Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London pirate radio - news and discussion

nice to see a pic of Smurff (in the corner) who really started Kool
kool-fm-jungle-pirate-london-945-body-image-1438862372-size_1000.jpg

Fantastic tape right here - Kool FM founder Smurff on the decks, the occassional stoned words on the mic, underground hardcore selection - this tape is what pirate radio was all about :D

"Lovely find earlier in thr rave cave lol.....Bit of Brockie then Smurf on a graveyard shift with some great obscure tracks.....Enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Fantastic tape right here - Kool FM founder Smurff on the decks, the occassional stoned words on the mic, underground hardcore selection - this tape is what pirate radio was all about :D

"Lovely find earlier in thr rave cave lol.....Bit of Brockie then Smurf on a graveyard shift with some great obscure tracks.....Enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

That guy is great for pirate radio tapes.

also

Hardcore Jungle Pirate

Radionecks.com Pirate Radio

this one for UK Garage.

UKGLMC

Talk of 'buying and selling dials' between stations makes me fucking laugh. You run a fucking pirate mate, even if you do think of yourself as some sort of budding Alan Sugar. Market bollocks :D

New to forums, was bored earlier so googled about pirate radio and up popped this thread. Its been a great read over 25 pages. I come from and still live in Kent on the South East coast and got to say you guys in London are lucky! there has always been a good choice of stations on even if they have whittled down to not many its still better than zero stations down here lol. I have been into rave music since a little lad, my way into it all was when acts like Prodigy, Altern8 etc were in the charts and it sorta went from there. I remember when I was about 11/12 scanning the dial and managing to pick up Shine 87.9 if there was a lift, used to hang my aerial over the curtain rod or sometimes even hold it out the window. We did have a station coming from Margate for about 7 years in the 00s and has been the ONLY station in recent times to come on, but even in their 7 year existence they were off more than they were on.

When they were off I used to fuck about with the aerial and pick up Charge 90.8, Renegade 107.4 and Lush 107 from Essex. Them stations played mostly drum n bass or garage. Now them three stations have also long gone I can never pick up anything and my radio has been left untouched for over five years. I did a guest slot on a station from Herne Bay but couldnt pick it up where I was only very slightly, so was a buzz doing pirate radio have done sets on them sorts of stations before but down here the scene is dead. Internet stations is what I listen to now, Im part of two but their not on FM obviously. The buzz is there but FM is the real buzz! I miss the days of switching on the radio and hearing my fave sort of music Fr-Sun (very rare pirates round here went on in the week) and it was wicked! especially growing up. I never had the internet when my local pirate came on so it was like an education for me and a reason to dig deeper into the underground music scene. I'm glad the station was on because I discovered so much! being only about 13 then I obv couldnt go to clubs or raves (if there was any in 2000) as I was too young. I missed the boat first time round so have always been playing catch up. I still play old skool plus the emerging hardcore breaks and jungle breaks scenes that have cropped up in last 5/6 years or so. The old skool vibe and sound is still there as is the love but its just driven way underground now and you really do have to look. Its widely available at the click of a button which is good but at same time the buzz isnt there to go out and buy it physically its just download and you have it.

Pirates are still around but from what I hear from friends/acquantances in the pirate world they say the listeners just aint there any more, the phone doesnt ring. People these days use TuneIn app to lock into radio or other means of hearing music via mobile phones or PC. Sadly I feel pirate radio is dying slowly, just an opinion though.

Anyone know what station is coming through on 91.6fm (Hackney area) ?
I've been listening on and off since this afternoon, no adverts or talking just continuous mixes. House most of the time.
I tried googling but that frequency comes up as a Sudanese station :D

I've been listening on and off since this afternoon, no adverts or talking just continuous mixes. House most of the time.
There's a Kent
There's a Kent station called iFm which plays house on that frequency... You could check their website and see if it matches the fm stream?

*sigh* I fucking loved doing pirate radio (Chillin FM 102.9) Saturday at 2 iirc, for about a year - studio in a flat on the 22nd floor of a block on the Isle of Dogs. Probably no one listening but who knows :)

The transmitter was in top of lift shaft with a cutout rigged to the access door - DJs had to be monitoring the broadcast signal live in case it cut out then you knew it was about to come on top.

Record bags weren't allowed in case DTI were watching, had to carry records in and out in rucksacks etc :)

Great days. Have got some shows on tape somewhere, must dig them out

Last edited:
*sigh* I fucking loved doing pirate radio (Chillin FM 102.9) Saturday at 2 iirc, for about a year - studio in a flat on the 22nd floor of a block on the Isle of Dogs. Probably no one listening but who knows :)

The transmitter was in top of lift shaft with a cutout rigged to the access door - DJs had to be monitoring the broadcast signal live in case it cut out then you knew it was about to come on top.

Record bags weren't allowed in case DTI were watching, had to carry records in and out in rucksacks etc :)

Great days. Have got some shows on tape somewhere, must dig them out
Would love to hear that....i couldn't pick up Chillin, but had heard it at friends house a bit and it was a good station from what I remember.... Please post the tapes!

Would love to hear that....i couldn't pick up Chillin, but had heard it at friends house a bit and it was a good station from what I remember.... Please post the tapes!
Will do, would love to hear them again myself tbh :thumbs:

"errr, big shout to the Nigel, hold it down" etc :D

Back
Top Bottom