Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lesser Spotted Comedy Gold

ska invita

back on the other side
A thread to post some comedy gold, ideally things that people might not have come across

really enjoyed this, 30 minutes of Vic n Bob just riffing, nothing scripted...amazingly quick the pair of them

Do people know Why Bother?, the Peter Cook/Chris Morris collaboration?

Also, I have fond memories of I Am Not An Animal, the Peter Baynham cartoon about talking lab animals with voiceovers from all the people who were in all the UK comedy things in the 2000s.

Turns out Geordie Jeans was a real place
315522704_8263542997052866_5548788914796781405_n.jpg

49896476_10157697024248840_8586351442518867968_n.jpg

led to

led to

and to

and even to

So many! I loved Comedy Nation on BBC2 in the late 90's. It was basically zero budget sketches from up and coming comedians, and whilst there was a lot of rubbish in there, there was also some proper surrealism and utter comedy gold. It had early Peter Kay, Sacha Baron-Cohen, Julian Barrett, Mitchell and Webb, Simon Munnery, Ricky Grover, Kevin Eldon and Julia Davis for starters. There's not much of it available online sadly, I do hope the original tapes still exist at least. Here's one as an example

Sadly I still I can't find the one which had the Sacha Baron-Cohen 'Shvitzen' song in it, which used to send me to another planet of mirth. It's sort of in this video, but is annoyingly narrated, rather than being left to its own devices in full.

Comedy Nation also got me into David Hoyle as the Divine David, which led to an awesome series of six episodes called 'The Divine David Presents'. So, so much good stuff in that. I think all the full episodes are on YouTube, but here are some of my highlights as separate sections.

Back
Top Bottom