Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London pirate radio - news and discussion

What apps are people using? I have TuneIn which used to be great, but has got increasingly more crap over the years. And it irritates me with its pre-roll ads and trying to upsell premium. I use Radio Garden quite a lot and I like it except I have to use a VPN to listen to any station outside the UK.

TuneIn is dead...Im using Simple Radio on my phone but its shit as has too many adverts...I keep meaning to change it but am lazy. I forget what i have on my laptop. Steph recommends Online Radio Box. Heres Stephs list btw
suckers never play me.jpg

as it happens just got this email
02d951cc-f2c9-f251-0587-b69ecf601cb4.png
not sure if this link will work but theyre giving away tons of free tickets for this - i just got one

Uploaded yesterday to YouTube by amfmldn (audio only)

"The story of London's dance music pirate radio stations, from 1980 to 1989. Tracing the history of the broadcasters through clips, music and contemporary news reports and interviews. From Radio Invicta and DBC, to JFM, Horizon and LWR, onto Kiss-FM and Starpoint before finishing the story with Centreforce and Fantasy-FM."

1 hour 55 minutes. Many other videos on London landbased pirate radio on this channel.

Not a Pirate Station anymore as they now have a Community License but look what happened to Select Radio's transmitter in the high wind on Tuesday :eek: the whole roof of the building blew off, no one hurt luckily - Fire Brigade in attendance.
FB_IMG_1704394398576.jpg

Nice house music station this, is in the apps too, looks like they've got Lenny Fontana and Graeme Parkes on the rota

Any other recommendations for house and especially garage stations?
Other than House FM .Net

Nice house music station this, is in the apps too, looks like they've got Lenny Fontana and Graeme Parkes on the rota
[URL
Any other recommendations for house and especially garage stations?
Other than House FM .Net
I listen to digitalsouldradio.com (99.3FM), but it's more house than garage. Flex FM 101.4 too, but it gets on my wick after too long. Obvious Centreforce too, depending on what show.

flashbacks to Girls FM and now I am going to have to put some time aside to rummage through tapes to find my recordings of the station.
"Sounds of the Huckleberry Finn on the 106.6"
I've also got a handful of cassettes I listen to from those days - Girls, Don FM, etc Wish I had the knowledge and time to digitise them all, then get rid of the tapes, and cassette deck 😁

The Heart FM here was a short-lived pirate btw, not the celebrity wankfest station of today.
17064760845536113236693498670908.jpg

Wish I had the knowledge and time to digitise them all
Lot videos on YouTube on how to. Bin the tapes after nooooo.

I got couple of Girls FM tapes, think the on SoundCloud. Some Justin Robinson mix.

Been playing Smooth Chill not bad Ambient

Last edited:
Gilles Peterson was appealing to anyone who might have a recording of his first ever show on Invicta FM the other day. Long shot of course but in case anyone who knows of a source.

I listen to digitalsouldradio.com (99.3FM), but it's more house than garage. Flex FM 101.4 too, but it gets on my wick after too long. Obvious Centreforce too, depending on what show.

"Sounds of the Huckleberry Finn on the 106.6"
I've also got a handful of cassettes I listen to from those days - Girls, Don FM, etc Wish I had the knowledge and time to digitise them all, then get rid of the tapes, and cassette deck 😁

The Heart FM here was a short-lived pirate btw, not the celebrity wankfest station of today.
View attachment 410031
Id be up for ripping those tapes for you

Dont think Ive mentioned it on this thread but this station is The One for modern rasta roots, digi and classics
based in london i gather but its a got selectors from europe and usa on it
exceptionally high standard of radio in both presenting and music quality (if you like that kind of thing)
streaming only, from the site and on most of the radio apps from what I can tell (but in fact can be a bit harder to find than some other stations)

This could be interesting? Just popped up on the Jazz Cafe’s instagram

Last edited:
hadn't come across this website before, includes loads of tape rips from loads of "rarer" stations, across Britain

Where Do You Want To Go?​

Please choose your area of the country to view the available stations.

Thanks for that link.

There's a guy in Eastbourne I used to know, he started South Coast Radio in Eastbourne back in the late 70s, which was on AM, and where I got caught on site once, and ended up in court. The name changed to Radio Sovereign when it switched to FM, and I came close to getting caught during a raid on the hilltop transmitter site, I drove past what were then GPO guys, and we all waved as they watched us drive off. The following week The Beatles' 'Fool on the Hill' was played for 'John Ridd from the GPO, who we had a close encounter with last Sunday evening.' :D

What I didn't know was that he was still at it in the late 80s, as I was living in Ireland or Somerset during those years, but ABC Radio in Eastbourne is listed on that site, and my old mate Ian (on-air Andy Ellis) was still winding up what were now DTI guys, from the press cutting below, they spotted they were about to be raided, switched off the transmitter. "Then we packed everything into a wheelbarrow and just pushed the gear away. We were all wearing balaclavas, so they could not see our faces. We walked past them, told them that one day they would get us, and said good night." :D

Also listed is my old mate Simon from Sevenoaks (on-air Stuart Clarke), it was him that called me and offered me a job at ABC Radio in Tramore, Ireland, back in the early 80s, which was the start of my adventures in full-time radio in Ireland. I assume that connection was the reason Ian decided to use the ABC name in Eastbourne.

ABC Radio were a regular station on the South Coast in the mid 80s. Despite only operating for a few hours at weekends, they had many problems from the DTI, sometimes being raided every week. They even had their P.O. Box closed down!

Perhaps it was the fact that, although only using modest transmitter power, they often put the transmitter on very high ground meaning they covered a huge area, sometimes reaching London and the French coast! They also had links with other pirate stations with many DJs going onto The Voice Of Peace and Radio Caroline.

Occasional presenter Stuart Clarke had been involved in many earlier stations such as Radio Zodiac and Radio Mercury on short wave, and the original ABC radio of the early 80s. He was also a founder member of ABC Radio in Tramore Southern Ireland. Other DJs included Andy Ellis, Mike Williams, Paul Davis, Simon West, Howard Peters, Pat Brooks, Gary Oliver, Barry Grahame and Mike The Bike.

By 1988, due to DTI pressure, the station reduced its broadcasts to special events and then made its last broadcast on New Years Eve 1988. Some of the presenters were later heard on Coast FM.

The Coast FM mentioned there was a full-time English language station that used to transmit from France into Kent & Sussex coastal towns.

1c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom