Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London pirate radio - news and discussion

i left a couple of comments on my rips...cant remember if he answered or not...worth doing so as well for yours

i wonder about this?

RBMA RADIO HIGH FREQUENCIES: LIVE IN LONDON
Saturday Apr11

Time: 4:00 PM – 10:30 PM
Venue: ArcelorMittal Orbit
Address: Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
Price: £10 (Live Broadcast)
Buy Tickets

JOIN IN
Déjà Vu FM, Fantasy FM, Flex FM, Freek FM, Future FM, Kiss FM, Kool FM, Phase 1, Station FM

EVENT
Glasgow,Bristol, London and Manchester for a month-long programme of club nights, shows, lectures, workshops, daytime parties, live radio broadcasts and special events from some of music’s most eminent emissaries.

To celebrate pirate radio's crucial contribution to UK music, the London stop of the 2015Red Bull Music Academy Tour will see RBMA Radio take over Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park's ArcelorMittal Orbit for one day, inviting some of London's most iconic institutions to transform it into a digital pirate station.

RBMA Radio High Frequencies: Live in London

Déjà Vu FM – DJ Dlux + Spooky Bizzle
Fantasy FM – DJ Hype
Flex FM - Deekline
Freek FM – Jazzy D & DJ Laren
Future FM – Terror Danjah
Kiss FM – Norman Jay MBE + Gordon Mac
Kool FM – Eastman, Brockie + MC Det
Phase 1 – Fabio & Grooverider
Station FM - DJ Keithley + Mr Bantan
hosted by Sam Supplier

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/events/rbma-radio-live-in-london
what do you get for your £10? That tower isnt very big....or are they playing outside??

Red Bullsh leaves a bad taste in my mouth tbh

There also used to be bizim fm that played a lot of turkish pop music, though with a decidedly more hackney/haringey boys/girls presenter base in comparison to the middle-class professionalism of LTR. Lynne Featherstone campaigned against it way back when. :eek:

I've been listening to Back2Back for a while now but I couldn't figure out if they were actually a pirate or not. Have you heard the two taxi driver's show on a Saturday 4 -6pm,their banter is quite entertaining!

I wish they had a winamp/wmp stream, haven't heard back2back in ages.

I've not been able to get Back2Back on my radio for ages - wondered why.
Am listening to Freekfm these days. I only have the internet on my phone and no wifi so I'm limited to radio listening generally.

realised the other day that unknown has gone under ~ they were a good station. main station at the mo for me (apart from kool) is house fm < really professional station ~ always good music

I used to like Housefm but I've not been able to get it on the radio for a long time, are they only on the internet?

I used to like Housefm but I've not been able to get it on the radio for a long time, are they only on the internet?
very much on fm still ~ 100.3fm~ also have the best sounding signal imo ~ nicely eqd or whatnot ~ and its a strong signal too

New book...not read it

book-cover.jpg

London’s Pirate Pioneers tells the story of the capital’s pirate radio stations and the people who helped change the British broadcasting system.

From the early hobbyist operations of the 1960s to the big commercial enterprises of the 1980s. From suburban bedrooms to open fields to urban tower blocks. From hippies to soul boys to ravers. The book weaves together a year-by-year account of the developments in London’s radio with the stories of the key stations. It explores the political, social, musical and technological changes that were to influence each stage in their evolution.

Photos from every era take you behind the scenes to see the DJs and engineers at work and the book gathers together flyers and promos from many of the leading stations.

Stephen Hebditch was editor of TX / Radio Today, the most popular pirate radio magazine in eighties London, and has continued documenting the pirates at amfm.org.uk.

See what's covered in the contents and index.
(impressive contents....up to 1990...)
http://www.amfm.org.uk/londons-pirate-pioneers-book/book-contents.html

Published by TX Publications. ISBN 978-0-9932652-0-4. 322 pages. £14.95.

Can I ask a question? How long do you think FM radio will last?

Will it become like vinyl or AM radio and gradually fade away and will all pirates move over to internet radio? Will FM receivers gradually stop being made?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Can I ask a question? How long do you think FM radio will last?

Will it become like vinyl or AM radio and gradually fade away and will all pirates move over to internet radio? Will FM receivers gradually stop being made?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Well the biggest draw to internet radio is that you're not a pirate radio station, so fines etc are all out of the question.... But one thing you do have is that people are less likely to stumble across your station when they're in their cars etc.

I don't think FM will go anywhere for a while yet, not until we're able to reliably connect to internet streams everywhere, in a non battery draining manner, and with a simple enough interface for anyone to pick up straight off the bat.

The real trick is to have your pirate mast away from where you broadcast, and send the stream to the broadcast mast using an internet stream....... I don't know much about the ins and outs of pirate radio, but I imagine thats how a few of them do it, it also means you don't need a studio.

Well, the FM>Digital switchover has been underway for years, and the timescales are still sliding back a bit - I think by 2020 I read was the latest plan.

The (licensed) radio industry IMO is in a real mess. A rich heritage of independent stations subsumed and re-branded by primarily two large media groups: Bauer (Magic, Kiss, etc) and Global (Heart, Capital, Smooth, Gold, etc). |There's ongoing debates about moving away from DAB to DAB+, and the strength/bitrate allowance on the existing DAB/Digital 'Multiplex' infrastructure too is pretty questionable. Since the recession, there's been a lot of fluctuation in how this stuff is developing/expanding, and the BBC who have historically been the biggest supporter of the digital move, having to scale back its own operations.

As for FM, well, there's been a big increase in 'Community' and RSL licenses in recent years - resulting in the likes of former pirates like Rinse and Kane getting licenses which would have been very prohibitive in the past - and that's thanks to the larger groups moving to digital platforms. And, very slowly, Ofcom are getting their heads around how to better channel underground radio/music through legal broadcasting.

Pirates? Well, a few years back I thought the dial was getting a bit stale but it's seems to be hotting up again of late - over 50 stations regularly crammed on the London dial. Rather than seeing internet radio as a threat, most FM pirates are benefiting from the internet to not only get out far and wide, but as a back-up to when they aren't on FM. I can't see the FM dial going quiet for a long while yet :cool:

Some nice radio/record shop pics here - Lock down your aerial! London's 1980s pirate radio scene

Anybody been down to the ICA exhibition yet? Going to try and make it in the next few weeks.

Yes, I've seen it. It wasn't officially open but I was there for the cinema and I saw I could get in as it was already set up.
It's in the Fox Reading Room which is a very small area but there are photos, flyers and blow ups of newspaper articles etc.
There are also a couple of documentary things running on a pc with earphones but they looked quite long and I didn't have time to listen so I don't know how interesting they would be to people.

If you are in the area it's worth a look - just note, for non members, the ICA charge a £1 for 'day entry' unless you are going to the cinema or another event.

I was reading something yesterday which said that internet radio gives FM pirates some deniability. "Oh no officer, we are simply an internet radio station? What's that? Some scurrilous criminal is broadcasting our signal on the FM airwaves?"

No idea if it actually works, mind.

Stephen Hebditch who did the book ska invita mentions was also the man behind the old Uk-Dance forum, which I think was the first web based forum I ever posted on...

Back
Top Bottom