Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Living with Covid plan

Badgers

Mr Big Shrimp!
R.I.P.
Cabinet splits have emerged over the government’s “living with Covid” strategy, with Sajid Javid expected to push to retain some free testing and community surveillance of the virus in the face of a Treasury demand to slash the budget.

Ministers including the health secretary and the chancellor, Rishi Sunak, are expected to meet on Thursday to discuss the strategy before it is announced next week.

The Guardian revealed this week that Sunak’s Treasury is seeking to cut the budget for remaining Covid provisions by up to 90%, from £15bn this year to as little as £1.3bn in future years.

#thiswillgowell

5504.jpg

Masks in my Covid yard are down to about 5%

Testing down about 50%

Positive tests still the same

Elderly and vulnerable people are very scared. A lot are not online and a fair few without phones, they count on these services.

A lot of people come to us for advice. For family, relatives, work, schools, travel, quarantine, isolation, vaccinations and general peace of mind.

This #ToryScum shit is just another blag disguised as 'moving on' and it infuriates me.

Locking down too late and ending restrictions too early. We know how this goes...

Fuck the #ToryScum

I would not trust this current shower with anything more important than a cup of warm piss tbh
I wouldn't the fucker would think it was beer and drink it (cheese optional)

There doesn't seem to be much forethought going into their decisions here, the alternative to free testing isn't people paying for tests, it's people not bothering with tests at all.

What about you Badgers you once of these people on fixed contracts that they are talking about.

I think planning for ending isolation requirements and free testing at the moment or even in the next three months is seriously premature.
Not to mention the ditching of mask regulations ...
Couple of people in my office very much "sick of it now, we need to move on with our lives". Not sure what"it" means to them. Another saying "Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I see Covid as a cold". Well do you. Doesn't make it fucking so

What about you @Badgers you once of these people on fixed contracts that they are talking about
Am still working on it but our staff have reduced from 40 to 10. Officially I am contracted till end of March, but the plug could be pulled end of February. Fuck knows?

Hard on our staff and people are scared.

Luton is one of the worst in the UK for vaccination uptake and cases sad to say. The council wants to keep free testing going but are mostly reliant on central government funding.

My test centre now has three parts. One is witnessed (for certain hospital appointments/visits and some workplaces), also the distribution of home test kits.

The other is general Covid information. The rules in all areas are very hard to follow, even for us working full time. For the elderly, vulnerable, homeless or refugees it is impossible. We did not have a remit to do this but created it because people need it.

Have regulars who come to us to test twice/thrice weekly. Several on mobility scooters or in wheelchairs. They don't use the internet and many do not have mobile phones. These are the people who will end up hiding indoors for years.

My other role is 'Vaccine Reassurer' which is mostly a thankless task but also very rewarding. Deal with people who are scared/unsure more than the 'AntiVax' types, particularly women of child bearing age and multi generational households.

It will all be gone and the government will blame the people for fucking it all up again.

Would you buy a used car from Nick Triggle? I wouldnt, I have 'other spending priorities'.

Despite the huge number of Covid infections this winter, the overall numbers of deaths have remained in line with what we would normally see during winter.

That suggests Covid is no longer an exceptional threat so it is understandable the exceptional response taken to manage the virus should be reviewed. Covid will now have to compete with other spending priorities.

During the pandemic, £37bn has been set aside for testing and tracing. That is a huge sum - more than has been budgeted for GP care over the same period. It could, for example, make huge inroads into the hospital waiting list.

A big scaling back of testing is expected alongside the end of the isolation rule. Concerns will naturally be raised.

However, it is worth bearing in mind that whatever happens we are not going from 100% to 0%.

Only around half of people who are infected come forward for testing and so are never asked to isolate. Of those that do, a fifth admit to not adhering fully to the isolation guidance.

Stopping asking people who have symptoms to stay at home, as the government will next week, may not quite make the difference it may first seem.

He's been warming up the 'half of people werent getting tested anyway' softener for a while so its no surprise to see it again in this new article. And he's always been the propaganda face of the UK PLC's cold pandemic calculations for me since early in the pandemic when he had to sell the original plan to have everyone carry on with their lives and catch it in the first wave. I cant say I was even aware of his existence before the pandemic, but whatever happens with the virus in future I am not planning to learn to live with Nick Triggles output without making noises.

I guess that all you can do is look at the costs and benefits of spending on testing, including a realistic assessment for what else the money will be spent on. The benefits are being clearly rehearsed, so I won't dwell on them. The realistic alternative is likely to be things like tax cuts, frankly, which doesn't sound like a great option to me, but there you go. But how much will it actually save the government to drop the free testing? It seems quite difficult to get proper figures. "£37bn has been put aside for testing and tracing" doesn't mean that free tests costs anything like £37bn. In fact, it sounds way too high -- even if every person in the country is doing two tests a week, that is likely to cost around £1bn a year from my back-of-a-fag-packet calculation.

Anybody know anything about these people?

My instinct is that they are one of these right-wing pressure groups like the Taxpayers' Alliance, but maybe I'm doing them a disservice. Anyway, they present some figures for how much things are costing, most of which should be taken with a pinch of salt (like the "support for" measures, since this kind of government spending is rapidly returned in taxes). But they estimate £5bn for "other support and operational expenditure" so far, which is where I guess the cost of testing is included. It's far more consistent with my quick calculation. If this is accurate, it sounds like testing is a relative drop in the ocean of government spending, and the benefits it brings can be weighed against that.

I guess that all you can do is look at the costs and benefits of spending on testing, including a realistic assessment for what else the money will be spent on. The benefits are being clearly rehearsed, so I won't dwell on them. The realistic alternative is likely to be things like tax cuts, frankly, which doesn't sound like a great option to me, but there you go. But how much will it actually save the government to drop the free testing? It seems quite difficult to get proper figures. "£37bn has been put aside for testing and tracing" doesn't mean that free tests costs anything like £37bn. In fact, it sounds way too high -- even if every person in the country is doing two tests a week, that is likely to cost around £1bn a year from my back-of-a-fag-packet calculation.

Anybody know anything about these people?

My instinct is that they are one of these right-wing pressure groups like the Taxpayers' Alliance, but maybe I'm doing them a disservice. Anyway, they present some figures for how much things are costing, most of which should be taken with a pinch of salt (like the "support for" measures, since this kind of government spending is rapidly returned in taxes). But they estimate £5bn for "other support and operational expenditure" so far, which is where I guess the cost of testing is included. It's far more consistent with my quick calculation. If this is accurate, it sounds like testing is a relative drop in the ocean of government spending, and the benefits it brings can be weighed against that.
The National Audit Office? No, they are not a right wing pressure group.

Per Wikipedia, The National Audit Office (NAO) is an independent Parliamentary body in the United Kingdom which is responsible for auditingcentral government departments, government agencies and non-departmental public bodies. The NAO also carries out value for money (VFM) audits into the administration of public policy.

In summary, they’re the government’s financial auditors.

Last edited:
Sounds like the shitheads even intend to scrap the weekly ONS infection survey. So they dont want the psychology in play from people still being able to hear figures like 'one in twenty people were estimated to have covid' every week.

Under the new plans, the Office for National Statistics infection survey, which randomly tests a sample of the population, is also expected to be replaced with a slimmed down surveillance programme.

I guess back to something like the very small sentinel surveillance systems that this country always favoured in the past, stuff I've moaned about not being good enough and hoped we had permanently got beyond.

I dont know if the wastewater surveillance will survive, but at the moment thats only reported on once a month anyway, with rather a lot of lag.

Do not through caution to the wind says Johnson, as he throws caution to the wind and robs people of good enough data to make personal risk assessments, refuse to go back to the workplace etc. The fucking state of the mixed messages in this, the naked agenda. He deserves to have this sort of shit end up undermining confidence, and it will for some people, but the government will be banking on it being a small minority they can ignore.

"I think it's very important we should remain careful," he said.

Mr Johnson said: "I don't want people to get completely the wrong idea, I'm not saying you can totally throw caution to the winds - Covid remains dangerous if you're vulnerable and if you're not vaccinated, but we need people to be much more confident and get back to work."

I was beginning to trust a few people if outside or in fairly empty airy venues. I remain terrified of unvaccinated, untested, possibly infected people just getting too close or touching me. This just makes things more scarey and going to public places more difficult. I'd been wondering about trying public transport in time, but now I'm not sure.

Also:

On the issue of changes to testing arrangements, the Welsh government spokesperson said any decision to alter them "would be premature and reckless".

It follows a joint letter from Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, Wales' First Minister Mark Drakeford and Northern Ireland's Health Minister Robin Swann warning of the need to keep existing testing in place.

(from Covid: Living with Covid plan will restore freedom, says Boris Johnson )

I havent found that letter myself, is it publicly available somewhere?

Back
Top Bottom