Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Llandudno, north Wales - photos, chat and things to do

Hi BB.

I did my driving test there in about 1992. Everyone drove like they were supposed to and stopped at zebra crossings and things liked that. It was like actually being inside the Highway Code.

What exactly do you want to know?

I live half an hour away and usually go to Llandudno for the cinema, shopping, walks and ice cream along the front etc.

The Victorian front really is a gorgeous place for a romantic walk, or to go throw pebbles in the sea.

mwgdrwg said:
What exactly do you want to know?
Whether it's a nice place to visit? Things to do on freezing days - nice walks? Nice pubs around?

Not too sure tbh - just want to find out what the place is like really.

Been offered a self-catering cottage to run away to for a week at christmas... not sure if it's a bit close to all my family in Birkenhead though - looks it on the map :D

I don't know about pubs over there, haven't been drinking there in donkey's years.

If you're looking for somewhere with nice walks then you are in the right place. You have the entire North Wales coast, and Snowndonia, on your doorstep.

There's lots of old people in Llandudno though...that's not to say it's not a nice place. But it's not the liveliest.

Ah ok - sounds like an option then - cheers.

Not really after lively, just somewhere to get away from work, London, chill with a bit of food and drink :)

Great Orme is, er, great... tram up to the top is on a ridiculous gradient. Wild goats up on the top. The prom is lovely, if you don't mind a blue-rinse overdose.... great architecture.
Also North Wales Theatre has some good stuff on, although Xmas will probably be panto time.
Llandudno is still owned in large part by the local landed gentry (aka Mostyn Estates) and hasn't, as a consequence, become one of those anonymous plastic town centres. Thank heavens for feudalism, eh?

PS Llantwit - does that joke involve a tattoo and Ludo...

went there during my honeymoon about 6 years ago...we stayed in rhyll, but llandudno was close by, and, if ya get the chance to go up the great orme, DO it...specially the copper mine up there :)

a mate told me that on a train from bangor into englandshire the train stop was introduced as:

"lladudno junction, centre of the universe" :D

Its quite nice.
We have a static caravan in Towyn, nr Rhyll and we often drive up to Colwyn bay or Rhos on sea and walk along the shore to Llandudno.
I suspect its quite quiet around christmas.... albeit for the pensioners ;)

erm... never did go in the end, but still thinking about it for next year :D

Is it quite flat or hilly? Not got a car, so thinking of taking the bikes and wondered if it'd be easy getting about?

But the ll is kind of cl, but got that sound that scouse and russian have, and I've forgotten the name of :oops: guttural?

erm... never did go in the end, but still thinking about it for next year :D

Is it quite flat or hilly? Not got a car, so thinking of taking the bikes and wondered if it'd be easy getting about?

Ranges from a bit hilly, to very very hilly indeed. :)

Lovely place I thought. Real old school victorian sea side resort that has somehow resisted tack & tat.

(Avoid being near the drinking barn boozers though, like the whetherspoons, at chucking out time though. A bit leary.)

Lovely place.

Rollem and I went when she was up the duff (first time). If you want to relax it's great.

The only moment of stress I had was being attacked by a seagul. :) A wing in the face was quite funny tbh.

The great orme is worth seeing. There's a tram that goes up there or the cable cars (which will never be running due to the weather).

It's a nice town imo. Think Bournmouth without the international students and add 10 years to the average age.

Good old fashioned pier and sea side.

I reckon I'm convinced :)

Won't be until next year, maybe Spring, but something to look forward to :)

Yay! :D

llandudno.jpg

But the ll is kind of cl, but got that sound that scouse and russian have, and I've forgotten the name of :oops: guttural?

more like 'L' with a 'TH' breathed through it, than 'CL'

my wife's from south London, and she can manage it - so its not beyond the wit of 'your people' :D

(I am just kidding you BB, Llandudno is nice, the fact that its fully of older people is a plus in my book - and Snowdonia is great)

Back
Top Bottom