Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Loads of profs and docs dissent from Darwinian "consensus"

Gorski doing what?:eek: Pah!!!!

I adopt the "make a (hopefully educated) guess" approach to understanding your posts, rather than the "this is poorly expressed" approach. You will have to learn to live with one or the other.

Aw shucks:oops:

I'm borrowing a lot from Hilary Putnam (or at least his relatively recent philosophy - 1990's onward). I think it would interest you as well, if you are not already familiar with it. Read this interview for a quick taster.

He mentions problems of reference. I think this is central, and its a very post-"linguistic turn" type of problem, and its very related to the philosophy of the mind. Really the problems we have been talking about are routed in 20th century philosophy, not 19th century philosophy. Saussure, Kuhn, Quine, Wittgenstein and Putnam himself all ended up fueling relativism despite themselves. Gorski is not the only one to see Hegelian thinking as underlying relativism (or something approximate), whereas Kant underlies a fixed ahistorical moralism (or something approximate). But I think this is just a case of projecting our modern problems backwards in time.

Cheers for the reference - will take a look.

BTW, just got myself a new copy of Minima Moralia for six quid, as it's one of those things I seem to lend out to people and never get back. Lots of stuff right from the outset that is relevant to the present discussion. I had completely forgotten how great it is, and how incisive. Less of that Mitteleuropean turgidity that we all know and love...

BTW, just got myself a new copy of Minima Moralia for six quid, as it's one of those things I seem to lend out to people and never get back. Lots of stuff right from the outset that is relevant to the present discussion. I had completely forgotten how great it is, and how incisive. Less of that Mitteleuropean turgidity that we all know and love...

Its online now, and I've had a quick glance through it myself. It does seem relevant to what we've been discussing (particularly aphorism 81). But I'm uneasy of the way he raises broad sociological theses in such an off-hand manner. There's always a bit of the "that's as maybe" about Adorno's writings in my opinion. For example, he talks about the "cult of the important". But its quite arguable that Nazi Germany's obsession with race and other nutty pseudo-scientific ideas, for example, distracted them from what was important even in their own terms.

I would contrast him with Lukacs (to whom he owes a lot). When Lukacs analyses philosophical thinking he portrays tensions in the way the bourgeoisie see themselves, he doesn't move directly from this to a sociological thesis as this would freeze the tension. So in saying less Lukacs says more. But that's my opinion and I don't really understand the Frankfurt school/ Western Marxism/ critical theory or really any of this sort of mixing of philosophy and sociology.

Well I guess that reflects its origins as a kind of interrupted conversation-between-friends with Horkheimer, and he's obviously got his own set of reservations and disclaimers about the aphoristic style.

The Critical Theory lot (if you include everyone that has at some point been subsumed under that label) are such a mixed bag! Not really a school at all....

Just a few notes, then back to my MA...

Yes it is a school of thought, interested in critical approach to any area of "knowledge", including their very own presumptions and how they affect the way they think, feel and act...

It's important to a "Marxist" to find a sociological, real substratum of their thinking/categories used, even if they write in loadsa jargon, "authentic" or not.... Emancipatory change is rooted in...?!? Which class or group exactly? For which reasons? That is something many here have no clue about... Fanciful "thinking" that it's enough to claim "revolutionary potential" or just hope that one day it'll happen and not even bother to show where from exactly, which segment of the population is in such a revolutionary position, objectively and subjectively, what is necessary for it to happen and all that follows from it...

Lukacs used to be, for a while, under Stalin's thumb directly, then quite close to being eliminated in Hungary also and so on, ergo quite "involved" in a manner that precluded him from having the necessary freedom to think and express exactly what he meant. Later he was very self-critical, for loadsa good reasons.

Plus the usual mistakes that both him and Heidegger made, albeit from different positions.

But the worst thing an intellectual can make is to go very quickly from theory into practice and policy. That's pure Stalinism and Nazism and the FS wants to give account of that and be very seriously grounded and not deluded, searching for a possible root/agent of change...

Btw, what was "really important" for the Nazis was self-destructive, so by definition that regime was self-imploding.

Yes it is a school of thought, interested in critical approach to any area of "knowledge", including their very own presumptions and how they affect the way they think, feel and act...

Logically our presumptions underlie our knowledge. We believe X in part because of our belief in Y. But is this a causal relation of X & Y? Is Y causing X?

There is no reason to think that we can critique our knowledge by critiquing our presumptions.

Again you can look at this in terms of Hegel's Aufheben, or you can look at this in terms of Marx's contempt for philosophising, or you can look at this as a crucial point of Wittgenstein's philosophy. I prefer the latter, but it translates well into Hegel's cruder (IMO) mode of expression, if you prefer that.

The presumption that we need to look at presumptions is also a trap that Lukacs avoids (at least most of the time).

Lukacs used to be, for a while, under Stalin's thumb directly, then quite close to being eliminated in Hungary also and so on, ergo quite "involved" in a manner that precluded him from having the necessary freedom to think and express exactly what he meant. Later he was very self-critical, for loadsa good reasons.

Plus the usual mistakes that both him and Heidegger made, albeit from different positions.

But the worst thing an intellectual can make is to go very quickly from theory into practice and policy. That's pure Stalinism and Nazism and the FS wants to give account of that and be very seriously grounded and not deluded, searching for a possible root/agent of change...

I actually admire Lukac's Stalinism. He grasped the nettle. I think he was wrong, but it wouldn't have been more correct to pontificate from the sidelines. In this respect Lukacs was unapologetic. It isn't so much that it is hard to come up with the proper theory before putting it into practice, it is rather that such an attempt is senseless.

Btw, what was "really important" for the Nazis was self-destructive, so by definition that regime was self-imploding.

Sure, you can qualify the meaning. And here the theory becomes powerful. It describes everything, but in doing so it explains nothing.

I have always quite liked Benjamin's idea of 'crude thinking', i.e. theory boiled down into a form amenable to action and struggle. It reminds me of the way that in learning a physical discipline like a martial art or a musical instrument one practices the most subtle refinements of technique, perfect balance, minimal effort, the highest degree of grace in the external form etc, but then all of this is forgotten (but hopefully not completely discarded) in the struggle of the material application, where the point is simply to succeed, to use whatever means necessary, ultimately to prevail.

One can go on turning clay pots on the wheel forever, but sooner or later if they are to be of any use, you have to put them in the kiln.

K, you're such a poor troll... Back to the drawing board, must work harder...:rolleyes::D

F, I disagree, most profoundly! From Machiavelli onwards it's "built into" a theory to think through its means of delivery/putting into practice... or else...

K, you're such a poor troll... Back to the drawing board, must work harder...:rolleyes::D

Its a very simple point. The work required is moral work, not intellectual work. You need to want to understand it. You need to not be afraid of error. You need to not let the fear of error become the fear of truth.

F, I disagree, most profoundly! From Machiavelli onwards it's "built into" a theory to think through its means of delivery/putting into practice... or else...

What, any theory? How to explain the huge lacunae of pointless theorising then?

Plus there is no account of all those theories which were not intended to be practical but ended up being practical. Why are there so many obscure academic discplines/topics? Again its this sweeping sociological generalisation from the supposed analysis of a thought traced back to historical routes. It means nothing. Really.

Oh, crikey... Me afraid you not get it... Solly...:hmm:

:D

I suppose that will be another case of the sort of conceit which understands how to belittle every truth and turn away from it back into itself, and gloats over this its own private understanding.

I suggest a quote-off :D

It's certainly an understanding that is likely to remain private for the foreseeable future, given that level of exposition.

We certainly have wandered a long way from the original thread topic.

Anyway, a bit of Wittgenstein to round off the week:

In general the sentences we are tempted to utter occur in practical situations. But then there is a different way we are tempted to utter sentences. This is when we look at language, consciously direct our attention on it. And then we make up sentences of which we say that they also ought to make sense. A sentence of this sort might not have any particular use, but because it sounds English we consider it sensible. Thus, for example, we talk of the flow of time and consider it sensible to talk of its flow, after the analogy of rivers.

Have a nice weekend all. :)

I don't think Wittgenstein would necessarily object to somebody talking about the flow of time. That would be like objecting to all poetry. In Philosophical Investigations he often talks about being bewitched by a mental picture. But this is not to say he objected to mental pictures.

Does the phrase "cult of the important" have a use? Do we know how to use it? Do we know when we can't use it? Are there any criteria? It certainly paints a picture and we can fit the picture to various writings. But how do we agree on where we fit it? How do we analyse the thought behind the words?

I'm not saying this to criticise Adorno. I'm coming to a better appreciation of him if anything. Minima Moralia is a wonderful artist's impression of the world. To rubbish it would be like rubbishing the operas of Weil and Brecht.

What, you'll have one? Uh, I won't... Must work... That's why I can't write any more...:hmm:

Ciao!:cool:

Well yeah, personally I'm cleaning my house which makes a weekend of writing look postively appealing in comparison. :(

Susan Blackmore in the Guardian today:

It may seem odd to say so, but most people do not understand natural selection. Perhaps they never learnt about it at school, or perhaps they did understand it once but then forgot. I have explained it to intelligent students who assumed that they already understood it but when asked to explain it they could not. Darwin's great idea is so simple, and yet so slippery. So in case you are one of those, here it is in a nutshell – plants and animals produce far more (slightly varying) offspring than can possibly survive. Starvation, disease, predation, and unattractiveness mean that only a few go on to breed again. At each step the survivors pass on whatever adaptations helped them and so gradually they become better designed. You could call it "design by death". Like a human creating a sculpture by chipping away wood, nature's weeding-out is the force that creates new design.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/sep/04/religion.evolution

My typing is a bit restricted 'cos I have broken two fingers. :(

And where's sheer luck/chance in all this?:rolleyes:

[Ooops, that must have hurt...:(]
That comes into it when causing mutations, and also in some selection. It's all probabilities. If you're 'fitter' you're more likely to survive, plus or minus some chance due to good/bad luck. Over time, good/bad luck is averaged out, however.

It doesn't hurt at all btw, it's considered part of the model.

I think Gorski meant the broken fingers! :D

And yes it did a bit, but not as bad as you'd expect. Nothing like breaking a major bone thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom