Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let's go foraging

I use it to wrestle big thick bramble branches out of the way, lift up hanging branches with fruit underneath, pull forward the big ones at the back, and twist nettles out of the way. Dead handy bit of kit.
I take secateurs to get right in there. Not been needed this year much as so much fruit and no one else picking apart from the birds.

I have a years supply of jam done already.

I feel if I don’t pick more it’s a waste somehow. So thinking about wine. The last lot wasn’t so good. Will have to try harder.

Off topic but got so many gherkin cucumbers to reap tomorrow morning. It’s pickling sunday.

I take secateurs to get right in there. Not been needed this year much as so much fruit and no one else picking apart from the birds.

I have a years supply of jam done already.

I feel if I don’t pick more it’s a waste somehow. So thinking about wine. The last lot wasn’t so good. Will have to try harder.

Off topic but got so many gherkin cucumbers to reap tomorrow morning. It’s pickling sunday.
Do you cut the branches with them? I never like to do that, don't wanna damage the plant.

I get bramble frenzy, can't stop while there's still some left. It does feel like a waste, I'm the same. What about blackberry brandy? Just bung 300g per 75cl brandy and 200g sugar in a demijohn, swish daily, then weekly, then leave til xmas. Lush.

Always good to keep some in the freezer anyway, bung in porridge in the winter.

There's a really huge bramble spilling over someone's wall in our road, but everything above knee height (by which I mean dog piss height) has already been had off it.
Is the season quite early this year? That particular plant/group of plants started fruiting in early July!

Do you cut the branches with them? I never like to do that, don't wanna damage the plant.

I get bramble frenzy, can't stop while there's still some left. It does feel like a waste, I'm the same. What about blackberry brandy? Just bung 300g per 75cl brandy and 200g sugar in a demijohn, swish daily, then weekly, then leave til xmas. Lush.

Always good to keep some in the freezer anyway, bung in porridge in the winter.
Inspirational:)

There's a really huge bramble spilling over someone's wall in our road, but everything above knee height (by which I mean dog piss height) has already been had off it.
Is the season quite early this year? That particular plant/group of plants started fruiting in early July!
No,been like this last few years.

Fella's just got another 1kg from the smaller patch. More jam incoming then. I was really impressed with the jam this time. I made some years ago when I first started making all this stuff, and it was crap - muted flavour, overset. This time I macerated the fruit, only for an hour, and used my awesome digital thermometer. Oh, and I left the jam to settle in the pan for 15 mins as recommended, so the fruit doesn't sink to the bottom of the jars. Absolutely perfect set and distribution in the jars, and a fucking awesome colour and flavour. Wow. I stuck to making bramble jelly for years but it's good to have a different type of preserve in, and the flavours are completely different.

So, gonna make another few jars of jam, but will try macerating overnight this time.

I use it to wrestle big thick bramble branches out of the way, lift up hanging branches with fruit underneath, pull forward the big ones at the back, and twist nettles out of the way. Dead handy bit of kit.
I go out with a single gardening glove to literally grasp the nettle and an old umbrella to use as a fruit hook. Bumper season so far with 15 gallons of bramble wine started so far. Got the first ripe elderberries this morning which add a nice bit of tannin to the brew.

Nice one. I stopped foraging them a few years ago. Only made winter syrup from them anyway for colds and flu, but I just buy Sambucol now. What you planning to do with them?
I make them into wine - mixing them 40/60 with blackberries - counters the sweetness of the blackberries and adds nice depth and a bit of tannin. Lots of faffing about with a fork to separate them from the stalks - but its worth it. 🙂

I make them into wine - mixing them 40/60 with blackberries - counters the sweetness of the blackberries and adds nice depth and a bit of tannin. Lots of faffing about with a fork to separate them from the stalks - but its worth it. 🙂
It is a lot of faff. I did once make a vodka liqueur with them which had lemon peel in it too. Was extremely tasty, kind of peppery but fruity.

Back
Top Bottom