprehension. I assumed I could have the windows open on bus and it wouldn’t be crowded but perhaps I’m being naive

thank you all, appreciate your honesty

I may have to take the tube then. It may be normal for Londoners now due to taking it every day but it fills me with apprehension. I assumed I could have the windows open on bus and it wouldn’t be crowded but perhaps I’m being naive

at least you'll end up in Wood Green which is wicked.

If you'd feel more comfortable above ground you could get a train from Blackfriars to Finsbury park I think then it's a shorter tube or bus up.

Back
Top Bottom