Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Liverpool -Where To Go?

moonsi til

worked it out now!
I’m going to Liverpool in June , well me & other sisters taking eldest sister as part of 60th birthday celebrations. They are coming from Glasgow & none have ever been.

I have been a few times mainly for festivals , gigs , clubbing & once doing touristy stuff which no doubt I will do again however I don’t know the city well.

We are there from Wednesday 12 noon until we leave Friday. I will book a walking tour for when we land as I love a city walking tour then probably just out to eat that evening & maybe The Cavern Club?

Thursday we have a full day -any suggestions? I want to be quite active & efficient & have a few drinking & eating places to go to.

Friday I’m taking them back to my house in the Midlands via Crosby Beach & Southport but we could stay something in Liverpool in the morning.

Loved Ye Cracke when I went there oooo 50 years ago, had music of a weekend but don't know whether it still does.

Also loved the Everyman to eat at again 50 years ago, lovely atmosphere to it, pleased that it's still open apparently.

It did have the best chippy I've ever been to on the edge of bombed out terraced housing around Edge Hill as I recall but that'll definitely have gone now :(

Everyone should see the Philharmonic pub's toilets:

1711930863420.png

Have a look at the Anglican Cathedral. It's a cathedral but it was built the 20th ceentury (it took 70 years!).

A masterpiece of scale and space.
Defo this.

Worth paying to go on the roof. Although it's pretty hairy if you're scared of heights (like me).

Both cathedrals are worth a visit imo, as is the Tate and the slavery museum. It's also quite fun to take the ferry cross the Mersey. Don't get off at Birkenhead though, just stay on and come back again.
The cavern club isn't actually the original one but is still a good laugh. The whole Matthew Street area is a laugh but you will be rubbing shoulders with various stags and hens so it can be a bit much. Ropewalks is better I think, but it's more hipsterish.

Reactions: Sue
The Tate is fab. The Beatles Story, even if you have a mild interest, is worth a look. I just really loved walking around the docklands, it's very pleasant

The tour of McCartney's and Lennon's childhood homes is superb... if you're not interested in the music, it's still interesting seeing 1950s/early 60s houses in their original set up.

We were just talking about going to Liverpool , Mrs21 has never been, I spent a week there in the 70s , stayed with my Aunty Peg , she is a nun (now retired but do you ever retire from Nunning?) I haven't been back since .

Vote for everything above (including staying on the ferry, nobody needs to see Birko unless you live there and even then.....)

I always try to visit Ship & Mitre for a drink. I know people love the Crown but it's not my favourite. There are other pubs, guys!

Vote for everything above (including staying on the ferry, nobody needs to see Birko unless you live there and even then.....)

I always try to visit Ship & Mitre for a drink. I know people love the Crown but it's not my favourite. There are other pubs, guys!
Rude.

Used to love the s&m when I lived there. There is also Liverpool's oldest pub down there off dale street, the hole in the wall?

Depending on your food preferences, Bold Street seems to be all-encompassing in that area. Also I can recommend Chinatown --- some places better than others, but wasn't paying attention to the place names when I was last there (which is several times a year, as one of my kids is studying there)

You really won't be short for walking routes ... my own favourite is Crosby Beach (its massive) and has the Anthony Gormley statues dotted about --- get a Merseyrail train to Waterloo and use that as a good starting point.

Mei Mei Berry Street Chinese
Leaf Bold Street cocktails snacks brunch dinner
Bakchich Lebanese Street food Bold Steet
Mowgli bold street Indian small plates
Alma de Cuba Seel Street evening /formal/bar dj
Find Berry and Rye on Berry Street for good cocktails in quiet booths
I'll Forno Duke Street Italian
Egg Cafe vegan/vegetarian top floor 18 Newington
Panoramic 34 near pier head must book. Good view over river cocktail/small plates or meals
Maray bold street and Albert Dock [vague but good Middle East menu ]
The Swan Old pub wood street
Posted House/Lisbon are queer friendly pubs with food Victoria Street /Stanley Street
The Crack old pub past the bombed out church
The pilgrim old pub
The quarter in faulkner Street brunch
Someone else mentioned the Casa in hope Street
Ma Edgertons if you're early for the train home opp lime street side entrance nice old pub

Liverpool City centre has so many places to eat and drink all near each other so you'll be well served

Now I'm hungry

• Love
Reactions: izz
Back
Top Bottom