Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London pirate radio - news and discussion

21753248_506310789724072_5548926271793560714_o.jpg

was great.

The Last Pirates: Britain's Rebel DJs

As its fairly rare - ie the only copy I have ever actually laid eyes on was the one bought
WTF did you get it?
Tis a place I obv must live.....

Ringo employs a team of street urchins to immediately check every shop in London for tunes he wants.

Ringo employs a team of street urchins to immediately check every shop in London for tunes he wants.[/QUOTE

Stuns me
It took me time to get me mits on even within 2 weeks of release - had to book and wait so arsh was the contest to get the tune
Perhaps over time peeps have dies and now it more free...
Lets see if he can find his first tune - couldn't get the mits on even weeks after its rather
small release

Sounds call, - Steppin on a 2B bus

All garage, all grime, not jus u ragamuffin posse, owe dues, got me off to Ibeefa in 96 and 97 wiv a box of jumpin garage tunes - could I get work with that , fuck off they was so pilled out all they wanted was Euro-techno tosh, fuck em
Dropped this round the corner from the sunset strip - got sacked for " playing shit"
Fuck em, they made most o they wedge from pill sales, bet its still true:(:cool:

Stuns me
It took me time to get me mits on even within 2 weeks of release - had to book and wait so arsh was the contest to get the tune
Perhaps over time peeps have dies and now it more free...
Lets see if he can find his first tune - couldn't get the mits on even weeks after its rather
small release

Sounds call, - Steppin on a 2B bus
So many tunes I never found doing the rounds of the shops in the week or two after a big release :)
There was a copy on Discogs, got it for £12, thanks for the tip it's a killer :thumbs:

C J Carlos and Tony Monson presented Solar Radio's The Pirate Years- a history of 80's London's soul pirates the other day with guests from Invicta, JFM and Horizon, I've not listened to it yet, but it's on Soundcloud...

Recently upped by Uncle Dugs - Kool FM - Footloose/Det/Times 2/Supreme - June 93 (with a bit of Defection at the start). An absolute cracker :cool:

(@ska invita I know you'll feel this ;))
wicked stuff, thanks for posting it! Includes a shout (at 15mins) to random longtime listener Kelly from Harlow, who Im proud to say I met at Kool 25th bday (Coronet) :D one of those names always getting a shout and still listening to kool 25 years later :D

putting here to watch later
Force of One Crew Mc Cranks Ruthless B Mix Master Max take over Centreforceradio tonight. strictly Vinyl set

Great hoax from someone involved with Radio Jackie, during their pirate era.

In the 70s & 80s the biggest pain in the arse for pirate stations in London was one Eric Gotts, so imagine the surprise in the pirate radio community, and even bigger surprise at the GPO, when this letter appeared in a national music paper, Melody Maker, in 1973, allegedly from Eric supporting pirate radio...

iIRhoBal.jpg

The following week...

D1lOsRil.jpg

:D

stethoscope, yep, that's the bastard.

One of the Jackie team actually took him to court for assault after one raid, and won! As a result of that, for a number of years after, the GPO almost completely stopped raiding stations, specifically Jackie, pending the law being updated to protect their employees. :D

Blimey, I forgot it was Mike Barrington, I used to know him well, he went on to be an engineer on the Radio Caroline ships & is now the main resident & 'Head of Security' on Sealand. :thumbs:

Programmes continued regularly every Sunday into the eighties, with hours gradually expanding to cover the whole day. The station was helped by reduced activity on the part of the Post Office investigators after 1977, who avoided Jackie after engineer Mike Barrington was physically assaulted by the PO's Eric Gotts during a raid and successfully took him to court. Gotts was given a conditional discharge for 12 months but had to pay £350 costs; he unsuccessfully appealed but kept his job.

It was pay back from the Jackie team following their founder being jailed a couple of years before, the only one jailed for operating a pirate station.

1975 saw Radio Jackie disappear from the airwaves for most of the year. Several of the staff had jumped ship to Radio Kaleidoscope, while founder Mike Knight was caught in a raid at another station and sentenced to 28 days in Pentonville Prison because of his previous four convictions. After their return the format of the station began to change, positioning Radio Jackie as The Sound of South-West London and with more content for their broadcast area – though mostly confined to local listings.

Radio Jackie

Just noticed that the founder of Rebel Radio/Dread Broadcasting Corporation & brother of Rankin' Miss P, Leroy ‘Lepke’ Anderson has passed away - RIP. :(

A true pioneer of landbased pirate radio, setting up Europe’s first black radio station back in the 80s, DBC, and later JBC.

Rankin' Miss P started off on DBC before later ending up on Radio 1 presenting the station's first reggae show.

RADIO BROADCASTING legend Leroy ‘Lepke’ Anderson passed away last Wednesday (14 March) aged 63 years-old, following a reported battle with heart disease.

After acquiring a medium wave transmitter, Lepke formed DBC radio (Dread Broadcasting Corporation) from Ladbroke Grove in 1981. From its inaugural broadcast, DBC made history as Europe’s first black-owned pirate radio station, dedicated to playing a wide range of black music including reggae, soul, Afrikan, Jazz and Soca.

Initially referred to as Rebel Radio, Lepke’s friend Mike Williams suggested the name DBC as a pun of the BBC. The rest, as they say, is history.

British radio legend Lepke passes away

I met him once at a Legalise Cannabis all-day gig, that was being broadcast live by another pirate (who's name escapes me, despite having known the operators well), came across as a really nice guy, and true gent.

The funny thing about that event, was the fact the GPO turned-up with a couple of coppers to raid the station, the coppers took one look at the crowd, and clouds of smoke, and decided they wanted none of it, so the GPO guys had to bugger off with their tails between their legs. :D

There's a nice piece in this months Wire magazine about pirate radio sets. I'll scan and upload it in a couple of months time when it's not still on the newsstands (don't want to risk urban getting any legal notices!).

Kool Fm have been off FM for what feels like nearly a year....it least 9 months I reckon
House FM which was always one of the best signals regularly off FM last few months.
I cant even get Rinse on the FM recently (anyone else?)
Seems weird.
Im wondering if Kool are planning an application for a legal license? (Pure speculation)

Back
Top Bottom