Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Llandudno, north Wales - photos, chat and things to do

I'd love to visit Llandudno (although I may have gone when I was three or something, but that doesn't count).

We could do a walk there! It's only 3hr 25mins direct from London on the train.

i love llandudno. one of my fav places in the uk. haven't been since madge was about 2 or 3, think we are due another visit!

i did not like the cable car though :eek: :D :oops:

I remember going there for a long weekend many years ago. I was interested to see that the shops in the main town had a continuous covered veranda that meant that you could walk along the street and be protected from rain. The veranda was probably Edwardian if not Victorian. It may not be there nowadays though. Its existence speaks of the local climate I expect. If you like seaside towns you will like it. It is on a peninsula with a hill behind it called The Great Orme. There is a pier and all the usual features of an old seaside town.

I remember going there for a long weekend many years ago. I was interested to see that the shops in the main town had a continuous covered veranda that meant that you could walk along the street and be protected from rain. The veranda was probably Edwardian if not Victorian. It may not be there nowadays though. Its existence speaks of the local climate I expect. If you like seaside towns you will like it. It is on a peninsula with a hill behind it called The Great Orme. There is a pier and all the usual features of an old seaside town.
I love places like that. I'd like to go.

Llandudno isn't that bad, it has some good and fewer bad bits - like most places, but I would say Rhyl is more run-down / kissmekwik style.

have mate who lives near there and he says drugs are huge problem around there, plus town is hell hole on Saturday nights for fighting, thought it used to be dead posh,
Never knew phildwyer was your mate. :confused:

Anyway, both the descriptions of the place as rough now and extremely posh once could be right. After all, Brixton was dead posh once upon a time, but it's been pretty rundown (apart from gentrified patches) for the last 50 years or so.

I take the kids to Dudno quite a lot. It's still got what same attraction Rhyll and Prestatyn had when we were kids. We go and do the toboggan run at the ski place on the Orme and then hit the pier with our 2p's and then fish and chips, quick skim on the beach, Larden always ends up in the sea in his undies (Even in November), and then home.

It's changed a lot in recent times but in a lot of ways it's remained the same. None of the things you say make it rough or are they new mind. The North Wales coast has had a drug culture since the 80's heroine explosion, most North Wales High Streets have a barney on them at closing time (Compered to nearby Bangor or Caernafon it's positively chilled and it's not really been dead posh since Victorian times :D

It's just like the rest of the North, nothing special.

Last edited:
I take the kids to Dudno quite a lot. It's still got what same attraction Rhyll and Prestatyn had when we were kids. We go and do the toboggan run at the sky place on the Orme and then hit the pier with our 2p's and then fish and chips, quick skim on the beach, Larden always ends up in the sea in his undies (Even in November), and then home.

It's changed a lot in recent times but in a lot of ways it's remained the same. None of the things you say make it rough or are they new mind. The North Wales coast has had a drug culture since the 80's heroine explosion, most North Wales High Streets have a barney on them at closing time (Compered to nearby Bangor or Caernafon it's positively chilled and it's not really been dead posh since Victorian times :D

It's just like the rest of the North, nothing special.
rhyl saddens me as a town as say many have written it off, government, locals other towns it wasn't always a rough house place !

I love Llandudno. When I was a child I loved climbing the Ormes and going on the funicular railway and playing in the park (Happy Valley). I visited again as an adult a few years ago expecting the worst and to be honest it's still quite genteel for the north wales coast, though very much faded glamour. I wouldn't particularly think of it as 'rough' - still way a cut above places like Rhyll.

Rhyl is very sad, again was a favourite childhood place, the Sun Centre etc... but I've always wondered if that was the naivety of childhood and actually it was always a bit skanky.

I love Llandudno. When I was a child I loved climbing the Ormes and going on the funicular railway and playing in the park (Happy Valley). I visited again as an adult a few years ago expecting the worst and to be honest it's still quite genteel for the north wales coast, though very much faded glamour. I wouldn't particularly think of it as 'rough' - still way a cut above places like Rhyll.

Rhyl is very sad, again was a favourite childhood place, the Sun Centre etc... but I've always wondered if that was the naivety of childhood and actually it was always a bit skanky.
the town I live near holywell is not much better, lots of folk out of work, drugs, crime, place is dirty,

but it does have its highlights 2 good pubs !!

Lived in Llandudno for a bit as a kid. S'alright. Nice views of the sea and the mountains. Used to be a decent record shop there.

Better than Rhyl. Big drugs problem there.

Where do you live gareth taylor ? I know the area well.

the town I live near holywell is not much better, lots of folk out of work, drugs, crime, place is dirty,

but it does have its highlights 2 good pubs !!
I lived in Greenfield for a wee while whilst growing up. Shit hole for a teenager from Liverpool to be dragged to by his wonderful parents:facepalm::D I loved the fact that you could quite easily drink underage in the pub then though:cool:

Lived in Llandudno for a bit as a kid. S'alright. Nice views of the sea and the mountains. Used to be a decent record shop there.

Better than Rhyl. Big drugs problem there.

Where do you live gareth taylor ? I know the area well.
whitford a village around 2 miles from holywell, I have lot of mates from the town but some folk I cross the street to avoid !

Back
Top Bottom