Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lightpull - how to get the cord back into the ceiling fitting

chainsawjob

Kipping in the dunes
IMG_20220912_094558.jpg

IMG_20220912_094620.jpg

Anyone know how I get the cord back into that tiny hole in the white plastic part? Second one shows a functioning one for comparison.

I've tried undoing 2 tiny brass screws on the edges of the white fitting. But then realised they're probably securing the ends of the black and red wires, so put them back again.

I suspect that the answer might be to replace the switch this would do the job. I've never had the string break there always below the insulator. But that white bit looks pretty sealed to me.

The light was permanently on until I unscrewed the tiny brass screws (and then couldn't get one back in again :facepalm: ), but didn't come back on again when I turned on the electricity again. Off is preferable!

The string pulls start to look scubby after a while - not sure how to prevent that - I should probably replace mine after six or seven years.

The string pulls start to look scubby after a while - not sure how to prevent that - I should probably replace mine after six or seven years.
Long ago when I was stupid, I painted the string when I was doing the ceiling, made it look good for about a week so don't do that people ! I guess replacing the grub-attracting string with some less-grub-attracting cord at installation might stave off the grubbiness but who thinks of that at the time eh ? 😊

I could cut off the bottom bit near the top and replace it but then I'd have an unsightly knot in the cord ... unless I could use sort of sleeve to disguise it :hmm:

you could thread it with beads to stop it getting dirty in the first place ;) I have never gotten round to doing that other than a bit wide enough for our hands :D

Mine has a short length of cord coming out of the switch with a connector at the end. Then the long cord attaches to that.

So, when the long cord gets grubby you just go to the local hardware store for a new long cord and replace it.

TBH I thought they were all like that.

ETA: Like this

View attachment 342436

Mine isn't like that, but it's a good idea.

View attachment 342440

The bit circled (badly) in red is the entire point of the pull cords it should mean the two pieces of string never touch so it doesn't matter how wet they are your still seperate from anything live. If it isn't there you should probably look to replace the switch.

No, mine is attached to a plastic hook under the cover, it isn't coming into contact with anything live.
I know because I have changed the cord on it.
But it would be easier if it was a little further down the cord.

No, mine is attached to a plastic hook under the cover, it isn't coming into contact with anything live.
I know because I have changed the cord on it.
But it would be easier if it was a little further down the cord.
Sorry never seen one like that! Have seen a number where when the plastic broke people have tied the string together though!

Back
Top Bottom